Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Seriously....MapQuest just updated their FREE app and enhanced their Turn by Turn Nav with overhead map view.

Works fine on my iPhone 4........

.....and Apple can't provide Turn by Turn on the iPhone 4? Seriously?

I can understand not doing 3D mapping on the device....but how much computing power does it take to show a flat map....and a little flat car and have a voice tell me where to turn?

Seriously....MapQuest does this for FREE....and it's pretty nice (for a FREE app).

I'm a bit disgusted by Apple. And don't tell me the phone is 2 years old....my parents just bought the updated 8GB iPhone 4......and they won't get this either.

-Kevin

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Seriously....MapQuest just updated their FREE app and enhanced their Turn by Turn Nav with overhead map view.

Works fine on my iPhone 4........

.....and Apple can't provide Turn by Turn on the iPhone 4? Seriously?

I can understand not doing 3D mapping on the device....but how much computing power does it take to show a flat map....and a little flat car and have a voice tell me where to turn?

Seriously....MapQuest does this for FREE....and it's pretty nice (for a FREE app).

I'm a bit disgusted by Apple. And don't tell me the phone is 2 years old....my parents just bought the updated 8GB iPhone 4......and they won't get this either.

-Kevin

i dont understand it either, maybe its complete laziness or its a marketing strategy for apple to get people to spend more cash of buying a new phone. Thank GOD i switched to a 4S when it came out. I guess you will have to keep using your map quest app and other third party apps...its a shame on apples part, ohhhh gotta love the greed

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Your phone is 2 years old, what do you expect?

What do I expect? How about what do I know it can do?

Look at the number of GPS apps for the iPhone 4....each of which provide Turn by Turn navigation....and work just fine on the iPhone 4.

What is Apple's Turn by Turn solution? Does it let me bypass traffic? Do I get to my destination quicker?

Don't give me the 2 year old BS......for things like 3D....I'll buy it....but basic turn by turn....not a chance.

-Kevin

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The best excuse I can think of is the Siri integration. And 4 doesn't have Siri. Other than that makes no technical sense. Business sense is a differ story.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
maybe its complete laziness or its a marketing strategy for apple to get people to spend more cash of buying a new phone.

That's basically what it is.

I mean, I'm complaining more in general. Our contract is up....so I'll get the iPhone 5 regardless.....but people who just bought the iPhone 4 when the 4S came out.....that's a craptastic deal.

-Kevin

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
That's basically what it is.

I mean, I'm complaining more in general. Our contract is up....so I'll get the iPhone 5 regardless.....but people who just bought the iPhone 4 when the 4S came out.....that's a craptastic deal.

-Kevin

I'm personally happy that the 4 doesn't get turn-by-turn. Keeps the value of the 4S up that much higher than the 4 and shoves it in the face of iPhone 4 haters who said "the 4S isn't a real upgrade" :D

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I'm personally happy that the 4 doesn't get turn-by-turn. Keeps the value of the 4S up that much higher than the 4 and shoves it in the face of iPhone 4 haters who said "the 4S isn't a real upgrade" :D

This made my night :p

-Kevin

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

You do realize most 4 users are already upgrade eligible while your probably still on 4S contract when the 5 comes out. :p

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada

wow never really looked at it that way, ill be able to sell it for more when the iPhone 5 comes out :p thanks man!!!

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
isn't turn by turn directly linked into siri? And why did your parents buy 2 year old phones?

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
It's because it works with Siri. Which the last time I checked iPhone 4 did not have.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
isn't turn by turn directly linked into siri? And why did your parents buy 2 year old phones?

Why the hell would turn by turn have anything to do with Siri?

If it does...then Apple is smoking something.

Again...it doesn't matter if the phone is new or 2 years old......do a search on the store for apps that currently do turn by turn perfectly fine on the iPhone 4.

More advanced stuff....I understand Apple not doing it. Turn by turn flipping directions....makes no sense other than Apple doing a money grab.

-Kevin

----------

It's because it works with Siri. Which the last time I checked iPhone 4 did not have.

Are you confusing it using the Siri voice to "works with Siri"?

I mean....ok I can ask Siri for directions.....but isn't that just passing it off to the Maps app?

It is still a stand alone app.

-Kevin

EDIT:
Definitely nothing to do with Siri.....according to Apple:
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later.

The iPad 2 isn't getting Siri.

-Kevin

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.