Apple can't Match!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by highmarcs, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highmarcs macrumors newbie

:rolleyes: After seriously considering a mac, based on two things, an interest in one of their propriatary programs, AND rumors that Apple was going to start pricing more reasonably, I have decided to go P.C. The new MacBook Pro only has 512mb memory a 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo, a 6 Cell Lithium Ion battery and a 1 year warranty. Apple wants $2000.00 for these base specs. I went to Compaq.com and customized a 14" Compaq Intel Core Duo and selected the upgrades of a 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2 GB memory, Wireless w/Built in Blue Tooth, A 12 Cell Lithium-ion battery and an additional 2 years added onto the 1 year warranty and the total came to $2,085.99. People, these specs can't be debated! What's a better use of my $2000.00? For $86.00 more, one gets SO....much more. There is no question, Compaq will be getting my Core Duo $$$$. Any thoughts?

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

hahahha i love newbies posting just to upset people.

4. highmarcs thread starter macrumors newbie

That's All?

:rolleyes: Let's not get into name calling. What about the specs. Look at the specs? Yes, it's a $2000.00 Compaq because it's twice the computer and warranty. I'm sure a Compaq with the MacBooks' specs and warranty would be at hundreds cheaper than the Apple. Any thoughts?

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

yes compaqs are obviously the best computers in the world, due to their quality build. wait wouldn't that be the opposite.

And well enjoy XP while i have my 3 OS X computers and in a few months time my 4th OS X computer a MacBook Pro

6. jruc4871 macrumors regular

Yeah, enjoy Compaq and XP. You'll need the warranty and your computer will be boring.

Maybe you can use the money you're saving on Antivirus software.

7. highmarcs thread starter macrumors newbie

This Just In

:rolleyes: I just knocked the Compaq down to the MacBooks' specs in processor, memory, battery, warranty, etc. Guess what?The Compaq is only $1374.00. MacBook, still $2000.00! Any thoughts?

8. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

It's not too bad, but the screen is just 1280x768, it has a lousy GPU and no dedicated VRAM, it doesn't have a camera and you need to add a lot of software to match the MacBook when it comes to security and productivity.

Different people will have different priorities. Good luck with your Compaq.

(And I got $1640 before rebates when I tried to match the processor and memory)

9. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Okay, I'll bite.

The Compaq extended service plan is $99. MacBook Pro doesn't have an Ion battery. It is Lithium-Polymer and rated at 60 Watt-Hours, which is probably about the same as the 12-cell Lithium-ion in the Compaq.

Let's try comparing like-with-like as far as possible. The V2000T with 1.83GHz proc, 512MB of memory, Windows Professional, WiFi, Bluetooth, 12-Cell battery, Outlook, Word, Excel, Norton, Photo Album, 1-year warranty comes to $1799.

For that $200 difference, with Apple you are getting a larger, brighter and higher resolution screen, a built-in webcam ($39 external from Compaq), a remote, better graphics card (ATI Mobility X1600 with 128MB VRAM), backlit keyboard, digital audio in/out, DVI output and a FireWire 400 port. Obviously, you are also getting Mac OS X operating system rather than Windows, with all that entails.

Edit: fix a couple of typos

10. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Ummm wasn't Compaq rated like LOWEST on customer satisfaction? Apple Highest? (According to PC magazine). You make get some higher specs in some areas but where it counts (hint: customer service) I think you will be disappointed. Plus, Apple just gave all laptop orders a free upgrade. Has Compaq ever done that? hmmm. But you do get XP which is great cause now you have a reason to buy antivirus software. SCORE!!!:)

11. jhu macrumors 6502a

jhu

you think mac users don't use their warranty? there are so many sob stories on this board about how the user's laptop died or logic board needed replacing or etc. the original poster is correct: based on specifications alone of the machines themselves the compaq is a better deal. personally, i wouldn't spend $2000 on any computer.

12. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I would love a link to the spec page of the Compaq laptop that you are dealing with so that I can play around with the configurations and enjoy this 'awesome deal' too!

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Anyone up for some troll hunting? :D

Attached Files:

14. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

[​IMG]

Webster's picture of a troll - hmmm - what's that he's holding?

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You also get Gigabit ethernet, illuminated keyboard, an Apple Remote w/ Front row, and the MagSafe power adapter. Yay! :)

16. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Plenty of thoughts - the first being that if you are so sure you're getting a good deal, why waste your time and ours posting here about it? Want us to agree? Mostly we won't. Want an argument? Most of us can't be bothered.

There are so many people who just don't get it. A good system is barely anything to do with hardware - it's in operating systems and software, thus what gets the job done that needs to be done with the smallest fuss and the most satisfaction. That's why, as a professional systems administrator, when I go home I power up a Mac.

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

People like that don't deserve to use OS X.

In nearly any industry, a better product is going to cost more money. There's more to a computer than technical specs. Plus the MacBook has several features you can't even get on any PC.

Plus the fact that you should be embarrassed to pull a Compaq out of your laptop bag.

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Excellent post. And let's not forget that the Macbook comes with a Superdrive as well.

We're also not taking into account yearly (or even monthly) Anti-virus costs, software costs (let's face it, shareware and freeware ona MAc own anything in Windows land).

Yeah, I'm with the others. Have fun with your crappy Compaq, who's RAM and extras are MORE proprietary than Apple's. The less people we have around here trolling about windows the better.

19. highmarcs thread starter macrumors newbie

Ha....

:) That's it? That's all you've got? I already own a Compaq Desktop, and have had it for two years already, with NO trouble. In addition, as far as I know, Apple doesn't build/manufacture ANY of their hardware. It is ALL outsourced to low cost generic Asian manufacturers like EVERYTHING else these days. Asus (generic Asian tech parts maker) makes the Apple laptops. I'm not sure who makes the iPod, but I guarantee you, it's not made in some Super Quality Apple Owned, Apple Run, manufacturing facility! Such an animal does not exist. As far as my P.C. being "boring". It's about what it does, not what it looks like. Performance is in my opinion what keeps a computer from being boring. But hey, if you want to pay double, tripple for shiny white PLASTIC and less flexability in software and hardware accesories, then go ahead! Knock yourself out!

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Truer words have never been spoken. We all need to scream, SCREAM this from the highest mountain tops! So many seemingly PC proclaimers always get mired down in the numbers.

21. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

I suppose it's cheaper because Compag doesn't use a big design team.

[​IMG]

Actually looks like a half-a$$ed copy of a PBook to me. :rolleyes:
    But to each their own.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that this person's other inane thread was closed because it was just used to get a little rise of people here, I think we can close this one too.

23. noel4r macrumors 6502a

All right highmarc, Compaq is king. Now, stop convincing the rest of us otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.