Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-car-silhouette-250x218.jpg
In an in-depth profile about Brian, Kevin, and Michael Sumner, three brothers said to be working on the Apple Car, The Information reports that Apple's rumored 2020 target for launching the much-rumored electric vehicle, codenamed Project Titan, may have slipped to 2021.
The group has run into challenges, say people briefed about aspects of Titan along with other reports. Its top executive left in January, a sign that things there weren't going well. One person who worked briefly with the Titan team was told during their tenure at Apple that the company had been trying to deliver a vehicle by 2020 but the target slipped to 2021.
The report refers to the January departure of Apple VP of Product Design Steve Zadesky, who was believed to be leading Apple's electric vehicle development efforts since 2014, as one of multiple challenges that may be pushing back the target date for launching the vehicle. Tesla CEO Elon Musk previously said the so-called Apple Car is unlikely to be ready by 2020, calling it a "missed opportunity."

With seemingly another three to five years of research and development ahead, Apple's roadmap could change. Last September, for example, The Wall Street Journal reported that the Apple Car was labeled as a "committed project" with a prospective 2019 shipping date. Tesla, meanwhile, has sold the Model S since 2012 and received some 400,000 pre-orders for its lower-priced Model 3 due in 2017.

The bulk of Apple's electric vehicle development is believed to be underway in Sunnyvale, California, a short drive from the company's Cupertino headquarters. Apple has reportedly recruited hundreds of engineers from Tesla, Ford, GM, Samsung, A123 Systems, Nvidia, and elsewhere to work on the project, said to have been approved by Apple CEO Tim Cook in 2014.

Article Link: Apple Car's Rumored 2020 Launch Target May Have Slipped to 2021

Reactions: Vanilla35

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Also 2021 is after Presidert Trump completes his first term as president. How much you wanna bet this is all about Cupertino not wanting the deal with a DOT gutted and rebooted by The Donald?

Reactions: AleXXXa

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
of course it has. if you look at my post history, i've said that target date was WAY to premature. Its a car. Honda has been doing it for years and i've got a recall for a airbag with them.

Apple needs to take this super slow. i still think 2025-2030 is more reasonable.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Rumored launch date of a project that is not publicly acknowledged has slipped to a new rumored launch date.

Apple is failing to meet rumored launch dates!

Has anyone posted a joke about watch ban .... Oh, never mind.
Rumor site posting about rumored products failing to meet rumored launch date.

New silicone watch band coming soon with NFC built in for wireless key for iCar.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Shift it to 2100 and focus on the Mac again.
I heard that you still make those, is it true?

But yes, I get it, no margins there, cars are much better I suppose, especially when you consider that Apple can push the premium stance.

To think I could buy my computer from a car manufacturer one day and have to listen to Timmy telling me how he doesn't want to spread too thin, has to say no to so many things, talks about some things are best done by others (read: where they don't get the margins they want/the control over their platform)

Glassed Silver:mac

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Tesla has literally built the greatest cars of all-time; its only challenge (but a huge challenge at that) is scaling its manufacturing to compete with larger auto makers. Tesla could therefore contribute to preventing and reversing the effects of climate change, but it can't do that by replacing all of the Mercedes models on the road; it has to replace all of the Honda Civics.

I am not sure how Apple will be able to compete with Tesla in this space without facing similar issues, and how it would be able to reach more people at a more affordable price. Make no mistake, no amount of car-to-smartphone connectivity would outweigh the average person's bottom line. To most people, their car is a huge investment; while they might be able to justify springing the extra couple hundred dollars for a MacBook Pro vs. a Windows PC, they may not be able to justify crippling themselves over the 10s of thousands of dollars an Apple Car would require above the price of a Toyota Camry or Chevy Malibu. At present - and likely for a good chunk of the future - there is simply no way that a new auto maker can compete in terms of manufacturing and infrastructure with other auto makers. Just not going to happen.

Last edited:

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Vehicle turnover is slllllllooooooowwwwwwww. They have all the time in the world. Apple didn't miss an opportunity, Musky. By 2020, Tesla will still be precisely no where in terms of market share.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This story is behind a paywall. Anything actually interesting in it?

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Tesla has literally built the greatest cars of all-time; its only challenge (but a huge challenge at that) is scaling its manufacturing to compete with larger auto makers.
:rolleyes: If Tesla had anyone willing to buy their cars, they'd find a way to make them, I assure you.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Also 2021 is after Presidert Trump completes his first term as president. How much you wanna bet this is all about Cupertino not wanting the deal with a DOT gutted and rebooted by The Donald?
Gutting the DOT would help automakers.

stevet

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
I believe this. The last report when the executive left was that unrealistic deadlines by people that don't know what is involved in designing and building a car were being leveled on the team. Someone with experience leaving based on that is a dark sign of the road ahead for them. I'm waiting in the Tesla line.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I will be very surprised if Apple makes a car UNLESS they plan to use other manufacturers parts -- such as the engine. Otherwise, building a vehicle is a MASSIVE undertaking due to technical and regulatory requirements.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
:rolleyes: If Tesla had anyone willing to buy their cars, they'd find a way to make them, I assure you.
It's a vicious circle: Tesla can't sell cars because Teslas are too expensive, but Tesla can't scale its business to make its cars more affordable because Tesla can't sell cars.

If you could buy a Tesla, would you? I probably would. I think a lot of people would.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Oh no not a whole year *buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurp*
[doublepost=1469115241][/doublepost]Will it have beats speakers and a big bass tube for that "Ghetto" sound that Dr Dre likes?
[doublepost=1469115324][/doublepost]
Vehicle turnover is slllllllooooooowwwwwwww. They have all the time in the world. Apple didn't miss an opportunity, Musky. By 2020, Tesla will still be precisely no where in terms of market share.

Apple fanboi'ism at its finest. Care to make a wager about that Telsa market share. Lets say $10,000 USD? Put your money where your mouth is?

Reactions: TechGeek76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.