Apple Care & Other Such Beasts...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eagle51389, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Eagle51389 macrumors member

Jan 24, 2007
    Hey everyone. I posted a little while ago about a MBP that I had some questions on. I got really good answers from everyone and I really appreciate it. I think I'm gonna go with the 15.4" MBP with the faster proc, 256VRAM, 2GB Ram, 160GB HD. The only thing I'm still deciding on is the screen glossy v. matte. I'm pretty sure I want the matte screen, but I will be going into an apple store soon to finalize that aspect of it. The real question I have is regarding AppleCare. Since it is a three year plan, and I plan on being in uni for 4 years, is there anyway I can postpone buying it until the second year? What are the built in warranties that apple gives you out of the box? I guess what I'm trying to say- is there any way I can stretch it to 4 years in total, or what?

Thanks in advance!!!!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    It actually only covers years 2 and 3 (and phone support past 90 days). The Mac comes with a 1 year warranty (90 days phone support).

I know of no way to extend it to four years.

Also, you can buy it anytime in the first year - you don't need to purchase it the day you buy the Mac.
  3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    Some credit cards offer an additional year of warranty coverage beyond the manufacturer's warranty. I know that some of versions of the American Express Card offer this as a benefit. If you buy AppleCare then the extra year is a 4th year after Applecare expires