Apple care Q

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LethalWolfe, Mar 13, 2003.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm curious, can Applecare be purchased after you purcahse your Mac, or does it have to be purchased when you purchase your Mac?

Lethal

2. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I believe you can purchase AppleCare as long as your computer is still under initial (1yr) warranty.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

As stated you can purchase it up to the time that your first year ends. Apple has always sent me a mailer and and email reminder asking if I want to purchase AppleCare.

My policy has always been to buy AppleCare if the computer is having noticeable problems or is a infested with gremlins. If not and the thing is perfect for the first year why waste the money unless you plan on selling it right away.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Re: Apple care Q

Actually while it is true it can be purchased anytime before the 1 year warranty is up, the important factor is that you must also register the AppleCare before the warranty is up. I would recommend giving a 2 or 3 week leeway so there is no question oof whether the AppleCare was registered in time or not.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: Re: Apple care Q

ive seen people buy applecare the last day before it ends so they could get their computer fixed, and they are good to go.

iJon

6. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Make sure that if you cut it close to the deadline, Apple will ask you to fax in proof of purchase of the computer that you are registering.

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

yeah, i always wait until the first free year is almost up or else you lose out on a free year of service. i waited until the day before once and they made me send a copy of my receipt. no big deal, they still honored it. but i would do it about 2 weeks before just to be safe. you don't want to get screwed because it's a leap year or something silly ;)

8. Bear macrumors G3

Actually the length of the extended Apple Care isn't affected by when you buy it. It expires 3 years from the date of purchase of the <i>system</i> and not from when you buy the AppleCare.

So delaying the puchase doesn't make sense for that reason.

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

are you sure? i don't think this was the policy when i purchased mine. i know the prices and rules are different for different systems. when i bought mine i was under the impression that i would receive 3 years of Applecare starting from when i purchased the plan, not the system. infact, i remember being on the phone with Apple customer support once and they asked if i wanted to purchase Applecare and i said i wanted to wait until my first year was up and the guy pretty much said "that's a good idea". now i'm curious. hmmm...

10. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

nope, it's from when you purchased the computer. if you go to applecare on the web site, or look in the pamphlets the give out at stores, it says it extends your 1 year warrenty to three years. i thought it was the other way too, a while ago, but then i read the thing and was corrected. actually, if you plan on getting APP anyway, its best to get it ASAP, because it also extends your 90 days of phone support to three years as well, and the sooner you get that, the more phone support you'll have.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah everyone else is right, people are usually mis informed. this is a simple way to say it. applecare adds two years on top of the 1 year. you can buy it the first day or the last day, it doesnt matter.

iJon

12. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i stand corrected. that's a bummer. maybe they should stop advertising it as "3 year protection". i hate marketing tactics.