Apple Care Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nmals23, Mar 14, 2007.

1. nmals23 macrumors newbie

I just got my new BlackBook, and I'm super pumped. One question (and brace yourselves, 'cause it's a dumb one)....was I supposed to get install discs for Apple Care? I ordered it, but when I set up the MacBook, I didn't see anything referencing it.

Was I supposed to get something? Am I supposed to register or something (I did the usual registration upon startup -- I used my apple ID that I use for iTunes).

By the way, I'm new to the Mac world -- long time PC user (like that wasn't obvious).

Thanks for the help!!

-nm

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'll give you the long answer:

AppleCare is essentially just a serial number that you plug into an online (or mail if you really want) registration system that extends the hardware and software warranty of the computer whose serial number you associate it with. The physical package also includes a disk with a basic troubleshooting utility on it--you can use it to do a hardware scan and check for directory damage on the hard drive. That software can be downloaded from Apple's site, however, using the computer's serial number.

It is possible to order a computer "pre registered" with AppleCare, at least if you're an institution, but generally if you're buying for the home you will get a separate little red and white box in the mail (usually before the computer if you order them together, but it could be after--check your shipping status and see if there's more than one box on the way). The box will contain the AppleCare serial number that you "link" to a computer through the registration system, and that CD.

It's easy to check if the computer already has the AppleCare extended warranty associated with it: Just go to Apple's support site and plug your serial number into the little warranty check box. If you don't have AppleCare associated with that machine yet, it'll show a warranty date about a year from purchase. If you do, then it'll show three years from purchase, and if you register and Apple ID you can log into the AppleCare site and download the disk utility from there.

The one thing that people sometimes get confused by is that all Apple warranty stuff is based on the computer's serial number, period--has nothing to do with the current owner, and the warranty starts ticking the day it arrives at your house (if you bought it from someone other than Apple I think there's a procedure in the online system for getting the correct purchase date in). AppleCare pretty much just changes the expiration date associated with the particular serial number you register with it.

The pain, if you ask me, is that if you want an Apple monitor but didn't buy it along with a computer, you basically can't get an extended warranty for it. If you buy it with a computer, the monitor extended warranty is basically a freebie.