Apple Care Rocks

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bdugan, May 24, 2006.

1. bdugan macrumors regular

I sent my mbp in on Monday because of its whine, the screen buzz, and startup problems. I got it back today wednesday and now it boots up fine, the screen buzz is gone, and whine is barely noticable.

Thank you Apple!!!

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3. flying.pig macrumors newbie

Let me understand... do you pay about $300 for MBP AppleCare in the US??

Here in Italy price is 439,00 euro, so $ 560 :eek: :eek:

It seems to be too much difference...

4. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Wow, normally I have the same experience, but with my MBP I am really having to push. Even when I talked to some guy on the corporate level I had some convincing to do and they said there are no guarantees but they'll check it in for extended diagnostics. *fingers crossed*

5. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

I ordered the extened warranty with my 17'' MBP the MBP came already does anyone know when the warranty should come or how does that work i just register the computer and i get the apple care too?

6. Zorkon macrumors newbie

That's excellent. AppleCare does indeed rock. A friend of mine in Montreal bought a used Powerbook that still had about a year of Applecare on it. He discovered the battery wasn't holding a proper charge the night before he was leaving on a business trip to the US.

He popped over to Apple's website, looked up the Apple store in the city he was flying to and booked an appointment with them online. He then flew over the next day, caught a cab to the store, and they were waiting for him with a replacement battery, all covered under warranty.

That's pretty impressive - usually warranties apply only in the country of purchase. AppleCare for mobile devices applies internationally.

7. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Excellent news. Thanks for the info. And welcome back to your MBP.

Now I feel much less ripped off for having purchased Applecare. Haven't even received the computer yet, but now I'm not (as) worried a/b long turnaround time if I ever need a repair. Seems like they've got things more under control than a 2 months ago.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

$289 (or thereabouts) for my MacBook.

9. PekkaR macrumors newbie

Greetings from Finland. MBP AppleCare is 449,00 euros here, so pretty much like what you're quoting (and a little more tax ;) ). However, with education discount it's only 372,10 euros. Now consider that the OP might have gotten his AppleCare without paying any tax for it, or that's how I've understood it goes: in some of the states, they don't have any tax for internet purchases yet. So there's (possibly) your price difference. =)

- PekkaR

10. bdugan thread starter macrumors regular

actually its under my one year warranty, but im definately gonna buy it once the one year runs up because of the service. worth it to me

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

your much better off just getting some laptop insurance, that way it protects against accidental damage and theft and it's cheaper.

i got free applecare because i bought from the NUS uk store.

(don't any peeps PM asking about it, if you live in the uk get an NUS card register it online and use the apple store via www.nusonline.co.uk)

12. electronboy macrumors 6502

AppleCare rocks until you get a non-native english language speaker in a foreign country.

13. Merlyn3D macrumors regular

Meh...I thought so too, especially since they haven't outsourced to India, until I learned that their phone lines are only open from 6am to 6pm, what kind of hours are those? IBM Thinkpads have 24hour phone support AND they're based in atlanta (so no outsourcing to india). Most of their laptops come with a 3 year warranty standard and same level of service, same speed, same overnight shipping. This, in my opinion, is the one thing lacking with applecare. A lot of nights i don't even get home until after 6pm.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

15. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I have only gotten an indian guy once. He kept spelling out the most simple tasks in rreeaalllyyy ssllloooowww english (he was actually quite proficient, but was speaking slowly for my benefit). Even when I assured him that I knew how to reset PRAM he explained it to me like 4 more times. I just ignored him and was done with the diagnostics before he even finished explaining them!:D

The Americans are generally cool, albeit sometimes in a bad mood.

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

What does this have to do with Apple Care?

Your MBP has a 1 year warranty, which it was still under. Regardless of having Apple Care or not, your MBP would have been fixed.

Some people seem to be under the impression that Apple Care provides you with preferential warranty treatment. It doesn't.

17. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Dell's warranty on notebooks is actually better than Apple's. They may be indian, but if you drop your laptop and it breaks or you dent it or anything user-inflicted, they'll fix it for ya. Apple doesnt cover user-inflicted problems.

Now, im not saying you should buy a dell, just that their warranty is better. Probably cause dells need it more often.

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Really?

19. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Well i guess not...

Dell lied to me.

Dont know why...

Hmm...

20. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

That sounds great to get good laptop insurance and all but where can you get some?

I can get some from my college if I do get accpeted (yes still waiting for accpetance in late may) that will cover theft and abuse, but if I dont get in is there somewhere that I can get insurance?

21. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Safeware.

22. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe