Apple Care w/ Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ghetto Sheep, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Ghetto Sheep macrumors newbie

Im going to buy a macbook pro in the next couple weeks and a few months later a 30in display. I know if you buy the laptop and the display at the same time applecare covers both. But if I buy the display in august when I leave for college will the applecare for my macbook pro cover it for the three years or should i just ask my parents to get the display now and I pay them back. I dont need the display right now and it would make my wallet cry, thats why im asking. Thanks for your help.

2. turtlebud macrumors 6502

I'd wait and buy.

1. The current apple displays are a bit overpriced, especially for what you're getting. No arguments from me about the design and look, but if you look at the specs, you'll be able to get a better/similar spec'd monitor from dell for less.
    2. There's applecare now that covers just the monitor. In the past, if you wanted to cover an ACD with applecare, you had to buy it at the same time as you did a powermac or a powerbook. For $99, they have applecare for just the monitor now ($79 if you're a student). So I guess you can "afford" to wait because you still have the option of applecare even if you don't buy it right now with you macbook pro.
    3. Apple will likely update their displays in the next 6 months (don't quote me on that cause I really don't know for sure, but it seems likely at least by WWDC). I'm sure the new displays will have improved specs and/or a lower price tag for what you can get a 30" now. I'd hate to buy one now only for Apple to come with a better display for less later this year.

I was considering getting a 23" with my g5, but decided to wait for these 3 reasons. I'm in no hurry since I have a monitor right now, but I'd love a new ACD and I'll be ready to seriously consider one when/if they come out with a new line. Otherwise, I can always look at the dell displays, which will inevitably be cheaper later this year.