Apple care?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Omad0n, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

So I'm goign to be buying a new computer soon, still haven't decided bertween the iMac or the mini, with its new lower pricing on updates. Regardless of which way I go though, I'm curious as to what you all think of apple care. Personally I've owned macs and related products (iPod) for years and never needed the apple care, but who knows, maybe others experiences will help me figure out what to do.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's a good investment, particularly for the peace of mind it provides - I think of my 800MHz 17" iMac as "ancient", and yet it has over half a year left under warranty.

If you bought lots of Macs, you'd be better off not getting it, probably, and saving the saved money for repairs on the few that broke down. However, mine has paid off on my PowerMac already - fixed the 20" ACD that I bought with it.

Note that you can wait 90 days before buying it with NO repercussions, and a year if you're willing/able to do without free phone support after 90 days.

I'd especially recommend it for the iMac. For the mini, well, it's a pretty big percentage of the cost of the whole system. Unless you think there's a better than, say, 1 in 4 chance it'll break after a year and before three years, it probably isn't worth it.

3. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

My iBook G3 was the first product from Apple that I didn't buy AppleCare for. In a way, I saved some money since this computer had so many problems relating to the logic board program that I have gotten all my repairs for free. Before that, I had AppleCare on an old PowerMac G3 and it was nice because I got the display replaced twice for free and if I remember correctly, the modem and CD drive.

Seems like many would suggest getting AppleCare for an iMac just in case the screen dies. The computer would be pretty useless without the screen and I imagine would be a very expensive repair. Just remember that even though you are buying a Mac, it's not a perfect machine and will break at some time. Also remember that if you are going to buy an Apple display, buy it in the exact same purchase as the computer and the AppleCare will cover both!

4. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

My SDD died on my PB, and AppleCare saved the day for me.

With the Mac mini, I might think twice, since the cost is 1/5 of the machine. But then again it buys peace of mind. Too bad Best Buy isn't sell the Mac mini in the store (for me at least). There service plan works out well. My other half got a replacement computer (better than the one he bought) because of the lemon part of the warranty.

5. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Definately a good investment. Especially when you can find AppleCare on eBay for less than $100 bucks in many cases. Just don't forget to buy your Apple computer and monitor at the same time so you can get both on one AppleCare.

6. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I bought Applecare for my laptop, but I wouldn't for a desktop system. Just read Consumer Reports and you'll see how much the industry makes off of these extended warranties because so few products actually need them.

7. deral macrumors regular

deral

ooh curious. you have linkage or ballpark estimates?

8. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

Who cares how much they are making off of them?? Bottom line is, $99 bucks for 3 year peace of mind on a $4,000 investment...It's really a no brainer. Warranty costs are built into everything. You may not know it, but you are being charged for it on just about anything you buy. But it sure is sweet when something doesn't go as expected and you're covered.

By the way, in terms of Consumer Reports, out of my experience those guys bend to the highest bidder in terms of their "results".

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So right you are on the basics of warranties. Though I think the $99 is for the Mac mini EDU, with the standard being $149. Still just $50 a year for new Mac switchers (which brings to mind, I hope they beef up the telephone support lines for all the newbies coming to the Mac). On a $4000 desktop system you would expect $199 EDU/$249 standard. Still not bad IMO.

I think you are talking about Consumer Digest. Consumer Reports AFAIK has gotten some heat for slamming manufacturers that they have always given high marks to in the past. Yet give them praise when the next product performs well.

10. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Get the Applecare.

The current systems have too many components that have been changed or added recently to assume they're "bug free". Even the MDD and Quicksilver G4's, which were the EOL for a VERY well debugged design had a few issues here and there.

iMac: 2nd Generation
    Mini: 1st Generation
    eMac: Plagued by CRT tube failures and now EOL'd
    G5 Tower: 2nd Generation.

It's more critical for laptops, where all the parts are harder to get at (52 screws between you and an iBook's HD), not to mention that HD's fail more often in laptops than in desktops AND all the parts cost more.

I have always advocated AppleCare. I've worked for a Reseller that was an AppleCare service center and I can tell you that the extra cash is certainly worth it. Most techs will charge you $110.00/Hr with a minimum of one hour plus the cost of parts. Most parts average out to about $300.00.

Considering that most problems people bring their machines in for a repair are software problems the 1 year's worth of phone service is a godsend. Better to be on the phone with Apple and have them tell you to get Norton and fix it yourself (aquire a skill) than have to go down to the Service Center and spend 10 days waiting and $300.00+ on something you could have fixed on your own with a little phone support and $80.00 for Norton Utilities.