Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Does anyone know if Apple Care Protection includes accidental damage? Dell and some other PC brands offer this. I skimmed through Apple's website and was curious if this extended to user accidental damage? I couldn't find any mention of it on the FAQ sheet. I have two little kids and I do not want a $2500 paperweight on my hands if my chilldren bump it off the coffee table while I am getting something to drink.

Baja2k

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2003
Texas
Apple Care

I happen to have and Apple Care kit right here because I bought it with my new G5 that is not here.

Quote page 2:

The Plan does not cover:

a. .......
b. Damage due to accident, abuse, neglect, misuse.......

And it goes on.

I would have to say you are not covered under the Apple Care agreement.

I do not know if they offer a supplemental agreement for accidental damage. It was not offered to me when I purchased mine.

Regards,

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
AppleCare does not cover accidental damage, and personally I think this is a good thing... otherwise you'd have people accidentally dropping things after about 11 months and 30 days old and getting it either repaired to brand new spec or having a replacement issued...this would then affect AppleCare premiums, and make them even more expensive. AppleCare is a extended manufacturers warranty that extends the original 12 month guarantee to cover any manufacturing or component faults that occur through normal use.

If you're worried about accidental damage have your house and contents insurance changed to reflect single item cover worth X amount for cover on both a fault and accidental damage. New for old is a handy option as well.

I plan on getting AppleCare for my TiBook just before the 12 month original warranty is due to expire (I have no need for telephone support on my PowerBook), I also have insurance to cover my PowerBook if I drop it, lose it, are mugged (unlikely, I'd rather drop and jump on my PowerBook then let some scum-bag have it!) etc etc...

Total cover, and total piece of mind!

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Oh, so I shouldn't hit my Pimo with a hammer the day before Apple Care expires? I thought that would be a sure fire way to get a new G4 Powerbook. And I thought I was so smart. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.