apple carputer....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by srdashiki, Aug 28, 2004.

1. srdashiki macrumors newbie

You can find a post on Macrumors.com about a car with a G4 in it somewhere in Europe. If you travel over to Mp3Car.com (what you dont go there?) you can check out what cool stuff PC people are doing to their cars. I had the idea a long time ago but had no means to do it the way i wanted.

Being a loyal mac fan I gotta make mine out of a G4 also. If you dont understand any of the "jargon" used here, check out mp3car.com and just research, its neet!

Anyway I wanted to put a G4 cube in the center console. And a friend of mine, OSX code savvy, wanted to make the ODB2 program for OSX (aint one, perdy sure) and then a frontend GUI like mediaengine etc. Well to do a ODB2 to mac, cuz we dont got serial ports, you need a serial-usb and then u need a controller program in OSX to work with it and decode the data into a usable form. That took way more time than a soon-to-be college graduate wanted to do. So since he has a crappy PC and his 17" Powerbook, he just bought the controller, used ScanTool in Windows and that was it. Mean time i got nothing. But now with a somewhat renewed interest I can start again ($ willing) and not worry so much about getting all that data from my car and instead, code up a nice GUI for OSX explicitly for touchscreen/car use. Im not all that good but IM sure someone would love to go for it. Then again i dont see much Apple stuff on Mp3car so who knows.

Anyway....this european guy did a good job on his carputer mac though no touchscreen and even as a programmer his GUI, though for his needs he says are fine, are plain and very very crappy. G4's though not HIGH on the Mhz value scale, a 400Mhz could run Mp3s, DVDs, Emulators, WiFi, GPS, and even gaming up to probably Quake3 (when it first came out). So competition with the PC people and their 2.4Ghz P4s just get the hype.

I post this here because I am interested in getting a movement going towards apple carputers. At least a little bit. Apple laptop docking stations in cars are somewhat common but no one really does what you can do with a PC, and why the hell not? I say its because there is no GUI frontend for OSX whereas u got 4+ choices on PC. I know many of the loyal macrumors people are OSX code savvy and given a chance would love to create something for this end. A fullscreen GUI for touchscreen that runs all your media in the background and only presents you with a simple (skinnable...) interface. iTunes, Quicktime, IE/safari, GPS etc etc.

Lets get working.

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Generally cross-posting is something that you want to avoid.
    other thread

3. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

ditto, why'd you post it in every forum?

good luck doing it though, should be a challenge!

4. srdashiki thread starter macrumors newbie

I DID IT CUZ NO ONE ON THESE FORUMS, the SMARTEST OF THE SMART APPLE FOLK, CARES ABOUT THIS IDEA AT ALL.

Or thats the impression I get from mp3car.com

The mac car site carmac.acmelab.org, is never updated.

I post in lotsa places to get the idea out cuz seems most people here never LEAVE THIS SITE!!!!!

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

You know why nobody gives a flying F what you're posting? 'Cause when a newbie comes in and cross posts like crazy, the troll alarm went off, and everybody turned on their ignore the idiot switch. Now where's that troll police...

6. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Eh dude. Chill out and have a quelude...

vSpacken

7. srdashiki thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so stay in your dark, dank basements typing away at forums that you could be using ichatAV for and strip for eachother.

ill just make my own carputer with a mac, cuz its a damn good idea.

8. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I have toyed with the idea of building a carputer out of an iBook, and normally I would like to discuss ideas. But dude.... relax

9. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Would the ibook lcd survive the extreme heat of being left in a hot car? I think the guy that did it found an industrial lcd to use.

10. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Just for the reference, it's generally a good idea to try to make a good first impression. Posting the same thing all over and then getty ticked off when people complain generally doesn't do that very well. Just mentioning...

11. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I would use an iBook from ebay, with a broken monitor, and hook it to an LCD built for a car. It's do-able, just not that easy

12. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

A touch screen would be pretty nice but I have no idea how much they cost.

13. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I agree that making a carputer out of a mac... any mac really, would be quite cool. I have nowhere near the technological know-how to be of any assistance whatsoever on this, but if you have the resources and the ability to, go for it!

On a semi-related side note, where's edesignuk gone to these days? I'm sure he has some picture for overly excitable people....