Apple CD-R's

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Apr 19, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    How'd I get here? How can I leave?
    Does anyone know if Apple sells more of the CD-R discs that comes with your initial computer purchase?
    What brand are they anyway? Those white discs with the aqua blue burn side.
    I can't seem to find them at the Apple store. They seem to work best with my burner and don't skip in my CD players.
  2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

Sep 6, 2003
    Uhhhh They give you a blank DVD-r disc with superdrives and a Verbatim CD-R with a CD bruner. They both are blue on the bottom. Verbatim is the best in my experience, but Apple never made CD-rs.
  3. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    The blank cdr's that Apple ships with new macs, are manufactured by Taiyo Yudan in Japan.

They are the best of the best.

Edit: just say the post above mine, the iBooks that my office bought last year came with Yudan's. The color of the discs makes VERY little difference in performance. The color just comes from the dye that is used, you can tell how old the discs you bought are simply by looking at the dye. Blue and green discs have not been made in over three years.

As I understand it, there are only four companys that make cdr's, Sony, Taiyo Yudan. Mitsui, and another generic company, all other cdr are rebranded versions of these.

I have found Verbatim cdrs to be total trash, and of the same quality as all of the other generic cdrs found in stores.

Stay FAR AWAY from sony cdr's, as one cake may be of good quality, but another cake might be totaly unburnable.

The ONLY cdr's I trust are TDK's their cds are manufactured by Mitsui. Mitsui have 2 grade levels with their cds, Top quality, and mid quality, The top quality discs are branded Mitsui, and are also sold to TDK to be branded as such, Their mid quality discs are sold to Memorex, PNY, as well as many others to be branded with their name,

To tell who actualy made your cdr's, all you have to do is look at where they were made. Taiyo Yuden, and Mitsui are the only companys that still make cdrs in Japan, all others are made in Korea. So it's just like cars, Korea: Kia + Hyundai = poor quality. Japan: Honda + Toyota = High quality.
  4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    CD-R blanks

Taiyo Yudan of Japan apparently has a close relationship with Pioneer which makes Apple's SuperDrives, and one of their labels is called PioData.

Memorex comes in a white mat finish that is Printable using Epson direct printing inkjet printers (900, 950, 300, 200, etc.)