Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSamurai

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2006
Misplaced Mage said:
Put me down in the, "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd. Getting decent battery life out of anything with a 0.3W radio transmitter in it is difficult -- unless you don't use it to actually talk to anyone, or put in a large battery. "Ye cannae change the laws o' physics!" :D

Then there's the whole broadcast standards issue:
  • Too slow for music downloads (IMHO):
    • GSM - best worldwide coverage and market share, but the channel for voice data (hence any other kind of data) is <14.4kbps.
    • EDGE - improves on GSM by bonding multiple GSM channels together, but that still only gets it to ~180kbps under ideal conditions. Marginal at best.
    • CDMA (IS-95) - has excellent coverage in North America, Latin America, and South Korea, but again is limited to <14.4kbps.
    • CDMA-1X (IS-2000) - similar coverage to CDMA, but at up to ~153kbps (ideal conditions). Same problems as CDMA and EDGE.
  • Fast enough for music downloads (again, IMHO):
    • CDMA EV-DO (and REV A) - Downlink peaks at >2.5Mbps. Same coverage problem as CDMA.
    • UMTS/3G/3GSM/WCDMA - Downlink peaks at >1.92Mbps. Broad deployment in Europe, growing deployment in U.S. The air interface (the radio) actually is CDMA, it's just not using the IS-95/2000 standard to avoid a lot of Qualcomm's IP.
    • HSDPA - UMTS upgrade. Theoretical downlink speeds approaching 14.4Mbps. Still being deployed.
Therefore, I think UMTS would be the way for Apple to go for the broadest market opportunity at this time with a phone that does downloads of full-quality iTunes music files. In the U.S., since Cingular already has its own WMA-based music store, this might present a conflict of interest. T-Mobile, perhaps? European buyers can clearly go and get the phone unlocked.

An Apple MVNO? Maybe, but risky. Virgin Mobile is doing pretty well, but Disney's expected to lose $135 million on its ESPN and Disney MVNOs this year.

If -- IF -- there is ever an iPhone announced, I'll be the first on the block to buy one. And promptly take it apart to see how much of the hardware Apple actually designed.
Lets not forget 802.11 which already exists in some phones...oh and if they put in a cam they definately will have to upgrade the iSight lol because the phone cam will equal it if not better it...here's hoping to a 2MP camera :D

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
prady16 said:
Wouldnt it be great if apple iphone had features of a phone, pda, and ipod and if it can be used as a modem for a laptop to access the internet?

And it could also core an apple. :rolleyes:

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
it's about time; my V360's nice, but it doesn't have the same features as my T610, and vice versa, especially when it comes to salling clicker. also i'm in the market for a new ipod. apple, release a device that handles my needs!

kskill

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2006
new york, ny
I expect some sort of wifi feature that lets you make calls using the internet rather than your cell provider, but what service provider would let that happen?

Perhaps an iphone with less focus on cellular and more on wifi? ...Closer to a sidekick type of thing? I feel as if that's where phones are headed.

Or something you could hook up to a laptop, like a network card. If Apple releases a phone they should do it right.

brepublican

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
NY
iCaffeine said:
all i know, i want one when it comes out.

:D
Yeah about that. While I reserve the right to change my mind, I just dont see myself getting one when they come out. But then again, stranger things have been known to happen, and the thing could just be oozing sex... Lets just say its gonna take a lot to make me fork out an extra $179 (in addition to the $300 the phone might cost) to terminate my current contract :(

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
This is perfect timing. My cell phone contract just expired and I'm looking to get a new phone. I hope this comes out sooner than later.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I find it funny when Steve demoed the first iTunes phone. The expression that he used while trying to work it showed that he was thinking of having Apple bully their way into the phone business.

I can see it destroying the "Chocolate" and "Razr" phones as it will be compared to them during the presentation.

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
iMikeT said:
This is perfect timing. My cell phone contract just expired and I'm looking to get a new phone. I hope this comes out sooner than later.
Perfect for me, too. I've just about had it with my Nokis 6880. What a piece of useless junk. What are the chances that if it came out, it would come out over here at the same time? Slim, at best, I fear.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
brepublican said:
Yeah about that. While I reserve the right to change my mind, I just dont see myself getting one when they come out. But then again, stranger things have been known to happen, and the thing could just be oozing sex... Lets just say its gonna take a lot to make me fork out an extra $179 (in addition to the $300 the phone might cost) to terminate my current contract :(

Unless the iPhone allows for multiple service providers, which would be very cool. Then I would just sell my phone, get the iPhone and transfer my account.

This is all assuming such a device will actually exist, and whether it's any good of course.

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
about F*****G TIME

and of course this will just be another rumor and years go by and I don't have a decent cell phone!

brooklyn

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
iNewt!

Im predicting that Apple's upcoming phone will be a PDA/Phone called the "iNewt"!

Yes... The "Newton" will rise again damit!

03-PS17-2~Apple-Newton-Posters.jpg

caccamolle

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
aricher said:
Figures this would come a month after I buy a new phone with a 2 yr. contract. Ugh.

lol ! guys, stay away from those rip-off contracts ! STAY FREE !!!
sure your phone will cost you a bit more, but hey, the price of freedom ! Screw the service providers.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
kskill said:
I expect some sort of wifi feature that lets you make calls using the internet rather than your cell provider, but what service provider would let that happen?
That technology is called UMA and T-Mobile's testing it now.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
If it is real, one good thing

Should be all set to sync with the Mac with no issues like the iPod does. Unlike other phones and PDAs no need for sync software and special cables. Likely uses bluetooth to sync and all configured out of the box.

Me too, I need full PDA capabilities, see you later Treo 650.

coachingguy

macrumors 6502a
This may be a thread hijacking question...

I'm as excited as most of you here about the possibility of an Apple phone. My contract is up and I'm VERY tired of the carrying of a cell phone (Moto V555 - not a bad phone) AND a Palm Tungsten E2. I've been looking at the smart phones, particularly the Blackberry 1730g and the Treo 650. For those of you who use smartphones, what do you use? I don't care so much about the email - push or not - I just want to sync my mac calendar and contact w/ my phone and have it all in one place. I'd be all over this "apple phone" if it looked as good as the slivr and had quick os that allowed me to sync easily.

To wrap up, those of you who have smart phones, whattya use AND what do you think to probability that Apple will release a phone w/ smart phone capabilities?

Thanks

Coachingguy

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Man, I wish I could get paid for writing stuff like this... The exciting details are that it will look like an iPod and come in iPod colors? Talk about going out on a limb with one arm around the trunk...

"We believe this smart phone has been in development for over 12 months and has overcome substantial challenges including design, interference, battery life and other technical glitches."?!? Is this insight? Apple's been working on it for a year and faced challenges such as design? A cell phone had interference and battery life issues?

"We believe the go-to-market strategy is likely the gating factor in Apple shipping its cell phone imminently"?!? Deciding how to ship is what's keeping them from shipping...

I swear this guy made a recent career change from writing horoscopes. :rolleyes:

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
The Apple/Tmobile partnership is interesting. I thought that Apple and Cingular had a deal but I guess not my T-mobile phone that I use in Europe had itunes on it and I know quite a few people that use itunes on T-mobile serviced phones. I have itunes running on my V360 and have about 800 songs on my transflash card(just for your info, if it's not already on your phone)

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
I'm getting my hopes up waaaaay too high for this thing. I want it to be real so bad I can taste it, but there's no way it's coming this year so I really need to just bite the bullet and get a new phone and stop waiting.

/me secretly crosses fingers for Sept. 12th

:D

fitinferno

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2005
London, UK
jhedges3 said:
But insight on when something’s going to happen isn’t the singular, or even the primary, purpose of these discussions. They’re an opportunity to talk about what MAY BE released and what sort of functionality/design it will have, how it will work, what the target market (beside us) will be, etc.

Exactly...they're basically a big group of people getting together and drooling and hoping at least some bit comes true.

And oh my goodness is an iPhone super drool-worthy! I'm getting concerned about how soon I'll be able to get one seeing as everyone and his dog wants one.

And I'm still waiting on that g5 powerbook...it's my Godot. :rolleyes: (Or at least an MBP w/a 12" or smaller screen)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.