Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls New 'Haunted Empire' Book 'Nonsense'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yesterday, we highlighted Haunted Empire, a new book from former Wall Street Journal reporter Yukari Iwatani Kane examining the transition Apple has undergone with the death of Steve Jobs. While the book includes a few interesting tidbits, our view was that Kane had selected anecdotes to support a predetermined conclusion that Apple is in decline.

With the book debuting today, Apple CEO Tim Cook has taken the unusual step of issuing a statement about the book, calling it "nonsense",

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Calls New 'Haunted Empire' Book 'Nonsense'

2. Steve121178, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

macrumors 68030

Steve121178

She wouldn't sell many copies if she said the future was rosy.

3. macrumors newbie

He was hardly going to say "Nailed it" was he....

4. macrumors 603

"other books I've read about Apple" = Isaacson's bio.

Kind of fitting Isaacson has a quote on the cover of this one.

5. macrumors 68040

tigres

Ton's in the pipeline though.
    :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 6502

Sounds like damage control, unfortunately.

I can very well imagine the book tries to turn anecdotes into facts so it has more appeal (read: better $ales), but why is Tim coming out so abruptly to call it nonsense?

7. macrumors member

Hope

Yukari Iwatani Kane better be praying that Apple does not hit it out of the park at WWDC. P-R-A-Y-I-N-G

8. macrumors regular

One thing I've just realized about Cook. He's just as paranoid about receiving criticism and just as needy for everybody's affirmation as Steve Jobs was.

9. macrumors 6502a

Maybe he can "sanction" the author and prevent her from accessing iCloud or purchase any future Apple products.

10. CPTMuggle, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014

macrumors newbie

The book reads like one long sensationalist piece with a clear agenda from the start. Kane formed an opinion before she started writing.

11. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If Cook wanted to be really subtle, they could have listed it in the iBook Store in the "fiction" section.

12. macrumors 6502

sofila

Apple CEO says that everything is OK at Apple.
    How come I'm not surprised

13. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Thank you Tim. I've read 4 or 5 reviews of this book so far and all of them have panned it. I hope no one spends money on this crap.

14. macrumors 6502a

Likewise, there wouldn't be much of a book, if all she said was that Apple was doing fine.

The only way to make a valid opinion of Apple's future is to know what their plans are. So unless Kane has somehow bugged Apple's executive offices, I'd say her point of view has a little more validity than my grandmother who is more likely to think of a piece of fruit than a tech company if you tried to discuss Apple with her. (She thinks Apple is doomed too BTW.)

15. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Haha that would be awesome. :D

16. macrumors 6502a

Apple is definately not in a decline. Especially now after they introduced a new 8gb iphone 5c and a new ipad 4

17. macrumors 65832

Tankmaze

Better not to respond to this kind of thing Tim, it's a sensationalist book thats making money for the author.

18. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Because introducing an 8GB iPhone 5c and the iPad (4th gen) is the "best work of their lives" :rolleyes:

Sorry Tim, but the company is boring, and so are you! I'm just glad that he isn't the one delivering the keynotes. Thank god for Phil, Craig, and the other execs that know how to interact with a crowd. Tim with his crackely boring voice makes me sleepy, and his fake enthusiasm is annoying... :cool: He doesn't seem sincere. I have a feeling that he doesn't even know half of what he is talking about. Does he even know what the features he talks about do and why they are nifty?

Still would like to see product announcements throughout the year, not all at once in September/October.

19. macrumors 6502

Why can't I stop grinning after reading your comment?

20. macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

You do your username justice.

21. macrumors 6502

CalWizrd

Does anyone else find the stock photo of Tim Cook every bit as creepy as the stock photo MR uses for Carl Icahn?

22. macrumors 65816

BenTrovato

lol now that you mention it...

23. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

He is one of those people that can't naturally smile. Some people look great and natural when they smile, others (like Tim) have to force it.

24. macrumors newbie

Until a new Mac Mini comes out, of course Apple is in decline.

25. macrumors member

I don't believe for a second that you've even read it.