Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
We see what was want to see. And I don't have any stake in what she did or didn't imply nor Tim or Steve.

However.
"“The first time it was announced that Steve Jobs had cancer the stock fell only 2 percent. And Steve’s reaction was, ‘That’s it?’ He was very disappointed. So he wouldn’t want Tim Cook to do better than he did.” "

He was disappointed that reports of his health didn't have a greater impact on the stock is not the same as wishing others failure. Whose quote us "So he wouldn’t want Tim Cook to do better than he did" - her? 3rd party?

That's interpretation and a leap in logic regardless.

Kane said: "So he [Jobs] wouldn’t want Tim Cook to do better than he did." It was in the linked interview. I'm not sure how much more clear that could be. It was Kane's leap in logic.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/steve-jobs-wouldnt-want-tim-cook-do-better-he-did

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
We know exactly what she meant. I guess the Jobs worshipers here who think he was perfect and could do no wrong but think Cook & Co. are failures must feel the same way.

I don't get what part of what she said is unclear or requires interpretation. Marketplace even used those remarks as their lead-in to the story, so I guess they didn't think it was ambiguous in any way. What hit me right between the eyes when I first read her thesis that Jobs didn't want a successor to show him up, was that she apparently based it entirely on talking to people who speculated (her words, not mine). This is the equivalent of the "some say..." approach used by cable news. Who are those some? Why are they saying it? Are they right? All of this is conveniently left out.

----------

Kane said: "So he [Jobs] wouldn’t want Tim Cook to do better than he did." It was in the linked interview. I'm not sure how much more clear that could be. It was Kane's leap in logic.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/steve-jobs-wouldnt-want-tim-cook-do-better-he-did

Precisely.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Sorry gang.

Are we talking about what she said in an interview or in the book. Because I thought Rogifan's comments were about the book.

And she didn't state THAT in the book.

Perhaps my own misinterpretation of Rogifan's latest comments on the subject compared to his initial ones.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I don't get what part of what she said is unclear or requires interpretation. Marketplace even used those remarks as their lead-in to the story, so I guess they didn't think it was ambiguous in any way. What hit me right between the eyes when I first read her thesis that Jobs didn't want a successor to show him up, was that she apparently based it entirely on talking to people who speculated (her words, not mine). This is the equivalent of the "some say..." approach used by cable news. Who are those some? Why are they saying it? Are they right? All of this is conveniently left out.
She also claims Tony Fadell wanted Apple to buy Nest because he had designs on Cook's job or being the "visionary" at Apple. And that Ive wanted his own plane (apparently because Jobs has one) but Cook denied the request. Of course she won't say where any of these things come from. The one about Ive seems especially dubious because outside of Ive, Cook and perhaps the board who would even know he made the request?

----------

Sorry gang.

Are we talking about what she said in an interview or in the book. Because I thought Rogifan's comments were about the book.

And she didn't state THAT in the book.

Perhaps my own misinterpretation of Rogifan's latest comments on the subject compared to his initial ones.

Yes, to clarify I was referring to what she said in an interview. But I could care less whether she put it in the book or said it in an interview publicizing the book.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
She also claims Tony Fadell wanted Apple to buy Nest because he had designs on Cook's job or being the "visionary" at Apple. And that Ive wanted his own plane (apparently because Jobs has one) but Cook denied the request. Of course she won't say where any of these things come from. The one about Ive seems especially dubious because outside of Ive, Cook and perhaps the board who would even know he made the request?

She talked to people who speculated. That's the gold standard for investigative journalism.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Those self confidence books on tape you've been listening to are really doing wonders for your attitude, Mums. You're so assertive now.

That clever wit of yours doesn't mask your inadequacy, Renzatic.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
I'd like to hear what is driving another long-time customer away. No judgement, just curious!

Although this wasn't addressed to me, I'll provide my own answer.

1) Dwindling faith in quality control, making purchases of new Macs feel more like playing the lemon lottery.

2) Over time I've become a bit more realistic about the culture of Apple.

I wasn't quite sure how to express this until I recently viewed the excellent movie "Jobs" on Netflix, a biography of Steve Jobs.

The depiction of Jobs in the movie clearly says what I love and um, don't love, about Apple. He was such a powerfully charismatic leader, and it seems he stamped both the best and worst of his strong brilliant personality on the entire company.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.