Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Definitely no need to continuously upgrade to the newest iPad. I am very happy with how well my 2nd Gen performs, with the minor annoyance of not having airdrop.

This! I have the redhead child iPad (3rd gen) and honestly, give or take a couple of small occasional annoyances, found no reason to upgrade, regardless how tempting it was to buy a brand new Air for $400

And I use my iPad everyday

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Phones aren't actually a necessity either, if you want to get technical. The problems with statements like yours is they superimpose your needs and values on everyone else. And that will never work, no matter how hard you try.

Well if you want to get down to the barebones core of needs vs wants then none of this tech is a necessity. However, what I'm getting at is that tablets are far less necessary than phones. People almost have to have a cell phone these days. You'd be hard pressed to find an adult in the US without one. Tablets are not nearly as important.

Don't get me wrong, iPads are nice and convenient devices to have. I have one myself. But the majority could get by without one without it causing too much disruption to our daily lives. Now try getting by in day to day life without a phone. That's the level of difference of necessity that I was getting at.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
A pipe dream, but wouldn't it be great if a 13" iPad ran iOS and OS X?

DUDE! Yes. That would be friggin awesome. Give us the option of how we wanted to use it, and enable bluetooth mouse functionality for the OSX side.

It's a dream, but dang, I would totally buy!!!

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
There are two killer apps I love on iPad. Beatmaker 2 and Procreate.

Other than that it's just another, admittedly very pleasant, way to view stuff on the internet.

iPads need a fresh revolution to make them a must-have now that the hype has died down a bit.

As a bedroom Dj myself I absolutely love Beatmaker 2, the best ipad drum machine / sampler app to date. I got to check out procreate. Anywho I'm still enjoying my 3gen iPad. Besides airdrop I see no reason to upgrade either I think the current size is perfect.

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
No but I'm tire of every thread here turning into a bash Apple fest. Sometimes I think this site needs to be renamed MacHaters.com

Sorry dude, but pointing out flaws in your precious lovechild, Apple Inc., is not 'hating', it's being real.

Also, just to be clear, this is Macrumors.com ... not MacLovers.com ... as you apparently think it is.

Last edited:

FutureTechHope

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2010
I honestly think that the reason why the sales are down is because as consumers we want iPads to fully replace laptops and desktops. It would be nice to have a fully functioning OS where we can use the same software that we use on our laptops and desktops. Microsoft did release the Surface RT and Pro, but the way they released it and the pricing was a disaster.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You deserve all the internets of today, this week and the entire month!

iOS sucks at utilizing screen estate. And seriously, there wouldn't have to be any squishing content before utilizing the screen.

Also, I'd love if there was a way to connect a mouse to my iPad. Not for the OS, but for RDP and - *sigh* VNC - connections!

How about multitasking?
Multi-user on iPad? Sounds logical, although I do understand why you might not want to do it. (Family Sharing sure sounds like a good base for it though, I'm curious for iOS 9 ;) )

Glassed Silver:mac

Heh, thank you! That made my day. :D

That is just an issue I've had ever since iOS 7 was released. The iPad started out as a large iPhone, but Apple needs to acknowledge now that it is more powerful than that. Why can't we have more powerful multitasking? Why can't we have pressure sensitivity? Consumers are already comfortable with the iPad, lets raise the bar a little. ;)

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I upgraded from an iPad 2 to an iPad Air because of the Retina display. The screen was the only part that annoyed me about my iPad 2 that made me upgrade.

If they add Touch ID or make it thinner or lighter.. those things won't make me upgrade.

I think the only thing that would make me upgrade from an iPad Air is if it stopped receiving iOS updates and I'd guess there is still iOS 9 and maybe iOS 10 and even 11 to come before that happens.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
iPad Air in my eyes is the top of the top not sure what things they could add to it to make it "Better" or spur more sales.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Well, what bugs me about the iPad right now is that iOS simply isn't optimized for it. The music app is a stretched out phone app and the app switcher is just pathetic compared to what it could be.

You should use a surface pro 3. It had already solved all of those issues.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Well if you want to get down to the barebones core of needs vs wants then none of this tech is a necessity. However, what I'm getting at is that tablets are far less necessary than phones. People almost have to have a cell phone these days. You'd be hard pressed to find an adult in the US without one. Tablets are not nearly as important.

Don't get me wrong, iPads are nice and convenient devices to have. I have one myself. But the majority could get by without one without it causing too much disruption to our daily lives. Now try getting by in day to day life without a phone. That's the level of difference of necessity that I was getting at.

Only in your experience. Ask a pilot if tablets haven't become more than just a nice and convenient thing for them. I think they'd tell you to a man and woman that going back to the old way is unthinkable. That's just the thing about (dare I use the cliche) "disruptive" products -- they create needs that nobody knew they had. The potential for tablets to continue to disrupt other markets has hardly hit its limits. In fact this is what Mossberg is saying his piece. (Not that anyone reads source articles on MR, but once again they buried the lead.)

Oh, and I notice that hardly everyone seems to need a smartphone.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
a 12 inch iPad running an OS with a 3.5 inch screen still in mind (yes it hasnt changed much since back in the day when it comes down to taking advantage of a bigger screen) wont make it more productive all of the sudden

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Two areas I think people expected Apple to do better with iPad: education and print. I see a lot of teachers using iPads for Candy Crush, but not a lot of use with students. As for print, the Web replaced magazines. The iPad can't bring that back unless it did something really cheap with a great user interface. iBooks is a locked system with no value I can see over Amazon's greater selection. And interactive textbooks made with iBook Author never took off. Most e-textbooks are still locked in horrible browsers, made with Flash, etc. Amazon also has quite a few in Kindle format, but without the color graphics.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Sorry dude, but pointing out flaws in your precious lovechild, Apple Inc., is not 'hating', it's being real.

Also, just to be clear, this is Macrumors.com ... not MacLovers.com ... as you apparently think it is.

My precious love child? Um, don't think so. :rolleyes:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
That's called OSX. I for one would hate having multiple apps running simultaneously in iOS.
You're right. You don't like the idea of the feature so nobody should have it. Because there is simply no way you could just not use multitasking in iOS. :rolleyes:

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I honestly think that the reason why the sales are down is because as consumers we want iPads to fully replace laptops and desktops. It would be nice to have a fully functioning OS where we can use the same software that we use on our laptops and desktops. Microsoft did release the Surface RT and Pro, but the way they released it and the pricing was a disaster.

Do you think that Apple will release a product with Surface 3 specs that will be cheaper?

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Hey Tim, maybe if you gave it OS X and a built-in stylus you might see some growth. Steve is dead, it's time for some real change. Lead or get out of the way.

NotTellinYou

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Not really...

iOS needs real multitasking. Samsung and Microsoft have this and it really does improve tablet experience.

This ability to display apps together only works on Samsung devices, and only on specific Samsung devices.

To add support for this feature in a way that doesn’t break other apps, Samsung’s multi-window feature also only works with specific apps. You can’t just run any app in multi-window view, only the apps on the Multi Window bar Samsung provides. This prevents third-party apps from breaking, which is what Google was worried about with CyanogenMod’s Cornerstone feature.

A feature that only works with a handful of apps on specific devices from a single manufacturer isn’t good enough. This feature needs to work on every Android device, just as in iOS, and today it doesn't.

Apple has worked on this, it was slated for iOS 8, but removed for reasons I don't know. Maybe the same reasons why Google hasn't made it a part of Andriod over all.

Imagine if Apple only allowed "some" apps to run that way! It's nice to be Samsung so you can tout a feature that's so horribly limited as a feature so people, like you, think it really is an advantage and not a marketing gimmick.

In the case of Microsoft this is more a function of the fact that the non-Surface RT devices are actually running Windows. This is like saying the iPad should run OSX...which I would love BTW! :)

IMHO!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
a 12 inch iPad running an OS with a 3.5 inch screen still in mind (yes it hasnt changed much since back in the day when it comes down to taking advantage of a bigger screen) wont make it more productive all of the sudden

Exactly. iOS has yet to learn to cope with the iPad's current screen. Why do I need a 12.9" screen. More empty white space? :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Who is we? You got a mouse in your pocket? What's the point of a tablet if it's going to do everything your laptop does? IMO, a tablet is a complementary device that can replace some things people were/are doing on their laptops and in some cases perhaps be a laptop replacement depending on use case. To me a tablet is meant to be more portable, more personal and more for consuming. If I need to do real work doe extended periods of time I want a device that has a larger screen, proper keyboard/trackpad.

Seems to me Windows 8 and Microsoft's Surface were all about protecting and perpetuating Windows, not providing the best consumer experience. I'd much rather have something like Continuity/Handoff than Apple shoving OSX on to a tablet.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Who is we? You got a mouse in your pocket? What's the point of a tablet if it's going to do everything your laptop does? IMO, a tablet is a complementary device that can replace some things people were/are doing on their laptops and in some cases perhaps be a laptop replacement depending on use case. To me a tablet is meant to be more portable, more personal and more for consuming. If I need to do real work doe extended periods of time I want a device that has a larger screen, proper keyboard/trackpad.

Seems to me Windows 8 and Microsoft's Surface were all about protecting and perpetuating Windows, not providing the best consumer experience. I'd much rather have something like Continuity/Handoff than Apple shoving OSX on to a tablet.

I agree that a tablet is just a supplemental device; I don't want a an "all in one tablet PC." However, there are places where the iPad can improve. I'd love split multitasking, but even ignoring that. Basic iOS functions like the app switcher can be greatly enhanced.

NotTellinYou

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Two areas I think people expected Apple to do better with iPad: education and print. I see a lot of teachers using iPads for Candy Crush, but not a lot of use with students. As for print, the Web replaced magazines. The iPad can't bring that back unless it did something really cheap with a great user interface. iBooks is a locked system with no value I can see over Amazon's greater selection. And interactive textbooks made with iBook Author never took off. Most e-textbooks are still locked in horrible browsers, made with Flash, etc. Amazon also has quite a few in Kindle format, but without the color graphics.

I could disagree with what you wrote but regardless is this Apple's problem or a problem overall? Apple provides a robust Education Professional Services team ready to assist any district adopting the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.