Apple CEO Tim Cook Heads to Ireland to Visit Government Officials, Company Facilities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 31, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook is currently in Ireland visiting the company's facilities in Cork and preparing to meet with government officials this afternoon, according to a report from TheJournal.ie. The specific reason for Cook's visit is unknown, but Apple has maintained a significant presence in the country for several decades.
    [​IMG]
    Apple's Hollyhill facilities in Cork, Ireland (Reuters/Michael MacSweeney)
    Apple, which has 4,000 employees at its Hollyhill facility, has used its Irish base for decades as its home for operations in Europe and elsewhere, with the company coming under scrutiny last year for its corporate structure funneling revenue through subsidiaries located in the country in order to minimize its tax burden.

Apple has steadily increased its workforce in Cork as the company has grown in recent years, and Cook and Kenny are likely meeting to at least help maintain the long-standing relationship between Apple and Irish officials, perhaps with an eye on the company's future plans.

Earlier this month, Cook traveled to China to help launch sales of the iPhone on China Mobile, the world's largest carrier.

Update: TheJournal.ie has updated its article, quoting Kenny as saying that he and Cook discussed Ireland's participation in EU-wide conversations about clarifying tax issues.
    Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Heads to Ireland to Visit Government Officials, Company Facilities

2. macrumors 65816

musika

This man sure does get around!

3. macrumors member

Nothing wrong with what they are doing. All companies do it. Find me one person that does not try to limit their tax burden as much as possible.

Any complainer can surely pay more taxes themselves if they would like. The IRS won't mind. :D

4. jonAppleSeed, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014

macrumors regular

"The specific reason for Cook's visit is unknown"

But we all know why he's there

5. macrumors 68020

smithrh

Guiness?

6. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe they will FINALLY open an Apple Store in Ireland......... ;)

or it could simply be to deliver a brown envelope to Irish MP's :D
    (we all know about the brown envelopes in Ireland).

----------

Why is here, there ?

----------

Yes but the tax funnel means they don't pay much tax here either, but the Irish government can't do anything out of fear of losing 4000 jobs......

But hey if St.Bono is comfortable not paying tax in Ireland, we can't be harsh on Apple too much.

7. macrumors member

Apple store in Dublin please, Tim :D

8. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sod Dublin, put it in Kerry for us culchies !!! :p

9. macrumors regular

iLondoner

Ireland's government takings are massively inflated by channelling revenues through a country that's in reality a bit of a backwater for Apple. All of the other EU countries are losing out.

Despite being one of Apple's major markets the UK gets practically zilch. :(

2011 UK earnings £6 billion, tax paid £10 million
    2012 avoided tax altogether by giving staff share bonuses

I like Apple so not moaning as much as I would about other companies... Google, Starbucks...

10. macrumors 6502

Amazing! I heard on the local news this morning that he's here in Washington for a meeting at the White House. The guy gets around!

11. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

You are under the assumption Apple pay lots of tax here though..... I think you'll be surprised if it wasn't similar to UK despite them having their Euro HQ here.

12. macrumors 6502

I'd bet on Murphy's. :)

I worked there ten years ago. At Apple, Cork. Time flies…

13. macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

Hey I'm heading to Ireland too for completely different reasons though :p

14. macrumors 6502

I guess Tim Cook will need personal translator with him:D

15. macrumors regular

iLondoner

Probably right. The Double Irish arrangement makes interesting reading.

16. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep...... The government will keep Apple sweet to protect the 4,000 jobs. We can not afford 4,000 more people on Social Welfare (let alone all those additional jobs that come from servicing those 4,000 workers) - where at the moment those folks are all working and paying the many new austerity taxes that are finally getting the country out of the hole it dug with the bank and property crisis.

17. macrumors newbie

They are pumping absolute millions into the place. There's major expansion plans for not just holly hill but for some other parts in Cork as well!

18. nebo1ss, Jan 31, 2014

macrumors 68000

Well they probably pay more than they would normally in Ireland based on sales there. They divert income from the rest of Europe into Ireland because of the sweetheart deal they have with the Irish Govt.

All the other Countries in Europe lose out on tax revenue and not necessarily too happy with Ireland. Of course Apple is not alone Google, Starbucks etc. are all at it. Starbucks largest market outside the US is the UK and according to their annual reports they made a loss every year since they started operating in the UK.

19. macrumors member

Apple Store in Limerick Fingers crossed. :D

20. macrumors 65816

Tim comes with the news that Apple has trademarked " Shamrock" and will replace the Apple Logo with a Shamrock.

21. macrumors member

I'd wager Enda or any of the other shower even know what an apple store is. They probably think the one by the Molly Malone statue at the bottom of Grafton St is a real Apple Store.

22. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I remember the last time he visited Cork and spoke to Apple employees. Shortly afterwards hundreds of us were let go. :eek:

He's like the Angel of Death 'round here. "Don't look him in the eyes!!!" :p

23. Defender2010, Jan 31, 2014

macrumors 68000

Defender2010

Guinness you mean...he is already on the drink

Attached Files:

24. macrumors member

25. macrumors 6502