Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
"It means more to us to get it right than to be first."

That's nice and all, but in the time between Apple product debuts, some of us still have device desires that need scratching :)

With no Apple device to choose from, we'll continue buying the other "rushed out" gizmos, that at least are available. I.e. although it was great when Apple brought out the iPhone, I don't regret at all enjoying a smartphone for years beforehand. Ditto right now for smartwatches.

Heck, Apple also has to appreciate the feedback they see from early device buyers of other brands. It's getting the results of a mass product feature survey, but far more realistic, and for free!

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
the real stonishing thing here is that unlocking smartphone the classic way has suddenly become an "inconvenience".
Indeed. Contrary to the nonsense HTC and Samsung have spewed in the courts, "swipe to unlock" is neither the obvious nor the optimal nor the inevitable way to activate a phone. Had either company been focused on innovation they might have invented Touch ID first. Instead they focused on copying. Well, you can make a living like that but it sucks having to spend your life a step behind.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Apple has a VERY strong product lineup. I don't see what the fuss is about.

If someone updated your 4+ year old products with an iPad Air, iPhone 5s and Retina MacBook Pro with an Apple TV and Time Capsule you'd be disappointed?!

Those are AMAZING products. They work wonderfully with each other.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
The iWatch sounds like a major undertaking, and one that will not generate the types of profits of the iPhone. I don't blame them for waiting until it's right. HUGE gamble.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
blah blah blah. He's been saying the exact same thing since he took over as CEO. When are we going to see these products. It's definitely gone downhill and I've seen no real innovation recently.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Indeed. Contrary to the nonsense HTC and Samsung have spewed in the courts, "swipe to unlock" is neither the obvious nor the optimal nor the inevitable way to activate a phone. Had either company been focused on innovation they might have invented Touch ID first. Instead they focused on copying. Well, you can make a living like that but it sucks having to spend your life a step behind.

Apple did not invent "Touch ID". Of course they were the first to implement it in a great way in an extremely successful phone, but they did not invent it, at least not in the sense of "finger print scanner". Which pretty much confirms what Tim Cook is saying.

(and it's interesting to see what happens when other companies decide that it's a "must have" feature too - all that finger swiping..)

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
That's nice and all, but in the time between Apple product debuts, some of us still have device desires that need scratching :)

With no Apple device to choose from, we'll continue buying the other "rushed out" gizmos, that at least are available. I.e. although it was great when Apple brought out the iPhone, I don't regret at all enjoying a smartphone for years beforehand. Ditto right now for smartwatches.

Heck, Apple also has to appreciate the feedback they see from early device buyers of other brands. It's getting the results of a mass product feature survey, but far more realistic, and for free!

But people are clamoring for nothing. People just want new products, but what product SPECIFICALLY do you want? People just want something new for the heck of it. Enjoy what you have. Obviously Apple is going to have some amazing releases in the second half of 2014.

kagharaht

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
Agree. Face time also comes to mind as an amazingly well executed feature.

I love FaceTime. Kids in College and its just fantastic to FT with them. At the Dorm, even when they are out to shop for an item and wants our opinion. Love it.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
Apple did have a few flops, but in many ways they managed to pull it off in being the first to get it right. The iPod was the first MP3 player to be actually a success, the iPhone was the first really great smartphone. They played a big part in changing the way computers look (and still do). There were of course low points too: Ping, Passbook, Newsstand etc.
Waiting with the iWatch ( or whatever it is going to be) is good, as nobody so far has pulled it off, I sometimes even think TC spread the rumours to give other companies a chance to mess it up. And a lot of them did, including Samsung.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Apple did not invent "Touch ID". Of course they were the first to implement it in a great way in an extremely successful phone, but they did not invent it, at least not in the sense of "finger print scanner". Which pretty much confirms what Tim Cook is saying.
Yes they did. They did not invent the fingerprint scanner. But TouchID doesn't just refer to a simple scanner, it refers to a scanner with appropriate software to get the job done properly. That package is what Android OEMs could have invented easily if they were focused on innovation and not copying and litigation.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
Should note that this is all software, and I'm not so sure their philosophy around software is quite the same.
Nor should it be. Its pretty well established by now that trying to build the 'perfect' piece of software in the lab is futile. You'll never find all the bugs yourself and you'll expend your resources trying. You get it "good enough" and then you start using it and then you iterate as fast as you can until it shines.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
A quote which Samsung should take a long, hard look at. Being petty and trying to beat everyone to market will land you with an awfully designed, badly selling product. Apple's game is to allow others, such as Samsung, to get it so painfully wrong that they can put the work and the dedication into getting something which is so beautifully right.

This is why Apple stands so strong and why Samsung isn't a pinch on them. It probably also explains why Samsung products are so consistently low quality.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
WWDC is for developers, not new products. It just so happens Apple uses the WWDC for some products to get refreshed. 2010 was the last time Apple used WWDC to launch an iPhone.

MOST of the conference is for developers. The keynote and day one is for the media. That is why the press pass sent to journalists is issued only for day one. Day one comprises of announcements for anything Apple is ready to announce to the media. The REST of the conference is for developers. Get your facts straight.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011

Or...you could just stick with what you have until Apple release a new version/product? You don't HAVE to and probably don't need to go and get those other products from those other companies. Your iPhone will see you over until Apple releases the next iPhone.

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
apple does something first: woohoo, yeah innovation, this changes everything

Apple mostly hasn't done anything first and that's part of Tim Cook's argument.

Apple did pioneer home computing with the Apple I/II. Apple didn't invent windows with the Macintosh. That was from the Xerox PARC computers. One could argue the Newton and the iBook were firsts. I'll give them that.

After that -- iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, iPad -- none of them were firsts in their categories. During the iPod to iPad era, Apple has waited until a market matured enough for them to step in and put its stamp on the product.

Innovation does not necessarily mean doing something first. And being first does not necessarily mean you are innovating.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Wall Street hates companies that take their time putting out new products. Investors believe that quick money is made on a first come, first serve basis. Quality means nothing. Quantity means everything. Wall Street takes one look at Apple and declares the company dead because Apple is last to market with a large-display smartphone and will also be dead last going into the smartwatch business. By the time Apple puts out its first iWatch, Samsung will be selling the Galaxy Gear 5 smartwatch and will have totally dominated all smartwatch market share.

No investor alive thinks like Tim Cook. He sounds like a drunk Orson Welles in that old Paul Masson wine commercial, "We will sell no wine before its time." Since when did Wall Street ever consider Apple like a fine, aged wine? Never. Wall Street investors will happily settle for cheap Boone's Farm, Thunderbird or Ripple as long it is sold in high enough quantities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.