Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
If someone updated your 4+ year old products with an iPad Air, iPhone 5s and Retina MacBook Pro with an Apple TV and Time Capsule you'd be disappointed?!

are you implying apple products are only better than 4 years old products of other companies?

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
MOST of the conference is for developers. The keynote and day one is for the media. That is why the press pass sent to journalists is issued only for day one. Day one comprises of announcements for anything Apple is ready to announce to the media. The REST of the conference is for developers. Get your facts straight.

You are one angry person.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Apple mostly hasn't done anything first and that's part of Tim Cook's argument.

Apple did pioneer home computing with the Apple I/II. Apple didn't invent windows with the Macintosh. That was from the Xerox PARC computers. One could argue the Newton and the iBook were firsts. I'll give them that.

After that -- iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, iPad -- none of them were firsts in their categories. During the iPod to iPad era, Apple has waited until a market matured enough for them to step in and put its stamp on the product.

Innovation does not necessarily mean doing something first. And being first does not necessarily mean you are innovating.

let my rephrase my sentence: "apple does something "first": ..."

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
WWDC is for developers, not new products. It just so happens Apple uses the WWDC for some products to get refreshed. 2010 was the last time Apple used WWDC to launch an iPhone.
While Apple's hardware is important, the software is far more important. The announcements Apple will make at WWDC- iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 will have the most impact of any announcement Apple makes this year. It is the features of iOS 8 that will make the iPhone 6 compelling and that will allow developers to make great stuff for it.

Any new product lines that Apple releases this fall, while significant in the long run, will have minimal short-term impact. Sales will start modestly, as they do for all new lines, and the products will be roundly trashed by critics and the people on this board as overpriced, overhyped, not innovative enough, and no better than xyz company that nobody's ever heard of. Of course once people try them out in the Apple stores or see their friends' devices things will change...

For this year, WWDC is what you should be looking forward to.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
apple does something first: woohoo, yeah innovation, this changes everything

apple is slow: it means more for us to get it right than be first

the real stonishing thing here is that unlocking smartphone the classic way has suddenly become an "inconvenience".

That's the definition of technological progress, isn't it? A new, superior method makes the old way of doing things downright kludgy. Just try using an older blackberry device to do the most basic things we now take for granted... surfing the web, zooming in and out of pics, finding locations, etc. That's what Touch ID did for unlocking smartphones.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
You are one angry person.

BT0Et7rCMAAadh5.jpg

apple-september-2010-press-pass.jpg

wwdc-2013-press-pass.jpg

In case you were wondering what I was talking about. You know, to understand things.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I'm sorry, but Tim Cook is a lier. Back in 2013, Tim Cook specifically said that Apple will be introducing new products and product categories "across 2014." That quote should've meant that Apple has prepaid a set of new products that they were ready to introduce throughout 2014. However, here we are, in the second quarter of the year, and nothing new from Apple. Today's comment seems to be a confirmation that they still aren't ready to show us the new stuff by WWDC in June.

Seems like 2014 will be the exact same strategy for Apple as the years before; release every product you have within a month or two.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Nor should it be. Its pretty well established by now that trying to build the 'perfect' piece of software in the lab is futile. You'll never find all the bugs yourself and you'll expend your resources trying. You get it "good enough" and then you start using it and then you iterate as fast as you can until it shines.

Exactly. When you launch flawed or unfinished hardware, there's no way back.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
No investor alive thinks like Tim Cook. He sounds like a drunk Orson Welles in that old Paul Masson wine commercial, "We will sell no wine before its time." Since when did Wall Street ever consider Apple like a fine, aged wine? Never. Wall Street investors will happily settle for cheap Boone's Farm, Thunderbird or Ripple as long it is sold in high enough quantities.
You make a good point, but you should adjust your word choice. Investors do think like Tim Cook. The problem is, there are very few investors these days. Wall Street was taken over some time ago by speculators- people who make their money not off the long-term payoffs of innovation but rather over short-term changes in sentiment. They need announcements to drive these changes in sentiment. Spending years developing a great company is mind boggling to them and far outside their skill set causing them to lose interest and give up.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Yes they did. They did not invent the fingerprint scanner. But TouchID doesn't just refer to a simple scanner, it refers to a scanner with appropriate software to get the job done properly. That package is what Android OEMs could have invented easily if they were focused on innovation and not copying and litigation.

Yet Apple did take this a step further than just a software package and included hardware to store encrypted data. Samsung's solution is also encrypted but it is certainly not silo'd off.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Apple mostly hasn't done anything first and that's part of Tim Cook's argument.

Apple did pioneer home computing with the Apple I/II. Apple didn't invent windows with the Macintosh. That was from the Xerox PARC computers. One could argue the Newton and the iBook were firsts. I'll give them that.

After that -- iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, iPad -- none of them were firsts in their categories. During the iPod to iPad era, Apple has waited until a market matured enough for them to step in and put its stamp on the product.

Innovation does not necessarily mean doing something first. And being first does not necessarily mean you are innovating.

This is true for all but the iPad, they did not wait for the market to mature, the completely rejuvenated it from next to nothing.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
I'm sorry, but Tim Cook is a lier. Back in 2013, Tim Cook specifically said that Apple will be introducing new products and product categories "across 2014." That quote should've meant that Apple has prepaid a set of new products that they were ready to introduce throughout 2014. However, here we are, in the second quarter of the year, and nothing new from Apple. Today's comment seems to be a confirmation that they still aren't ready to show us the new stuff by WWDC in June.

Seems like 2014 will be the exact same strategy for Apple as the years before; release every product you have within a month or two.
If you think he's a liar show your quotes. What he actually said as I recall was there would be new products in late 2013 (which there were) and into 2014. He has only promised a new category for some vague point in 2014.

Renzatic

Suspended
You think!

It's not like Apple are a greetings card company!

I'd love to see one of their cards. Imagine, if you will...

:front cover:

Picture of Tim Cook with that "heeeeeee" smile. The caption reads:

"We hear you're waiting for the next new thing..."

:inside card:

Blank page, with the caption:

"Don't worry, we've got some exciting new product categories lined up for you, and more surprises in the fall".

They'd sell in droves, man. DROVES!

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
"It means more to us to get it right than to be first"

iOS 7 would like a word with you.

What is with the criticsms with iOS7? I have personally found it much more usable and visually appealing than prior versions of iOS. Knock on wood, but on my iPhone 5 it works great with all it's handy features. I had trouble connecting to my work's WiFi while using iOS 6, but since upgrading to iOS 7 it connects automatically. I love the way one can close 2 apps at a time, switch apps quickly and quickly access the camera, BT, wifi, and even the calculator. Little things but handy. Is there room for improvement? Definitely, but I find the current OS a big improvement.

JPSaltzman

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2011
Now if only they would take their time and carefully craft well-executed (and bug-free) software for iOS and OS X. I'm tired of every release being beta, and bugs are only found out by the actual users, and Apple takes their time to (a) acknowledge the bug (b) fix it (c) release the fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.