Apple CEO Tim Cook Meets with Beijing Mayor, Chinese Vice Premier During Visit

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 28, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this week, we reported that Apple CEO Tim Cook has shown up in Beijing, posing for photos with customers at the company's Xidan Joy City retail store as part of a trip to meet with unspecified "Chinese officials" as disclosed by an Apple spokesperson.

Over the past several days, media reports have revealed that Cook has been meeting with several government officials in China, with IDG News Service reporting yesterday that Cook had met with Beijing mayor Guo Jinlong to discuss further cooperation.
    [​IMG]
    Apple CEO Tim Cook and Chinese Vice Premier Li Keqiang (Source: Zuma Press)
    The Wall Street Journal also reports that Cook met with Chinese Vice Premier Li Keqiang, discussing intellectual property issues and other topics of mutual interest.
    With intellectual property issues being one of the highlighted topics of discussion between Cook and Li, it seems likely that the two addressed the ongoing iPad trademark dispute that has seen Proview seeking up to $2 billion from Apple in exchange for the Chinese rights to the name. Apple claims that it already legally acquired the trademark in a broader rights deal and that Proview and its subsidiaries are colluding to extort considerably more money from Apple for the Chinese rights.

Update: Sources have indicated to AllThingsD that Cook also met with executives at China Mobile, the world's largest carrier. Apple has yet to launch the iPhone on the carrier, likely due at least in part due to the need for specialized hardware to run on its 3G network.
    Apple and China Mobile have been in discussions for several years, and Cook was seen at the carrier's headquarters last June, but no deal has yet been struck.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Meets with Beijing Mayor, Chinese Vice Premier During Visit

2. macrumors newbie

Omg, he's wearing a suit!

3. macrumors member

lavem

Much better than that track suit he had on the other day:)

4. macrumors G5

Macman45

This makes perfect commercial sense. China is a fast growing market as well as he foundation for Apples manufacturing process. Meeting with the Premier is a logical step for Apples CEO.

5. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Tim is looking sharp with the glasses and that suit!

6. macrumors newbie

I miss Steve. There's something fishy about Tim Cook.

7. macrumors newbie

The suit....

Sorry but steve would have been wearing turtle neck and Jeans ... thats what made him so cool.

8. macrumors G3

Wirelessly posted

Good for him. Steve would never suit up.

9. macrumors 6502a

3N16MA

Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs. I prefer him to be his own person rather than trying to be Steve.

10. macrumors newbie

I always find the pictures where one guy is looking into one camera and the other guy is looking into another camera awkward.

11. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

True! He probably ate Sushi before the photo.

Tim's looking sharp, and the Mayor opened his eyes big and wide.

Tim is trying hard to step into Steve's shoes to gain Apple's fans' approval.

To many people, Steve Jobs was Apple, and Apple was Steve Jobs.
    It's a very difficult concept to change, so anything Tim does is throughly scrutinized and compared to 'what would Steve have done instead'.

At the same time, he's trying to be himself, and not a copy of Steve Jobs.
    I'm sure he wants to be respected and remembered for who he is and how he did things after Steve's passing.
    I just hope he continues making the right decisions.

12. macrumors member

Hopefully Apple will tackle business finally. I'd like to see how they could transform that sector.

13. macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

Matching bow ties

hmmmm

14. macrumors regular

Looks like Cook knows the way to do biz in China: having a good relationship with the government. I see the iPad trademark issue resolved shortly.

15. macrumors 6502a

China's a big booming market and I hear Apple products are more a status symbol (since not everyone can afford a car).

/shrug/

16. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

It's tricky. For myself, I can't help but feel this type of stuff is more typical of regular companies. I like Tim, I like how things are going so far, but I hope they know that trying a few bold 'hungry' and 'foolish' ideas now and then might be a good idea.

And for the record? All the sushi I've had in China isn't that great. It's better in the states. ^_^;

17. macrumors member

Tim Cook looks a bit like UK comedian Paul O'grady in that picture.

18. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Those aren't matching ties and they aren't even bow ties!!! Get some glasses!!!;)

19. macrumors 6502a

All I can say :apple: is:

"Sleeping with the Enemy!"

20. macrumors newbie

No suits to meet AT&T, but a suit to meet in China. Apple knows where the growth is.

21. macrumors 601

vincenz

Spiffy!

Yep, and Tim Cook's tie (American style) runs right shoulder -> left side. The Chinese VP wears the Euro style left shoulder -> right side.

22. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Er so what would Steve have said about Jony Ive at the White House in a tuxedo. Is that uncool too? Considering the setting I think it was appropriate for Cook to be in a suit and tie.

[​IMG]

23. macrumors member

Sushi is Japanese cuisine, not Chinese. :D

24. macrumors regular

Steve Jobs was an incredible, amazing genius who can never be replaced, but his need to wear exactly the same outfit every day bordered on an anal-compulsive disorder. There's a time and place for everything and when one meets with the leaders of a foreign country, it's appropriate to wear a business suit.

But what I find interesting about this Tim Cook meeting is that if you replace Tim Cook's name with Barack Obama or any senior member of the administration, it still sounds perfectly reasonable. So I use this to conclude that Apple is eventually going to take over the U.S. Government (with or without China) because between them, they practically own the U.S. anyway. :D

25. macrumors 6502a

chirpie

Believe it or not, Sushi existed in China before Japan. But it was nothing like the sushi we know today.

I just always found it surprising that visiting a city like Shanghai (Port city, Asian continent) usually had substandard dining offerings for my favorite cuisine. ;)