Apple CEO Tim Cook Speaks on Leadership at Duke University

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Back in April, Apple CEO Tim Cook appeared in an event at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business discussing leadership. Cook earned his MBA from Duke after getting a BS from Auburn University.

He discusses collaboration, ethical leadership, career planning and more. Cook doesn't address Apple specifically, but in response to a question about achieving good collaboration, he talks about the need to hire executives who don't need their name in the spotlight and who are incredibly excited about the work they are doing.
    The embedded video above is a playlist and will play through each of the seven clips of Cook that the university has posted.

Article Link: Apple CEO Tim Cook Speaks on Leadership at Duke University

2. macrumors 604

bushido

omg if Tim Cook was a turtle he'd be the slowest of them all. get to the point zZz dreadful

the interviewer and him are a perfect match however

3. macrumors 6502a

JayCee842

So impressive... :rollseyes:

4. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

I'm guessing he's talking about Scott Forstall :D
    but this is really a great interview. Tim Cook is a smart fellow.

5. macrumors 68000

iGrip

6. macrumors 68020

bbeagle

You couldn't have possibly watched the videos. You posted this just 3 minutes after the article was submitted. You just came on here to poke fun and leave nothing of value - the complete opposite of what Tim Cook states in his videos.

The videos, so far, are very insightful and thought provoking. Something that cannot be done in 140 character twitter bites or quick action music videos. Tim Cook does NOT speak like a turtle, but rather has well, thought out points to convey.

7. macrumors 6502

I would rather have a CEO who thinks before he speaks and not a self-centered artist who has no clue but works well on camera (lots of CEO are in the second category, sadly).

Judge Cook by his achievements. I think we will get some nice surprises by the end of next year (new product categories from Apple).

8. macrumors 68020

bbeagle

How does knowing how to manipulate the stock market equate to intelligence?

I guess Albert Einstein wasn't intelligent because he couldn't get rich in the stock market. Okay. I see. :rolleyes:

9. macrumors 6502a

Yep, pretty much said what I was thinking - folk are quick to chime in without listening.

Some interesting comments so far in his interview, can't wait for WWDC

----------

Am I missing something, record revenue, impressive profits, but because the stock is down TC isn't doing a good job :D

10. macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Yep, this was quite good - what D11 should have been.

11. macrumors 604

bushido

i skipped through the first video then went back to game of thrones which seemed more interesting :p

12. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Sometimes is better not to post at all.

13. macrumors 68020

bbeagle

I would agree that Game of Thrones is interesting as well. However... it the Tim Cook videos are really a good set of videos you definitely should watch.

For example, in the last video, one of the students asks, 'When should we listen to our professors and when is it okay to break the rules?'

Tim Cook responds to this question very well. It's something that I didn't realize until later on in life that I should have learned earlier.

14. macrumors 68020

Managers should not be giving talks about leadership.

15. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

It's a nice, short series. Glad to see him talking about business in general, not the repetitive Apple questions he'll always get from journalists.

16. macrumors 6502a

This. Sad isn't it! :D

That's right, but as Cook is a leader maybe he knows a thing or two about good and bad leadership ;)

17. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Funny coming from you. FWIW, it would be equally funny coming from me. ;)

I do hope Cook wasn't just spewing BS. If not, I agree that having executives who don't need their name in the spotlight are important. I think that holds true for those who collaborate and those who do not.

18. macrumors 68020

bbeagle

We were talking about Tim Cook's INTELLIGENCE, not whether he was doing a good job or not.

19. macrumors 6502a

Well that makes sense, I mean would non-intelligent people do a better job, equally as good or not so well. Maybe we should ask him to take the test and see if he gets into Mensa.

20. macrumors 6502

Error: "This video does not exist." That was fast.

21. macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

I'd very much like to see yours and his on a chart.

22. macrumors 68020

bbeagle

moderators - this is clearly bullying.

23. vito, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

macrumors 6502a

How is it bullying?

You're questioning Tim Cook's IQ and a forum member has pointed out he would like to see a comparison of your IQ against Tim's. You raised the discussion of Tim's intelligence with at least in my opinion the pretence that you feel he isn't very bright, that's bullying too.

24. macrumors G4

daneoni

I can guarantee YOU would do a far worse job.

25. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

I watched the entire interview, and came away thinking, this is a man of great intelligence who chooses his words wisely. He has big shoes to fill, and an extremely difficult job to do. So far, I'm giving him a big thumbs up!