Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I just got back from working a meeting about health issues and how type 2 diabetes is taking over (and heroin overdoses). I thought it would be cool if they could find a way to bring gaming into the real world by creating glasses that turn a kid's neighborhood into a game environment. It would overlay elements onto the sightlines (so kids wouldn't be stumbling around blind to the real world, lol). I know there is already some of that with Google Glass overlaying mapping and signs that identify buildings so if the same thing could be done to make kids run around outside and play games, that would be very helpful to combat obesity, especially in kids. Although I bet a lot of adults would enjoy real-world gaming, too. I would!

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
in my opinion, AR is currently 'niche' and a mere baby-step towards the unprecedented mainstream adoption of VR (think TV but to the Nth power). AR will just be a feature of VR. these phones-turned-headsets are kinda cool, but almost pointless. i actually think VR has the potential to be the ultimate Apple killer. as in, who needs a company peddling luxury products when you can put on goggles and be using luxury items that no company could feasibly build in reality? really, how often are you staring at your gaming console while you play the latest release?

tim, don't bother with AR. jump to the meat and potatoes.

Couldn't disagree more.
AR will be the feature that EVERYONE uses in 10-20 years, for actual useful things. VR will remain the niche, loved by gamers and real estate agents, but sitting on the coffee table of the entertainment room most of the time.
[doublepost=1453914623][/doublepost]
Let me tell you something about VR from personal experience. It is the future.

I spent some considerable time with the HTC product, and it is nothing short of breathtaking. It is immersion into a world of awesome, where time is no variable.

Apple not being in this space, and quick is shortsighted and a huge miss. Anyone who has not had the chance to play with this is in for a truly life changing experience. Gaming on consoles and iPhones will be a thing if the past.

It is a monumental leap in alternative reality.

Its not a 'miss' if there's no market, and at the moment there is none.
They'll be there, and doing it well when it makes sense.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
C'mon, Tim .... Do one good CEO thing & make #AppleVR!!!
[doublepost=1453922705][/doublepost]
If anyone can build a VR headset with built-in CPU/GPU instead of tethered to a computer it would be Apple.

Yes, that's it precisely: CPU & GPU built-in.
These are microchips we're talking about. They aren't "heavy"! lol
Add an online VR-ized App Store & you've got yourself a winner!

To those calling the Rift heavy/awkward/bulky/ugly, you couldn't be more wrong.

And just much do you think a 5-imch LCD screen, some chips,
a headband & casing in an Apple VR HMD product could possibly weigh, anyway? lol

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
VR is freakin amazing. I haven't even tried out the Oculus, I've just used the Samsung Gear VR. I have a pre-order in for the Oculus though.

I do agree with some that it won't be mainstream yet, too big and bulky and it's MUCH too expensive. I don't think it will flop though. Video graphic card makers seem to do just fine selling high end stuff to gamers, and I think that will be the case as well with VR for the first couple of years. Eventually the technology will be small and cheap enough where it will begin to take off. Apple seems to excel at repackaging things to make them more palatable to the mainstream so them being involved in VR is definitely a good thing.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Couldn't disagree more.
AR will be the feature that EVERYONE uses in 10-20 years, for actual useful things. VR will remain the niche, loved by gamers and real estate agents, but sitting on the coffee table of the entertainment room most of the time.

i'd bet good money you're short-sighted on the matter. VR is going to be as light and compact as google glass someday. sure, AR may see it's heyday sooner, but VR is going to change not just media and consumption but the entire world's societal structure.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I want to know whatever happened to telepresence, which is a version of AR.

Back in the 1990s, we were all convinced that the future for cheap vacations (and remote work) would be to sit in a telepresence room (or wear goggles at home) and visit, say, Venice from New York via a remote-controlled robot in Italy. Or fly over the Alps like an eagle via a remote drone. Or even visit the moon the same way.

Not to mention all the potential of "touchy-feely" electronic leotards for teledildonics with a remote lover. Heck, we even figured that people would sell replays of lovemaking with someone famous.

FuFuFu

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
I think apple will release some VR product for the apple tv in near future. Price point will be 400$ for one eye, two is 999€ and its awesome.

Teugeus

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Everyone is missing the point here, VR lets people experience things they otherwise wouldn't be able to because of either a physical or mental disability. It is also a fantastic learning/teaching tool. The fact this started with video games isn't a coincidence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.