Apple Certification??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Draft, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Draft macrumors 6502

2. Mblazened macrumors regular

Yes; only apple certified technicians can repair warranty macs. You should call apple though and get the wholes story.

3. Draft thread starter macrumors 6502

What about macs that aren't under warranty? Also, could I do this out of my house?

Thanks again,
    Draft

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

its gonna take more than passing the certs, those will just show that you can do it. i highly doubt apple will let you do this out of your house.

iJon

5. Mblazened macrumors regular

It is definitely a more involved process than just getting certified. If it wasn't, i'd probably be running a shop out of my own house as well!

Like I said, call apple and inquire. 1800-my-apple i think.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

become an apple consultants network member. it helps :D

7. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Post whatever info you get. It's something I've been interested in also, and now that it's summer, I may actually have time for it.

8. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

I'll tell you what, get your A+, and your apple tech, and you got yourself a nice little income. I do the exact same thing. I havent had to deal with any macs yet but i am well prepared for them (but not certified). I've also found that elderly people really need a lot of help and have been doing training on email, internet, and most of ebay of all things. Its a good idea. keep us posted on how the apple cert goes. I've been interested and would love to hear how it is.

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

I'm confused iJon, if you pass Apple's certification, why would care where you were doing the repair? I mean, it would then have to be registered as a business, and liability and all that. I know your parent runa reseller, so maybe you can explain a little bit.

Regards,
    Gus

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont know much about it, im just using common sense. because you are certified just means you know your s***. but where you gonna order the parts from? there is more to it and im not sure what it is, i never asked. do some research. im sure it explains on apples site how to be a dealer.

iJon

11. neilt macrumors regular

used to be, don't know if it still is, that repair centers had to have at least 2 full time apple certified techs, a repair lab with all the proper equipment (antistatic mats, tools to work on CRTs, parts, etc) in order to get apple's blessing, and therefore compensation for warranty repair.

If you don't plan on doing warranty work, then i don't think apple would really care...

neil

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

exactly, its like this. if you are just gonna do software problems and small things like that, certification will only prove to your customers you know what your talking about. if you actually want to order parts and become a dealer there is a lot to do.

iJon