Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In celebration of the 2017 Chinese New Year, designated Year of the Rooster, Apple has launched a new section on its website in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Singapore highlighting five young Chinese artists that have created contemporary versions of traditional "Nianhua" folk art. The first day of the Chinese New Year is January 28, 2017.

chinese-new-year-image.jpg

The artists include Victo Ngai, Eszter Chen, Zhou Fan, Ye Hongxing, and Jiang Shan. Apple has given some background information on each piece of art created for the Chinese New Year celebrations, which were all created using a range of its products, including the MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Apple Pencil, and iMac.

Software programs used to make the art include Procreate for iPad, and Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator for Mac. On its website, Apple has wallpaper download links for each piece of art, as well as the date and location where each artist's work will be showcased at an Apple retail store in China.

Earlier this week, accessory maker Mophie also announced a product of its own that has a theme surrounding the Year of the Rooster. Available on Apple.com, users can purchase a version of Mophie's Powerstation Plus XL mobile battery with all-new artwork designed by Chinese street artist Hua Tunan. The XL universal battery offers 12,000 mAh of charge to both iOS and micro USB devices.

mophie-chinese-new-year-800x599.jpg

Apple has offered exclusive wallpapers to users in the past, last March encouraging fans to use its Renew program with a set of pro-environment backgrounds. For the Chinese New Year images, users can choose to download each piece of art in sizes for the Mac, iPhone, and iPad.

Earlier this week, Apple announced a Chinese New Year sale where users had the chance to get a free pair of red Beats Solo3 Wireless On-Ear Headphones when they purchased a select Mac or iPhone. The sale is now over, but began at 8:00 AM local time on January 6 in China, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan. The company also launched a New Year's gift guide with products themed around the celebrations.

Article Link: Apple Celebrates Chinese New Year With Exclusive Wallpapers Created on iPad, iMac, and MacBook Pro

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Funny that they could only find one artist who used the Apple ideal of an iPad and pencil. The other four used a desktop/laptop with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

Reactions: 5105973

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
The offer sold out in 2 minutes in Apple's online store after its very beginning. The total amount of the gifts was unknown.

Luscious

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
Apple has just announced that all you need in order to view these items is a $3,050.00 dollar dongle.

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Interesting. I don't recall Apple releasing Christmas, Hanukkah or American New Year wall papers. Is there a reason Tim is sucking up this hard to the Chinese, or is that just the thing to do these days?

Oh please, stop being so sensitive. Apple has done many promotions for other markets for years. Look at Japan's new year surprise box promotion, America's Black Friday sale, etc.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
These are beautiful and guaranteed to be popular in China where they'll be understood and appreciated

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Interesting. I don't recall Apple releasing Christmas, Hanukkah or American New Year wall papers. Is there a reason Tim is sucking up this hard to the Chinese, or is that just the thing to do these days?
... did you just compare this to Black Friday, the universal day for all retailers in the US to clear out old stock while padding their numbers for the busy holiday season, like Apple was doing us some kind of favor giving out gift cards with old tech while other retailers were offering direct discounts worth twice as much?

Yeah, ok

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
If I could say 'for heavens sake stop bitchin' without getting censored, I would.

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Hey, it's Lunar New Year. Other countries that aren't China celebrate the Lunar New Year as well.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Lovely work. And it pleases me to see Apple giving some exposure to artists. I hope to see this continue, if not grow.

It saddens me however to see no mention of the Mac Pro, Apple's own red-headed step-child.

Reactions: 5105973

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
This is marketing. Apple is simply took the opportunity coinciding the lunar new year. Any sane companies having a business in countries with a significant Chinese population would be wise to do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.