Apple Chooses Asustek For G5 iBook and PowerBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Lacero, Jun 20, 2005.

1. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Where does this crap come from? There may be updated iBook and PB models coming, but I can say with certainty that they will not be G5s.

2. supergod macrumors 6502

Regardless of whether or not the iBook will go widescreen (which is an eventuality) at this update or at the next, it (and the powerbook) are never going to utilize a G5 processor of any kind. This article is pretty much moot: having a headline like this after Apple has confirmed that a G5 portable is impossible is quite poor.

3. carlos700 macrumors regular

I don't see a PowerPC G5 in an iBook or PowerBook ever happening

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

G5 in a 'book, unlikely. Still, can't blame Apple for choosing to go with Asustek. I have several motherboards/pc components from them and they have all been great. The next 'book updrade will likely feature faster G4s, hopefully new video cards, DDR-II?, HD LCDs, SATA HDs (unlikely, but would be nice), etc..

Then we can look forward to 'books equipped with a Pentium M processor.

6. Will_reed macrumors 6502

Will_reed

Id rather look forward to a g5 powerbook than a pentium m powerbook who cares if it wont happen though it is possible to still see a g5 powerbook steve did mention there were more ppc products in the pipeline maybe theyll have a run at a g5 powerbook before they make the switch.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

The only things that will have G5's will be the Power Macs and iMacs. All the rest of the lines like the books just cant support a G5 and I'm sure Apple would rather concentrate on making a Centrino laptop line as best as it can be. While the rest of the desktops (eMac & Mac Mini) well... I doubt the market for these machines will really care whats running under the hood.

It just doesn't make sense to me that they will worry about new PPCs in the other lines.

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Yeah, Apple has a lot riding on the intel portables since everyone seems to be waiting for one. I'm sure they want to release something people will drool over to get intel acceptance over the hump.