Apple Cinema Display (20" vs 23")

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac2004, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

Okay, I have to make a decision now.....

I only have 5 days left to take my new 20" monitor back to the store and get the 23 inch Apple display instead. What do I do?

Should I just keep the aliminum 20 inch display or should I spend the extra $700 and get the 23" Appple display???

I'm so confused about this and I want to make the right decision. Have there been any issues with the 23" vs the 20"? What are most of you guys buying out there?

I use my computer for Internet browsing, email, word processing, web cam, photos, QuickBooks, chatting, etc.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

From the type of work you describe doing on your Mac, I wouldn't bother unless you really have $700 to blow...in which case what are you waiting for! Get it bought!

3. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

You can buy a LOT of stuff for $700 dollars. The 20" seems like overkill as it is for what you're doing.

I'd save the money for something else.

4. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I went back to the store tonight and I purchased the old 23 inch Cinema Display as it was $200 cheaper than the new 23 inch display. I have to tell you that the older Apple display looks an awful lot nicer in my opinion than the new aluminum ones on my desk. It also doesn't require a power cord like the new display does which is so nice. I like the big frame look also. Was the 23 inch old display a good one or did it have any issues that you know of I should check out? I really can't see anything. The old one just feels better quality too. When I installed the software that came with it on my new G5 it said I didn't need to install it. Did the software for this monitor already come pre-installed on the G5? Also, is the latch on the back set at one position or can you tilt it more one way or the other? It seems stiff. How do I change the brightness on this monitor? On the new ones the controls were on the side.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Response time and contrast ratio weren't as good on the old displays, but the old 23" still looks amazing, and unless you're playing games on it you probably won't even notice. Enjoy it!

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Here's an interesting little article comparing the new display to the old one: link.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You should be able to gently push the top of the display back.

Several ways:

1) You should be able to press F14 and F15 to either decrease or increase the brightness.

2) Go to System Prefences > Displays and you can adjust it from there as well.

8. Mac2004 thread starter macrumors regular

9. macaddictann macrumors member

Ooooh, I can't decide if I'm glad I read about the difference in the displays or not... I was going to buy a 20-inch aluminum. I have the older one at work, and I like the clear plastic better, but then the swivel and mount aspects of the current ones are nice, too (although let's face it, when will I ever do either?).

It's mildly inconvenient because I qualify for the education discount, but I guess I can seek out an older and larger display elsewhere for less money than a 20-inch aluminum with a discount ($1169)? And where at? Smalldog looks like it has one, and Macmall's charging $1800 for a 23-inch? Yowzers.

Hmmm, why is everything so complicated? Sigh.