Apple Cinema Display 30" - AppleCare up to 2014

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BrioBriss, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Alright, I'm about to come to a deal with a guy who's selling 2 Apple Cinema Display 30 inch in still a like new condition. He said that the AppleCare is up to 2014 on the screens.

Actually I send him a message asking him how does it come that AppleCare is up to 2014 since they were out of stock in 2010. Will wait for his answer, but any thoughts of you guys would be appreciate.

And here's my big question. I'd like to know how AppleCare will works if the screens are sold to another owner? Will it still works? Or the AppleCare is canceled at the moment it's sold to a new owner? I'm wondering if it'll still works and if I still need the recipe etc.

Also, since he is from USA and I'm from Canada, is the AppleCare will still apply or it doesn't since it's another country?

Thanks for clearing all my wonders here. I hope it'll work though.

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

He's wrong. AppleCare is no longer available for Apple 30" displays, unless they're bought as refurbs from Apple.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I'll looking through that.

Also, do you know if (let's say AppleCare is still applicable), it's still applicable when the item change of Country?

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AppleCare follows the device, not the owner. AppleCare coverage is not dependent on the location of the device, although service options may vary by country.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect, great to hear that, thanks for telling here.

6. macrumors 68000

7. thread starter macrumors regular

8. Attonine, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Actually, I think you will find the only devices where Applecare can change country are the laptops. All other devices Applecare is fixed to the country of purchase. This includes iPhones and iPads.

part 6.2 of the Applecare documentation:

"If you seek service in a country that is not the country of purchase, you will comply with all applicable import and export laws and regulations and be responsible for all custom duties, V.A.T. and other associated taxes and charges."

9. macrumors 68000

wesk702

It's amazing that you can pull up this documentation and have no idea what you are reading or posting. Your interpretation of the "documentation" is wrong in every way,

10. Attonine, Feb 6, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Ok, so clarify.

I have since done some more digging and it does seem that Applecare warranty can be available internationally, however you do need to check the country list in section 11 of the Apple care terms. It does seem Apple have modified there terms and different products have different levels of international warranty.

The iPad Applecare bought in the UK has warrantly cover for the following countries:

Austria
    Belgium
    Denmark
    Finland
    France (including Corsica and excluding overseas departments and territories)
    Germany
    India
    Ireland
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Netherlands
    Norway
    Portugal
    Spain (including Balearic Islands but excluding Canary Islands, Ceuta, Melilla)
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    United Kingdom

If you look at the Applecare terms for Mac and Display, for Applecare bought in the UK, the following countries are listed:

United States
    Afghanistan
    Australia
    Austria
    Bangladesh
    Belgium
    Bhutan
    Brazil
    Brunei
    Cambodia
    Canada
    Denmark (excluding Greenland and Faroe Islands)
    East Timor
    Finland (excluding Åland)
    France (excluding overseas departments and territories but including Guadeloupe, Reunion Island, Martinique, Tahiti and Guyana)
    Germany
    Greece
    Guam
    Hong Kong
    India
    Indonesia
    Ireland
    Italy
    Japan
    Laos
    Luxembourg
    Macau
    Malaysia
    Maldives
    Mexico
    Monaco
    Myanmar
    Nepal
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway (excluding Svalbard)
    Pakistan
    People’s Republic of China
    Philippines
    Poland
    Portugal
    Russian Federation (excluding Kuril and Sakhalin Islands)
    Singapore
    South Korea
    Spain (excluding Ceuta and Melilla)
    Sri Lanka
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    Thailand
    United Kingdom
    Vietnam

So Apple cares international credentials are far from uniform and dependant upon device, and possible also location of where the Applecare was purchased.

11. macrumors 68000

wesk702

Lol, ok. So you know how to copy and paste. Please stop posting meaningless quotes from "section 1.43" and "article xx.x" you sound like a tool. Especially when you misinterpret the very things you are quoting.

12. macrumors 68030

Actually, he's right.

International coverage varies by product. For iPhone, it's limited to the country of purchase, and other countries where the same model is used. I.e. if I'm in the US, and want to service my UK bought iPhone, it will need to be shipped back to the UK for service. With iPad, it's a bit more flexible, but still pretty limited (i.e. you can replace an AT&T iPad 2/3 in the UK, but not a 4, and you can't replace Verizon ones in the UK).

This international shipping is also not covered by the AppleCare plan:

13. macrumors 6502a

These are quotes directly relating to Applecare and international service which is directly relevant to the OP's original question. I entered this thread merely to warn the OP to do due diligence re Applecare for international purchases, it's not as clear cut as other posters were making it seem. How have you contributed to the OP's question?

You have twice accused me of misinterpreting the Applecare T&C's, I have asked you to clarify, you haven't. Brian Y has expanded on my post, supporting my point. Please add to the OP's question or points raised in the thread, or stay out of the thread. Calling names and not clarifying statements is not necessary and unhelpful.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help, it's appreciate ;)

15. macrumors 68000

wesk702

Just stop quoting and giving wrong information. It's possible that it was later purchased after DC date and AppleCare was added along with it. It wouldn't be unusual for Apple to start a warranty from he purchase date.

16. macrumors 6502a

could you explain how the information was wrong please.

17. macrumors 6502a

Why don't you just stop replying since you clearly can't seem to give a response to the questions asked, nor have you clarified where anyone has given any wrong information.

He cannot because he just wants to call others down rather than contribute.

My suggestion would be to verify the serial numbers of Apple own web site. It will show rather the Apple care is active or not.

18. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

30" ACDs were discontinued in July, 2010. They are not available on any "company showroom" or from any "trusted dealer", except used models.