Apple Cinema Display and the X-Box

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Joebot, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Joebot macrumors newbie

Recently an adapter was released that allows xbox owners to use the xbox with a VGA Display via an adapter

http://www.teamxbox.com/article.php?id=724&t=h

the G5 with a Cinema display came with a DVI to VGA adapter. Anyone think it would work?

2. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Apple Cinema Display and the X-Box

Not for these purposes no, it was a DVI->VGA adapter which was included with your G5, not the other way around which would be needed to connect your Xbox to it.. There is a solution but the cost would outweigh the benefits I would imagine, plus you're converting from VGA to DVI which doesn't exactly help the quality.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301

But be warned, it states that it only works if the source matches the native resolution of the display, otherwise it would be useless. Plus the cost ($299!) is also a turnoff.

Your best bet if to hook it up to a regular VGA monitor or an LCD which has a VGA input if you want to go the computer route...

3. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I tried one of these at an XBOX party I was at, I thought the video quality was lackluster because of how the LCD scaled the output from the XBOX. *shrug*

4. Joebot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply's guys. Too bad, I was hoping to finally get a nice picture for my Xbox games. Maybe i'll just have to save up for an HDTV. Thanks!

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Let's not forget that TVs are 720x480 (US) so an LCD would obviously stretch this.

6. Joebot thread starter macrumors newbie

some xbox games are setup to utilize widescreen format though. So a widescreen would be fine.

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Some X-Box games are also coming out that are VGA Compatible.
    I have to say for a Microsoft product it works well.