Apple Cinema Display or Dell 30"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by arachn1d, Mar 25, 2007.

1. arachn1d macrumors member

So, what's the difference besides saving money (going with dell).

I am wanting to pick up a 30" sometime soon.

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The Apple looks and feels a lot better. Otherwise nothing really, except some argue color differences (they use the same panel but possibly different backlights and/or they're calibrated differently).

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

You're forgetting a few rather important things...

The Dell is hight-adjustable. The Apple is not.
    The Dell has multiple inputs -- DVI, VGA, Composite, Component, S-video, and picture in picture, and can switch between them with the push of a button. The ACD does not.
    The Dell has a built-in media reader. ACD does not.
    Both have built-in USB hubs.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

Not with the 30"... The Dell 30" only has DVI.

Also, one thing you might want to consider is that Dell has two versions of the 30" LCD. The original is comparable to the Apple in just about every way, except price. The new Dell "HC" version of the 30" has a new LCD panel which has much better color representation. The HC is actually still less than the Apple at $1699 (I think this is the correct price), so it seems like the best quality option. The non-HC is the best value option.

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

6. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Really? A buddy of mine got the 30" and I could have sworn it had all the same inputs as the 24"...looks like you're right though. That kind of sucks.

7. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

they really should put firewire 800 on there... either to replace 400 or in addition

8. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

So what would you suggest I do? Get a refurbished Dell 30" or a refurbed ACD?

9. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

what's your budget?

10. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

Meh, money isn't too much of an issue. I am stingy though. I don't get paid much, but I don't have the biggest expenses, so put it that way.

11. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

if money is no issue, i'd get a new dell 30", the one with HC

12. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

HP LP3065 30" Has 3 Dual Link DVI Inputs for Under $1600 At Tiger.com

Same money can get you the HP LP3065 with 3 Dual Link DVI inputs so you can drive it from 2 or 3 Macs without buying an $800 switch.

It's also High Color Gamut like the new Dell. On sale at B&H for $1,580 after rebate.

13. iDave macrumors 6502a

Be careful of the Apple refurb. The refurbished 30" model I've seen on Apple's site is an older, slower, dimmer model. Note that the "original price" shown is $2999 or 3299. The 30" ACD hasn't been at that price for quite some time. Then check the specs compared to a new one.

14. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

Question, could I use either as a T.V? Hook it up to a console maybe?

15. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

EyetV Hybrid Can Be Your HDTV Tuner. What's Your Mac?

With an EyeTV Hybrid tuner attached you can. What Mac do you have?

16. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

I have a macbook pro. So I could hook up a t.v or xbox 360 (i don't have one, but curious) to both the dell or ACD?

17. arachn1d thread starter macrumors member

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if you have a VGA connection, then you can connect an xbox 360 if you buy the cable....you could hook a ps3 to a DVI connection, which both would have (to my understanding)

what do you mean by "tv"?

19. Turkish macrumors 6502

20. iDave macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the xbox. You could definitely get a TV Tuner USB device and use your Mac as a TV, connected to the display. Elgato makes the EyeTV. There are others such as Miglia as well. Do a Google search for USB TV tuner.

21. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

i really don't think game systems will work with the 30" unless you go through your mac first...

22. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

For the price, inputs, performance, value, pretty much you name it except for the subjective aesthetics, get the Dell hands down.

Apple is really going to have to figure out something with their next line, their pricing scheme on the ACD's is completely ridiculous.

23. iDave macrumors 6502a

I'd agree with you on price and value. But comparing the Dell 3007WFP to the current Apple 30" Cinema Display, you'll find performance is exactly the same, as are inputs. Outputs are also a wash (Dell has more USB ports; Apple has Firewire). When the newer Dell is available, it will likely beat the current Apple on performance. I've been in the market for quite a while and haven't decided what to buy yet. At this point, the HP LP3065 looks best to me but I'm waiting to see the reviews of the newer Dell, the rumored Samsung 305T and to see if Apple's going to have a new display this spring. I'll probably pull the trigger by early summer.

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i believe you can connect a PS3 to it with an HDMI to DVI cable.....not sure though

25. cuestakid macrumors 68000

one other thing that I would just like to put out there-the cinema display only has 1 cable for everything (power, the USB hub, connectivity, ect) whereas the dell has a seperate cord for the power, the monitor and the USB hub

just something else you may or may not want to think about