Apple Cinema Display or Dell Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by summero, Mar 18, 2007.

1. summero macrumors regular

summero

Which one should I get?

23" Apple

or

22" Dell

?

HELP PLEASE! :)

2. phuong macrumors 6502a

not enough input.
    it's like asking "should i eat tonight?" - the answer would be either "yes" or "no"
    so i answer your question: "buy either the Apple or the Dell"

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

4. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

5. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm under the impression that they use the some panels, or at least are the same resolution (23" ACD and 24" Dell). So, I'll personally be going Dell 24-inch. Cheaper and an extra inch.

Daniel.

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

7. summero thread starter macrumors regular

summero

Thanks a lot for your input :)
    I'm leaning more towards the 24" refurbished Dell now...

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

How can you be comparing an Apple 23" with the Dell 22" when the Dell 22" costs peanuts compared to the Apple display? Only consider the Dell 24"?? The "E" series of Dell monitors (like the 22" Dell) aren't good, and are only good at doing one thing: displaying what's on your computer. It doesn't claim to do this job well, but if all you care about is typical usage like checking email or writing documents, it's perfectly fine. :)

I'd rather get the 20" Dell E207 (is that the right code?) than the 22" Dell because they have the same resolution, and so the pixels on the 22" are simply more spread out and will look more pixellated than the 20".

But if you're doing graphics work, get the Apple 23" or maybe the 20" NEC 20WMGX2 (like the Apple, it comes with an AS-IPS LCD panel, which is the best for what you want to do).

Not even close.

9. BestBuyBoy macrumors member

BestBuyBoy

The gateway 22" for 299 from Compusa isnt a bad deal either..

10. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Yep, get the 2407 or the 2007 you will love it :)

11. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I was doing exactly the same comparison shopping last week. Here's what I found:

20" Dell: Quality good, not great.
    20" Apple: Quality really good.

22" Dell: No better than the 20". Resolution too low for its size. Pass.

23" Apple: One of the very best monitors you can get in this range.

24" Dell: Almost as good as the 23" inch, and a lot cheaper.

Keep in mind Dell has two different ranges of displays: a low-quality TN line-up, and a professional line-up. Avoid their low-quality screens! They'll make your eyes bleed.

Apple's displays are all professional-level quality. I was not able to find any other maker of quality LCDs in the same price range as the good Dells and Apples.

Other factors:

If you live by an Apple store, you can get a display same-day. With Dell, you'll have to wait for shipping.

The Apple displays are beautiful and solid. The Dells are so-so in the looks department and a little wobbly, but okay.

I ended up with the 24" Dell just because I couldn't afford the 23" Apple at this time.

12. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I just found that comment kind of funny. What exactly would you want your monitor to do other than that? Cook some toast? ;) :p

Personally, if I was choosing between the 207 (20") and the 228 (22") I'd take the 228, all things being equal. I like the slightly larger dot-pitch, it seems to cut down on some of the eyestrain (as an unrelated aside, I almost typed iStrain... weird).

Dell's panels have historically been nice, but they're supposedly switching to TN panels where-ever possible which has caused some disgruntlement in (some) users. I have seen a 2005FWP (or is it 2006?) in the Dell outlet store so you could keep checking to get one of those if you want a guaranteed high quality 20" display.

13. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

AFAIK, the 2007 and 2407 are still not TN panels. All the E-series ones are though (the cheap ones), so... let the buyer beware.

14. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

That's correct, AFAIK as well... The 2407WFP uses strictly -PVA panels. I ordered one b/c of the current sale price (should get it by 3/21/07), and am curious to see how it performs. Now I just have to decide what to do w/ my 20" Dell 2005fpw (which has an S-IPS panel); other than wanting a bigger monitor, there was no reason for me to upgrade as the 2005fpw is nearly flawless...

15. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

You're correct - I misspoke, they are using both a S-IPS and a -PVA panel in the 2007. The 207 uses the TN, as you said.

16. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Actually, I was wrong as well, at least partially--the 2407wfp uses a P-MVA panel, not a PVA...

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well, it could display things well. It'll put up an image, but if you care about quality, try something else.

18. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

Are you sure? According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_monitors, it uses S-PVA.

19. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Huh...the big thread over @ [H]ard Forums indicates it's P-MVA... I had always thought it was S-PVA; guess I should learn to not automatically believe what others post!!:D

20. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I just want to post to say that the 23" Apple Cinema Display is beautiful, and that you'll get what you pay for if you go down this road.