Apple Cinema Displays and Dead-Pixels?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by RobHague, Aug 31, 2005.

1. RobHague macrumors 6502

Do apple offer a gurentee that it will be 'dead-pixel' free?

Some TFT makers i recall were offering a warrenty that ensured you didnt get any defective pixels on a new TFT screen... since the cheapest ACD is over £500 id hope that this is the case with apple...?

One pixel might not be 'much' but at that price, and with the fact that when you find one you notice it everytime from then on :(

Thanks

2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Nope.

You can inspect at the store when purchasing.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

You sure about that? Because first you would have to buy it then open it, and from what i hear it needs to be at least 4 or 5 to be taken back.

4. md11 macrumors member

For the statistics:
    Bought 1, out of that amount 1 is perfect; in my eyes 100% are in good shape.

5. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Ditto. One time, I thought I found a dead pixel on my screen. Turned out it was just a small piece of lint. I really need to clean my room. :eek:

6. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

I didnt have to put it to the test. My iBook was perfect at the store.

I told them I wanted box opened and iBook turned on so I could inspect before walking out. They had no probelm with that. If it had a dead pixel, I would have told them to get another box.... I'm sure they would have accomodated me.

7. Mac macrumors member

Mac

Apple Insider has posted undisclosed documents from Apple concerning the pixel policy return.

Evidently if a customer perceives his/her ONE pixel to be too much the Apple representatives can redeem the screen i.e. have it to be returned.

Check the article at:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=604

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

20 cinema problems

I bought a 20 cinema display with my powermac back in january 2004, thankfully I got applecare (worth anyones money)

Within 2 weeks a dead pixel arrived. 1 pixel not enough according to apple to replace screen, when I rang.

A further 2 weeks later the screen started misbehaving and the light began blinking. Sent back to apple repair centre, where in they replaced the backlight.

About 6 months later a further pixel went. Still no luck speaking to applecare. By the way not being racist or anything, but when you live only 40 miles from Apple's main headquarters in Cork, Ireland. Having to go through hoops to speak to a person in India is a real pain in the backside. I know its only a job, but the customer support staff barly speak english and at the end of the day, don't give a ****.

Anyway back to the monitor, just three weeks ago a big batch of pixels finally went in one cluster. I wasn't worried as my extended waranty was still in action, so again back to apple repair centre.

2 weeks later they ship it back to me with a new screen. Plugged it in and yes fantastic no dead pixels. However the light was blinking and then I realised the bloody backlight had died at the top of screen,

Aghhhhhhh damn monitor....

So another irrate call to apple, this time bypassing the numbers apple give you in your applecare book, (this is a good tip if your in Ireland) I just rang the web order number and asked to speak to someone about the problem, thankfully an Irish voice came back to me in fluent english...

I explained the problem and as this was the Third time the monitor has give n trouble they told me I was entitled to a full replacement or refund.

I asked if they could exchange the monitor for one of the newer DVI models and was told they would only replace with another ADC model. However if I got a refund I could just re-order the DVI model, so that's what I did.

Thankfully at the time i paid 1571 Euro for the 20" model, so with my refund, I ordered 2 new models for the same price I paid back in january last year.. :)

Both are perfect, no dead pixels :) I'm just keeping my fingers crossed.

9. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Damn, you're lucky. I wouldn't be whining in any way shape or form if for some reason my single 20 inch was replaced by two brand new 20 inchers.