apple cinema displays as TVs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zoboomafoo, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Zoboomafoo macrumors regular

May 22, 2002
    i need a new tv and i need a new computer.

while the 30" display is very expensive, if it can double as a good HDTV, i would actually give some thought to buying it, so that i can have an awesome computer monitor and a good TV as well.

is there any comparison of apple's LCD monitors to the LCD TVs out there?
  2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yes, watching TV on a 30" Apple Cinema Display (ACD) will be disappointing, just as using a regular 30" LCD TV (with 1280x768 native resolution) will be a big step down from using a 30" ACD.

The reason is the 30" Apple has far higher resolution than HDTV, so you'll be able to see all sorts of garbage artifacting much more clearly on it than on a 1920x1080 or lower LCD TV.
  3. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    so what about the 20"? would it be any good watching tv on it?
  4. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I bought the Dell 30" LCD TV for my office and its picture quality was horrible.

I went out to circuit city last week and bought a 32" Sharp LCD TV. The quality was significantly better than the Dell. It was alot more than the Dell costing $2200, which is $800 less than the Apple Cinema. If you were to hook up the Sharp to a computer, everything would be really big unlike the cinema, but the TV/DVD quality is excellent, and thats what I needed.