apple cinema displays as TVs

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Zoboomafoo, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Zoboomafoo macrumors regular

i need a new tv and i need a new computer.

while the 30" display is very expensive, if it can double as a good HDTV, i would actually give some thought to buying it, so that i can have an awesome computer monitor and a good TV as well.

is there any comparison of apple's LCD monitors to the LCD TVs out there?

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Yes, watching TV on a 30" Apple Cinema Display (ACD) will be disappointing, just as using a regular 30" LCD TV (with 1280x768 native resolution) will be a big step down from using a 30" ACD.

The reason is the 30" Apple has far higher resolution than HDTV, so you'll be able to see all sorts of garbage artifacting much more clearly on it than on a 1920x1080 or lower LCD TV.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so what about the 20"? would it be any good watching tv on it?

4. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I bought the Dell 30" LCD TV for my office and its picture quality was horrible.

I went out to circuit city last week and bought a 32" Sharp LCD TV. The quality was significantly better than the Dell. It was alot more than the Dell costing $2200, which is $800 less than the Apple Cinema. If you were to hook up the Sharp to a computer, everything would be really big unlike the cinema, but the TV/DVD quality is excellent, and thats what I needed.