Apple Cinema displays

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, May 30, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hey guys,

I'm am thinking about in a few months getting the 23" Cinema HD display (1920x1200!), but I was just wondering if anyone had heard of apple having anything better in the pipeline, I would hate to pay out all that money for them to bring out a bigger screen (24", 25") with an even higher resolution.
    Don't get me wrong, 1920 x 1200 is fantastic and I'm not saying that I would need more, but if it was available then I'd want it, or, if they do release a bigger screen then they may drop the price of the current 23" to the price of the 22", that would be even better!

Thanks.

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Apple only introduced the 23" HD this year, so I doubt we'll see anything bigger so soon. But if anything, you would most likely see it at MWNY. Again, though, I don't think anything bigger will come out so soon. Man I wish I had that kind of money to spend. :eek:

[edit: 23", not 24"!]

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

24"? Is that a typo? it must be! Isn't the biggest a 23"?
    And I don't really have the money to spend, but I'd spread the cost. I too wish that I could just buy it!

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think the 23" is a waste of money. Buy 3 17" screens and you'd have much more realestate and it will cost less, even after you buy the extra graphics card and dviator.

And if there is a 19" in the works from Apple, which would be awesome, maybe we'll see it at MWNY.

I'm planning on having 3 monitors when I buy my next machine next year, I'm already getting excited over it.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yup, that was definitely a typo. Dangit, verbose, now you got me thinking that! :p

6. Jbear macrumors member

I agree

I agree. Although the 23" would be awesome to own, I dont think its worth the price. I would also rather buy mulitple 17" monitors and/or 19" if they ever show up.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

holy crap 3 friggin monitors!!???!?!?!?! It would be like making a jouney just to get to the other side of my desktop!!!!! WHAAAAA :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

irmongoose

8. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Now you've all got me thinking :confused: ...what to do, what to do...
    I have 3 18" LCD's at the moment, 2 on the mac and one on the PC and it's great.
    The combined resolution of the 2 18" is 2560 x 1024 which is great, I just really like the idea of one MASSIVE screen with 1920 x 1200 with no separation in between screens.
    Has anyone out there got one of these screens and if so do they think it was worth it?

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Buy now it will be along time before Apple makes anything bigger.

10. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

U mean about spreading the cost of a nice new screen?

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have to go to the Apple store soon to see if they have any on display. But if you were to use it for playing movies/DVDs I could see the use in the larger monitor. Since you already have the multiple monitore thing going, it might be worth checking out. But I would recommend seeing one first hand before you shell out the cash, you don't want to make a purchase that big based on what anyone else has got to say.....

12. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know, but over here in the UK it will be VERY hard to find anywhere that has one on display, we don't have any apple stores and they're aren't many (actually I don't know of any, but there must be one somewhere) high street retailers appart from PC stores that have the occasional iMac.

13. iGav macrumors G3

Try Micro Anvika, then generally have the latest mac stuff in.......

Or the Applestore on New Oxford Street they might do it..... it's opposite the Point 101 bar....

As for the 23", if you're doing HDTV, then it's a must....... otherwise, go for the 2x 22"..... heh heh.....

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I think the John Lewis on oxford st. had a 23" flat-panel on display last time i checked.

We may not have Apple Stores in the UK yet, but there are other options (like flying over to NY....:rolleyes: )

15. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

The Apple Store over here in Fashion Island (Newport Beach, CA) had the 23" HD on display right after it came out. It was so frigging huge, I can just picture myself developing agoraphobia from looking at the desktop! :eek: I'll bet they keep a mop handy just for the drool. ;)

16. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks for the tips iGAV and britboy, I'll have to go and take a look.
    I think I may need my own mop :D

17. TypeR389 macrumors member

Yea an independant store here in Seattle has on on display as well. I went in to look at one of the new 800 TiBooks, but I think I just stood there and stared at the 23" for a couple of minutes before I could make it around it to look at the laptop...

Sweet display, if only I knew how to rob a bank!