Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Now that the 5s is sold out, people will buy the 5c instead, then Apple will claim that the 5c was a total sellout too.

Sorry, but nonsense! Anyone who have decided 5s will simply just wait. As much as I like the 5C (best phone made on plastic IMO) I will just wait for the 5S.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
But they end up selling millions of units. Did you ever think that high demand means, you know, high demand? With all those long lines at the stores, do you think it's all just marketing spin?

People just like to complain about Apple's marketing. Apple does have terrific marketing - there are no tech companies with better marketing and few other companies with better marketing. Of course, the job of Apple's marketing team is easier with such great products. The thing is though that people who complain about "Apple marketing this and Apple marketing that" conveniently ignore the fact that Apple has the highest overall customer satisfaction rates (for smartphones, Samsung has done comparably well recently). Marketing will never mask poor products over time. The fact that Apple's customers keep coming back and keep wanting more Apple products (in general) shows that it's the products and not the marketing.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Apple marketing does it again, to much stock means you're not planning to your customer.

Not having enough stock makes "incredible demand" headlines, drumming up excitement for more sales.

Yeah and they probably took down some servers to make us think their servers were "swamped." RIGHT GUYS???

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I've noticed a lot of comments saying that the fingerprint sensor is causing low yields, however it looks like a lot of the Apple stores have a good supply, just in the "space gray" color. Is it possible that the gold and silver colors were somehow more difficult to make, and therefore, there are so few? Honest question/thought.

MikeDTyke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
When SJ rejoined aapl they had to write down hundreds of millions in stock.

That's why he hired Tim Cook. To create an organisation that runs with minimal stock sitting in a warehouse. On some lines they have less than a weeks worth of stock in the pipeline.

Now bear in mind that each year they've release what, 6 new SKU's. ie. Black/White in 3 sizes. This year that went up to a whopping 16 times the various cellular/frequency variations that they have to do.

The point being is they make it harder and harder each year to guess just what you are going to turn up to a phone shop and pick.

What they won't do is ship 1600 phones to every store and have a bunch of them sit on the shelves for weeks, like all the others do. They know that customers wanting an iPhone will wait, will order and the ones that are truly desperate will like take whatever's still left on iPhone day.

Play the smart card and order online. Stick iOS 7 on your existing device to help ease the pain. :D

vsighi

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'm so glad this year I upgrade to the htc one :D but to be honest I'm not that impres with the android OS:cool:
This will do till next year new redesign iPhone 6 with quadcore processor and the most anticipated 4.7" or 5" 1080p HD screen...this is all what I want for christmas :)

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I've noticed a lot of comments saying that the fingerprint sensor is causing low yields, however it looks like a lot of the Apple stores have a good supply, just in the "space gray" color. Is it possible that the gold and silver colors were somehow more difficult to make, and therefore, there are so few? Honest question/thought.

There shouldn't be any yield issues with the silver - it's the exact same as last year's white.

I think they probably grossly underestimated worldwide demand for gold. The response has surprised me as well. Everyone was talking about how tacky it looks and now it seems as if everyone wants it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Stores got like zero stock, at least in the Boston and Northern New hampshire area. This Apple store got five AT&T models and a handful of others. Of course demand is going to outweight those pitiful numbers. I thought the Lumia 920 launch was soft... but this is ridiculous.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
It seems with 5s coming out, nobody cares about the 5c anymore... :)

Not true. I have a friend in line right now for a Verizon 5s. The Apple store reps were saying the demand for the 5c has been quite high as well. I have a feeling Apple is going to sell many many many 5c's. Wall Street is going to do a 180 on the stock when they realize just how many of these high margin phones they will move. As soon as demand starts to drop, then the price cut will come.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Everyone's a winner. For those that "won" a "new" 5S today ...well done.
You can now go home with it and:
Put on a plastic coloured case.
Try out the fingerprint sensor instead of taking the same time to press four screen digits
Take a few photos of your cat and furniture with the great new camera and do a few motion capture slo mo videos of the cat. And furniture.
Realise how 'fast' everything seems and comment on how snappy Safari is.
Contact the bank manager and apologise for being a bit silly and taking out that phone-loan and can yIu cancel the contract please?

For those who will have to wait:
Rejoice. You will have less time to wait until the iPhone 6 full-version comes out next year and have saved £££s by doing it. Meantime. Go out to your local Poundland. Get a good colours case. Slap it on. Download IOS 7. Go to your friends and declare "look gullible friends - my new 5S'..don't worry people can't tell the difference between the 4/S anyway. They will marvel at the snappy Safari. The sharp shots. The photo filters and the 'fingerprint scanner' ...secretly just the home button...but with the screen lock disabled.

Result, now. Go and enjoy the rest of your life. Thanks! :)

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Apple marketing does it again, to much stock means you're not planning to your customer.

Not having enough stock makes "incredible demand" headlines, drumming up excitement for more sales.

Actually see it other way, if you are making device, how much you will make. 1 million, 2, 3 ... they practically sell 5 million in those few days (iphone5).

Its not a good idea business wise to make and stock 20million of them, its just bad business. With any new device, its always like testing water, what if something goes wrong with manufacturing process, they'll have 20 million defective device. Remember iphone 4 (they didn't fix that its different argument)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I think the carriers always say they didn't have enough. I wonder how much of the supply constrainst is due to worldwide availibility on the same day.

Very less so than usual - very low supplies. There weren't any gold models, and meagre supply of others.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008

They may have listened to the nut gallery on this site saying how much they hated gold and left them in china

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
How and where do you get that number? Will you still say 100 iPhones when Apple announces 5 or 6 millions sold over the weekend?? Oh right!! They must be lying...... because you know, it's Apple! :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: I see you missed the irony there pal. All I am pointing out is that stocks are EXTREMELY, if not TOO, limited. I'm in France. Woke up at 7am to be the first in line. Guess what: I was. However, with what did I walk out? Nothing. They had 1 16 space grey, and 2 32g ... NO SILVER, NO GOLD. Oh, and of course, they had like a hundred iPhone Cs.

Disappointed, rant: over.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I wish Apple would stop using that god awful gold iPhone for advertising. I wanted black for my 5, but went with silver due to the chipping issues. Now that it is more of slate color I will be going with the 5s Slate when I'm ready.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
There shouldn't be any yield issues with the silver - it's the exact same as last year's white.

I think they probably grossly underestimated worldwide demand for gold. The response has surprised me as well. Everyone was talking about how tacky it looks and now it seems as if everyone wants it.

I just wonder if the production of the white phone wasn't inhibited by making the gold phone. I am obviously not familiar with the manufacturing process, but since it looks like the gold phone uses some of the same parts as the white phone, it may be harder to produce enough volume off at the start for both colors.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
According to carriers, supplies of iPhone 5s were very constrained anyway.. which pissed them off somewhat...

I'm sure Apple will sell out of whatever supplies there are. iPhone still remains very popular :)

apple purposefully ships low quantities to carriers. it's been part of apple's business plan ever since tim cook took over. remember tim cook in that conference call said one of the priorities of apple is to get more customers into the store specifically related to iPhone purchases and activations?

by providing the carriers with pitiful supply #'s, they are sending a message to customers that if you want the color and model you want of the 5S, you need to come to the apple store

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.