Apple Claims 20% of U.S. E-Book Market, Double Previous Estimates

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 12, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Publishers Weekly reports (via paidContent) that testimony from Apple executive Keith Moerer in the ongoing e-book price fixing trial has revealed that Apple holds approximately 20% of the e-book market in the United States, roughly double many of the previous estimates made by third parties.
    Beyond the market share claim, Moerer pointed to strong growth of the iBookstore in vigorously challenging the U.S. government's assertion that Apple's e-book effort has been a failure.
    Testimony in the case is now in its second week, with Apple senior vice president for Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue scheduled to take the stand tomorrow.

Article Link: Apple Claims 20% of U.S. E-Book Market, Double Previous Estimates
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 27, 2011
    That was surprising!

The strength of the iTunes ecosystem is easy to underestimate I guess.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2007
    If Apple has 20%, I'm curious who makes up the other 80% (?)
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2009
    This is remarkable considering they do not sell any E-ink devices.
  5. powers74, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

macrumors 68000

Aug 18, 2008
    At the bend in the river
    Sounds like they're pulling some pretty basic reverse psychology on Eddy- EDIT: sorry, Moerer- there. I can see them turning those numbers on Apple.
  6. macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2007
    The Gov stating things as facts with no backup? You dont say.
  7. macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    WTF? It is a failure because the government claims it is a failure? That's it? Are these guys just naturally stupid or do they have to go to special training courses?
  8. macrumors 601

Feb 8, 2004
    Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Cue: "Apple should just buy the government" or "The gov is stupid bringing a case like this" (because we consumers like price fixing higher than what it would have cost for the same book from others like Amazon), and similar. Those that feel this way, please send all the money you can make for as little as nothing in return payable to Apple, Inc, 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA 95014. I'm sure they'll appreciate your donations in support of this kind of business behavior which helps the publishers at our expense and basically pressures alternate competitors like Amazon to RAISE their eBook prices.
  9. macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2005
  10. macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2009
    How does the government calling the iBook store a failure do anything to move forward its case against Apple? Isn't the basis of this case the negotiations that Apple had with the publishing companies? I find this case incredibly interesting in as far as that the government is going after Apple for the price of ebooks yet oil companies continue to have free reign to price gouge at every drop of the hat.

Well they are lawyers...and they do work for the government...
  11. macrumors 68040

Jun 26, 2009
    Burpelson AFB
    Exactly. I'm surprised Amazon isn't at 95%. Good to see Apple at 20% if these numbers are to be believed.
  12. macrumors member

Jun 14, 2011
    This government of ours is out of control. The amount of money being wasted on this trail is mind blowing
  13. macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2010
    It's incredibly ironic and ludicrous that the US Government is lecturing Apple on wooing and taking care of customers.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2007
    You'll also have B&N in there as well.
  15. macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    Then Amazon doesn't have a monopoly, now does it?
  16. macrumors 601

Feb 8, 2004
    I think Apple should get into the oil business and launch a string of Apple gas stations with gas priced at about $10/gallon. What is a gouge by existing oil companies will probably be spun into comments like "but my car is snappier when I use Apple gas" or "I've noticed a significant improvement in how my car runs with Apple gas" and probably some "Die, Exxon Die", etc. ;)

Then, a few months later, out comes Samsung Oil with bigger screen gas pumps at about 2/3 of the price of Apple-branded gas. And of course, that will be substantially inferior gas even if Samsung is the underlying supplier to themselves and Apple's gas stations.

All ;)
  17. macrumors 603

Oct 28, 2007
    Yes, our government is very wasteful. But, no matter how the government acts or how Apple's high-powered lawyers spin Apple's behavior/words, it's more than highly likely Apple is guilty in this case. The evidence is overwhelming.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Apr 12, 2002
    Agreed. Any standard book that doesn't need color I buy on Amazon so I can use it on a nice cheap kindle outside, at the beach or any other high light environment where an iPad is useless.

But then there lots of people like my sister who don't even know that iPads can read kindle books.
  19. macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2011
    I read all my books now on my retina iPad. Love it! 20% is still way higher than what I would have guessed, very nicely done Apple
  20. macrumors member

Nov 12, 2012
    When has government ever made money?
    They always reach the pockets of people and by borrowing from countries like China.
    Its the only job where politicians rip off money from people to get their paychecks for doing experiments on people, economy and country!
  21. macrumors 601

Feb 8, 2004
    The trial is about not allowing big companies to screw over us consumers by fixing ebook prices at higher than what they would have otherwise sold for. In other words, this is the (seeming rare) government action actually trying to do something for the people- not the huge corporations- and we're finding fault with it because one of the culprits happens to be Apple. If this was a thread about someone like Samsung or Amazon doing the same, I bet the sentiment would be substantially the other way.
  22. macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2003
    New Hampshire
    Why don't you wait till the verdict is announced. :D.

Do you work for Amazon :D ?
  23. macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    Unfortunately, not one evidence of illegal behavior has been presented. Government is adding a lot of events and anecdotes together, each which is perfectly legal, to weave a tale of illegal collision. We'll see if the jury buys it, but with all the inevitable appeals that awaits, the final outcome will not be known for a long number of years.
  24. macrumors 6502

Jan 20, 2010
    Yeah, 20% of sales and 50% of the profits.:D
  25. macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2009
    Premià de Mar
    There is no jury