Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gumbyjunior1

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2013
'Merica
The way I see this is simple, Apple only cares about getting the product out in a short time - thus will reach out to vendors to source the CPU. Similar to how you can get a pc with a AMD, VIA, or Intel processor. So one can say that the quality can be compromised since there is no "apples to apples" on the component.

The sooner Apple sticks to one manufacturer or makes their own processor, the sooner I can really rely on the dependability of Apple Q&A. One can also say that, when this happens, when you buy the exact Apple iphone model, it would be identical to the processor core of anyone else in the world who has the same model.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
As I said a thousand times, Apple sold something like 60 millions or more of iPhone 4 in 4-5 years, to happy customers.
This "drop call" issue is totally BS ...
I used my iPhone 4 for 13 months without a single issue and I live in an area where signal strength drop to 1-2 bars often.

Was your iPhone 4 used on a GSM or CDMA network?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
People vote with their wallets.
The hardware in iPhone 6/6+ was top notch and all this fuss about memory was a BS typical of forums like this (and users like you). My iPhone 6 doesn't struggle to keep anything. I'm using 3 tabs, mail and iTranslate opened in the same time in this very moment, and nothing is reloading.
And as a side note, I have very little knowledge of electronics..... just a degrees, a master and 23 years of experience....

So McDonald's is the best food out there?

After all that's want people vote for. In fact more pieple vote for android phones than iPhones with their wallets as far more android phones are sold than iPhones

Not only that but plenty of people buy a new iPhone from the hype. Or they're locked into the ecosystem. Or they wanted a new phone. It doesn't have much to do with the quality of the phone.

Your accumulated knowledge doesn't really show if you are convinced 1 Gb of ram was enough in 2014. Only an apple apologist would say that. Hoards of iPhone 6S upgraders have said that their 6s can finally actually keep enough tabs open. The hardware in the 6 and 6+was sub par in terms of memory. Oh wow 3 tabs. A high end iPhone should be able to manage a lot more than that.

The only reason the 6 and 6+ had 1gb of ram was for slightly higher profit margins.

I have a feeling some Wouk defend apple if they re released the iPhone 3G as the iPhone 7. Or if they released an iPhone that crashed 50 percent of the time.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Was your iPhone 4 used on a GSM or CDMA network?
GSM ... and I mean ALL OVER THE WORLD, not only in europe
So McDonald's is the best food out there?

After all that's want people vote for. In fact more pieple vote for android phones than iPhones with their wallets as far more android phones are sold than iPhones

Not only that but plenty of people buy a new iPhone from the hype. Or they're locked into the ecosystem. Or they wanted a new phone. It doesn't have much to do with the quality of the phone.

Your accumulated knowledge doesn't really show if you are convinced 1 Gb of ram was enough in 2014. Only an apple apologist would say that. Hoards of iPhone 6S upgraders have said that their 6s can finally actually keep enough tabs open. The hardware in the 6 and 6+was sub par in terms of memory. Oh wow 3 tabs. A high end iPhone should be able to manage a lot more than that.

The only reason the 6 and 6+ had 1gb of ram was for slightly higher profit margins.

I have a feeling some Wouk defend apple if they re released the iPhone 3G as the iPhone 7. Or if they released an iPhone that crashed 50 percent of the time.
again, Apple didn't sell iPhone 4 only at launch, they sold it for 5 straight years....

1 Gb of RAM is enough even in 2015 since Im using an iPad Air and an iPhone 6 today, and they are running great.
Sto judging iOS with Android poor memory management in mind.
3 tabs and 3 apps, yes, that's what A SMARTPHONE is supposed to handle. If a need a different workload Im using my MBP...
But I love people like you judging a smartphone based on how many tabs it can open ....
And I still have to see my iDevices to crash 1% of the time, in my experience. Where I work, we manage gears with a value of $7 millions (yes, SEVEN MILLIONS EACH) with iPad 4 and two apps. In 2015. Are this "pro" enough ?
I'm sure you and your 10 tabs opened are much more "demanding" than that .... lol

Reactions: Redmond94

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm still quite baffled of this "Real World" usage term. They advertise "Desktop class CPU" and "Console quality graphics GPU", but are we supposed to use them like 20$ Nokias?

Difference most certainly isn't 2-3% if they are used for Desktop tasks or played Console quality graphics games!
Do you have an actual example of this? Perhaps a "real world" usage example where someone was doing things that took advantage of the "desktop class cpu" and "console quality graphics" and saw a significant difference in battery life?

Reactions: Max(IT)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
again, Apple didn't sell iPhone 4 only at launch, they sold it for 5 straight years....

Again you're missing the point. McDonalds outsells plenty of other food that is much better.

My iPad Mini 2 can barely keep 4 taps open. Its a disaster, bad enough in 2013, much worse in 2014 with the 6.

I love when people like you will blindly support Apple. Its wildly recognised that the iPhone 4 had issues. Even Apple realised that. The same with cost cutting that occurred with the iPhone 6 in terms of being under specced. I'm glad you're happy with yours, but that doesn't detract from the fact it had too little ram.

Considering the iPhone 6 is meant to be a high end 'Desktop class' performance phone, the fact it struggles keeping tabs and apps open is a joke.

Your work's iPad 4's have nothing to do with anything. What you're describing sounds nothing like multitasking.

1GB of ram in a premium iPhone is a joke in 2014. A complete joke.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Again you're missing the point. McDonalds outsells plenty of other food that is much better.

My iPad Mini 2 can barely keep 4 taps open. Its a disaster, bad enough in 2013, much worse in 2014 with the 6.

I love when people like you will blindly support Apple. Its wildly recognised that the iPhone 4 had issues. Even Apple realised that. The same with cost cutting that occurred with the iPhone 6 in terms of being under specced. I'm glad you're happy with yours, but that doesn't detract from the fact it had too little ram.

Considering the iPhone 6 is meant to be a high end 'Desktop class' performance phone, the fact it struggles keeping tabs and apps open is a joke.

Your work's iPad 4's have nothing to do with anything. What you're describing sounds nothing like multitasking.

Nothing under specced in any iDevices I owned (and I owned almost all of them). Only the iPad 3 wasn't really a good product in this matter....
The iPhone 6 ACTUALLY IS an high end device, and you clearly don't understand much about it since for you the number of tabs opened is the only benchmark to use.
My work's iPads are the demonstrations that YOUR benchmark is silly and limited, while a product can be high end even with 1 Gb of RAM, if the operative system is designed accordingly ...
Multitasking in iOS is (was, since things are slightly changing with iOS 9 and 2 Gb devices) different from Android. You don't need 2 Gb to be productive on an iPhone 6.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Nothing under specced in any iDevices I owned (and I owned almost all of them). Only the iPad 3 wasn't really a good product in this matter....
The iPhone 6 ACTUALLY IS an high end device, and you clearly don't understand much about it since for you the number of tabs opened is the only benchmark to use.
My work's iPads are the demonstrations that YOUR benchmark is silly and limited, while a product can be high end even with 1 Gb of RAM, if the operative system is designed accordingly ...
Multitasking in iOS is (was, since things are slightly changing with iOS 9 and 2 Gb devices) different from Android. You don't need 2 Gb to be productive on an iPhone 6.

The iPhone 3G was under specced. So was the iPad Air 1 and Mini 2. The iPod Touch 4 was also under specced. Not to mention the iPad 1. That thing was hugely under specced- surprise surprise, it was in the ram department.

I'm not saying the iPhone 6 is a poor device in every way, but I am saying that Apple cheaped out on the ram. And they did. It should have had 2GB of ram. The reloading exemplifies that.

iOS can not compensate for too little ram. It can do a fairly good job, but at the end of the day, it doesn't make up for Apple putting too little RAM in a device. Multitasking is a big part of using an iPhone, and it isn't the only thing that too little ram in the iPhone 6 will lead to. The iPhone 6 will age poorly as result of the ram, its been shown time and time again. iOS devices often hit their ram limit way before their processors become too old to continue being useful. The A5 processor with 1 GB ram would be far better than the A5 processor with 512MB of ram in 2015. Simple fact.

I'm really really glad your iPhone 6 is great for you. But honestly if you think Apple is justified in putting too little ram in a a ridiculously expensive iPhone then you must be someone who will justify anything Apple does.

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The iPhone 3G was under specced. So was the iPad Air 1 and Mini 2. The iPod Touch 4 was also under specced. Not to mention the iPad 1. That thing was hugely under specced- surprise surprise, it was in the ram department.

I'm not saying the iPhone 6 is a poor device in every way, but I am saying that Apple cheaped out on the ram. And they did. It should have had 2GB of ram. The reloading exemplifies that.

iOS can not compensate for too little ram. It can do a fairly good job, but at the end of the day, it doesn't make up for Apple putting too little RAM in a device. Multitasking is a big part of using an iPhone, and it isn't the only thing that too little ram in the iPhone 6 will lead to. The iPhone 6 will age poorly as result of the ram, its been shown time and time again. iOS devices often hit their ram limit way before their processors become too old to continue being useful. The A5 processor with 1 GB ram would be far better than the A5 processor with 512MB of ram in 2015. Simple fact.

I'm really really glad your iPhone 6 is great for you. But honestly if you think Apple is justified in putting too little ram in a a ridiculously expensive iPhone then you must be someone who will justify anything Apple does.
personal opinions without any real technical backup

newlifer

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2014
hey guyz I'm wondering if there is a way to know which processor is included before unboxing the 6s?

MaciMac100

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
Do you have an actual example of this? Perhaps a "real world" usage example where someone was doing things that took advantage of the "desktop class cpu" and "console quality graphics" and saw a significant difference in battery life?

At the end of video results are,

Samsung 55%
TSMC 62%

If we then keep on going, and do the math;

Samsung 10%
TSMC 24%

I would call this significant difference in battery life.

jlo1158

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2014
West County
I never held my iphone like shown in that nokia image. I never death gripped my phone. It was proven just touching the little line would take down the reception to an usable point. Totally different phones, and a graphic in an old nokia manual is irrelevant to the iphone design with this spot RIGHT WHERE YOU PUT YOUR HAND.

The only thing that image proves is how truly poorly designed the iphone 4 antenna was if this was common knowledge in phones.

Gah why did I respond. It is like watching a car crash. Just sad, but you can't help but look.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”
Mark Twain

Reactions: Demo Kit

mkimid

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
USA
ALL mass production manufacturing has 'tolerances' allowing for variances of anywhere from 2 - 7% depending upon the product and industry. There is nothing to look at here - nothing surprising.

Hard to agree with you; in semiconductor industry, that not allowed, that is a fail of QC
They are sorting as the deferent grade of products not same

Reactions: Demo Kit

mkimid

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
USA

You can choice a menu before buy it

mkimid

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
USA

At the end of video results are,

Samsung 55%
TSMC 62%

If we then keep on going, and do the math;

Samsung 10%
TSMC 24%

I would call this significant difference in battery life.

Even stop at 55/62, we already have 7% of runtime different

darthpikachu

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
One more effect of the battery difference is that Samsung chips will use up your battery charge cycles faster. This means down the line (in 1-2 years time) battery in Samsung chipped phones will hold less charge than the equivalent TSMC chipped phone compounding the battery issue.

shinkansenwarrior

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
Tokyo
Ran down my battery (6S Samsung) from charging Thursday evening ...stopped Saturday evening so 2 days (48hours) for standby and 7 hours actual usage. No need to charge for 2 days not too shabby, eh? My 5S was screaming for juice within the same day so happy camper here. In my case, I found certain apps were not optimized for iOS9 and were draining more juice than desired in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_4783.PNG
    IMG_4783.PNG
    102.5 KB · Views: 93
  • batterycheck.PNG
    batterycheck.PNG
    102.5 KB · Views: 109

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
GSM ... and I mean ALL OVER THE WORLD, not only in europe

They also "silently" updated it with two antennas when the CDMA version was introduced. It dynamically switched between the two to avoid the bad reception problems.

You are the first person, and I do mean the first, that has not complained about iPhone 4 (first revision) reception. Congratulations on that milestone!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
They also "silently" updated it with two antennas when the CDMA version was introduced. It dynamically switched between the two to avoid the bad reception problems.

You are the first person, and I do mean the first, that has not complained about iPhone 4 (first revision) reception. Congratulations on that milestone!
you surely spoke with 60-70 millions of iPhone 4 customers out there .... sure
there were no further "revisions" of the iPhone 4. only one, sold for 4 years.
the CDMA is the only variant produced, to some carriers that doesn't use GSM frequencies

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
The brightness and volume are adjusted to minimum, and to turn off automatically to reduce the influence of the screen. ... The phones are fully charged to 100% and restarted.

…Test 1: Safari Javascript rendering complex animations. ... CPU utilization is running about 60%. After 38 minutes, the Samsung 14nm has 59% charge remaining [but the] TSMC 16nm has 74%.

…Test 2: NPlayer LAN RMVB video playback. ... After 106 minutes, the Samsung 14nm has 42% charge remaining [but the] TSMC 16nm has 57%.

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...dware/apple-iphone-6s-batterygate-itbwcw.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.