1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Apple Cleared to Sell iPhone in South Korea

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 23, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple has received governmental approval to sell the iPhone in South Korea. The move appears to mark a substantial opening of one of the most closed mobile phone markets in the world.
    An Apple job posting in July 2008 suggested that Apple was looking to launch the iPhone in South Korea, although it has clearly taken considerable time for the company to work through various regulatory obstacles there to gain approval. Last month, claims of a deal with wireless carrier KT again sparked interest in the market. KT, however, has backed away from that statement, noting only that it continues to be in talks with Apple.

Article Link: Apple Cleared to Sell iPhone in South Korea

2. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I wonder how much of that 40 million market share Apple will put a dent into the first year? :cool:

3. macrumors 68020

theBB

I thought South Korea was CDMA only.

4. macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

A large percentage of their coverage is CDMA (though not the same variety as we've got on Verizon etc)...but recently, WCDMA (aka HSPA [3G services on GSM providers]) has become available there.

5. Moderator emeritus

sushi

This is definitely good news. Korea is a very closed market. Glad to see it opening up a bit.

6. macrumors newbie

And I thought South Korea is country nice.

7. macrumors 6502

Misinformation.

Not sure if it's correct to say South Korea is the most closed country in terms of cell phones. Motorola used to OWN the market when cell phones first entered ROK. Than Samsung and LG came out with their phones and slowly won over the market. Nokia basically pulled out because they just weren't selling enough. They were not locked out of the country. Same story with motorola.

8. macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow, this sounds like a big deal. i guess they think the iphone is just that good

9. macrumors newbie

Web browsing?

Will safari be able to run in South Korea. I thought internet explorer was explicitly necessary to do anything considered web browsing (i.e. plugins, etc.)?