Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whee900

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
Probably just guessed the right password... Given enough time, anybody could do something like that.

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
swingerofbirch said:
Oh my dear lord. What hath Apple wrought. Fox trotting and bunny hopping with these ads.

It reminds me of a rather boastful country: England. At one time the sun never set on England. At one time it made the world's most unsinkable ship the Titanic.

Now England can barely fill a time zone and Titanic sits at the bottom of the ocean.

For shame Apple. For shame.

Actually they boasted that God Himself couldn't sink her...and it wasn't England as a whole...just the obnoxious White Star Line.

As for Apple's boasting, they are just stating facts, whether people agree that OS X is invulnerable or not. Nothing is impossible. At least...we haven't found the impossible thing yet.

What if Apple is right though? What if OS X IS the "Unstoppable Force"?? The mind boggles... :D

However without all of the details we'll continue to see this thread fill up with more radical ideas than a French Economic convention. Sooooo....

Patience lads...patience.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
longofest said:
...As we can see, with Apple attracting more attention to themselves, it looks like we may see more and more exploits.

...glad to see someone's with me here :)

Word up. I know how to keep it real wit' my peeps from No. VA (McLean, personally).

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that this was in response to the advertisements--are they running in Europe as well as the States? Whoever it was probably tried several different localizations until he was able to pinpoint a hole in the .kr page.

There are some very sensitive hackers out there! I, for one, hoped Apple would advertise a specific (new) product rather than misleading generalizations. This is probably just a blip on their radar anyway.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
longofest said:
Was replying to nagroome's (sp?) post about mac users trying to assert that Mac is less vulnerable. I was making the point that we are often more vulnerable, even though exploits don't get written as often because we don't own as much of the market.

Hate to use your own source against you..

Mac OS X:
  • 2003: 23 advisories
  • 2004: 15 advisories
  • 2005: 22 advisories

Windows XP:
  • 2003: 30 advisories
  • 2004: 29 advisories
  • 2005: 45 advisories

I guess it depends on what your definition of "often" is. ;)

boncellis said:
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense that this was in response to the advertisements--are they running in Europe as well as the States? Whoever it was probably tried several different localizations until he was able to pinpoint a hole in the .kr page.

Again, looking at the attacker stats on the Zone-H site, it appears that By Dinam has been a busy little beaver.
I'm confident that is has little to nothing to do with the ads.

http://www.zone-h.org/defacements/filter/filter_defacer=By Dinam

Enjoy.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
shawnce said:
You should see the logs from a Mac OS X server I run at home (good old little cube) that has publicly available ssh port... miles and miles of username / password attempts. That is why I have a 20 digit password minimum for any user on that system.

I only enable SSH from a narrow set if IP addresses. Even if one of your SSH users need access from a DHCP configured machine his IP address would come from a relatively small pool.

Requiring ong passwords can be counter productive. Users will either make up easy to remember passwords like "onetwothreefourfive" or they will write down the password or (worse) store it in some text file.

Our company uses a combination of single use password and a normal user password. So a compromise of either does no harm.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
just to stem the discussion, website hacks are common and are typically the result of poorly configured scripts or security holes in apache/php.

and defacement of a file doesn't necessarily mean the person could have run arbitrary code etc...

the fact that it ran under Mac OS X isn't necessarily relavent, and if it were a random Mac OS X site and not Apple.co.kr, it wouldn't have made page 1. Even with Apple.co.kr, it was somewhat debatable, but enough sites had picked it up already.

arn

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
ChrisA said:
I only enable SSH from a narrow set if IP addresses. Even if one of your SSH users need access from a DHCP configured machine his IP address would come from a relatively small pool.
I was talking about a personal server of mine, memorizing a strong 20+ character password is normal for me... :)

We use two factor authentication around here otherwise.

wandering

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
Microsoft Frontpage Apache Extensions?

If you look at the source of applestore.co.kr there's a meta tag that was left my a Microsoft Web Page editor.

"<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2730.1700" name=GENERATOR>"

Do they update their site with Frontpage? If so then that means that MS frontpage server extensions might be installed on Apache. Maybe a clue.

That meta tag doesn't come up on apple.com/store, so maybe the web servers are set up differently and apple.co.kr isn't as secure.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
arn said:
just to stem the discussion, website hacks are common and are typically the result of poorly configured scripts or security holes in apache/php.
Yup.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
yellow said:
Again, looking at the attacker stats on the Zone-H site, it appears that By Dinam has been a busy little beaver.
I'm confident that is has little to nothing to do with the ads.

http://www.zone-h.org/defacements/filter/filter_defacer=By Dinam

Enjoy.
I think dinam needs a girlfriend or an alternative form of distraction, like maybe to go outside and play in the traffic for a bit judging by that list of websites that have been hacked or defaced.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
winmacguy said:
I think dinam needs a girlfriend or an alternative form of distraction, like maybe to go outside and play in the traffic for a bit judging by that list of websites that have been hacked or defaced.

Either that or switching to decaf. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
longofest said:
From Secunia's 2006 statistics so far this year:
Of 6 Mac vulnerabilities this year:
  • 2 are rated Exteremly Critical, 1 remains partially unpatched
  • 2 are rated Highly Critical, 1 remains unpatched

Of 7 Windows XP Pro vulnerabilities this year:
  • 0 are rated Exteremly Critical, 0 unpatched
  • 2 are rated Highly Critical, 0 unpatched

Or, a broader perspective:

Windows XP Home:
http://secunia.com/product/16
23 out of 116 advisories, rated up to Highly Critical, are marked as unpatched by Secunia.

XP Professional:
http://secunia.com/product/22
27 out of 131 advisories, rated up to Highly Critical, are marked as unpatched.

Internet Explorer 6.x:
http://secunia.com/product/11
19 out of 99 advisories, rated up to Moderately Critical, are marked as unpatched.

Safari 2.x:
http://secunia.com/product/5289
1 out of 3 advisories, rated up to Not Critical, are marked as unpatched.

Mac OS X:
http://secunia.com/product/96
1 out of 69 advisories, rated up to Highly Critical, are marked as unpatched.

In any case, you may be confusing a couple things if you find yourself arguing against Mac users who contend (as I do) that Macs are more secure than Windows.

1. Personal computer security from viruses and web server security from defacement are two very different things. We usually discuss the former, but this is the latter.

2. Number of vulnerabilities isn't the be-all measure. There's also the likelihood of that vulnerability being exploited. Even within a category (like "Highly Critical" by Secunia's criteria), not all vulnerabilities are created equal. Design and target size both are factors there.

But when all the oversimplification is said and done, I still see Macs being a much safer platform to have my data on--and I do NOT see users claiming that safety is perfect. It isn't--it's just much better than Windows. (BOTH by design and by market share--and both advantages are here to stay.)

Was your objection against Mac users saying we're perfectly safe? Or against Mac users saying we're safeER?

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
wow. you guys are seriously sensitive about this security risk stuff...

too bad OS X is getting less secure every day...

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
nagromme said:
Or, a broader perspective:

Windows XP Home:
http://secunia.com/product/16
23 out of 116 advisories, rated up to Highly Critical, are marked as unpatched by Secunia.

XP Professional:
http://secunia.com/product/22
27 out of 131 advisories, rated up to Highly Critical, are marked as unpatched.

On a realated note: Woman has purse snatched after parking her Toyota and this get listed as a "toyota related security problem" Has with the person who just drove a Honda geting listed as a "Honda problem". So if someone gues a password on a Solaris system doesthis count as a "Solaris Problem".

What you all have to remember is the Mac OSX is UNIX. It rund the same server code that runs on Linux, Solaris and BSD. Apache is Apache. It don't mater if Apache drives a Toyota or a Honda. In this case it likely was not even Apache that was exploited. More likely it was something in Apples web design

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
benpatient said:
Yeah, 'cause my Mac is slowly uninstalling system and security updates all on it's own...

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
This didn’t seem to have any political point, less sending people to the hackers email. It doesn’t state anything about an activest group, a microculture with in Turkey, or political party.

from Zone-harchive. <!--#include file="database.asp"-->
<!--#include file="Server-CreateObject.asp"-->

<%
If hacked.eof then
Response.Write (" This Web Page Hacked ")
Response.Write (" Hacked By Dinam ")
Response.Write (" RSA key fingerprint : 4f:b8:e8:83:h7:82:1g:t4:2e:49:72:41:f2:19:66:ea ")
Response.Write (" Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? ")
Response.Write (" yes ")
Response.Write (" Root: Hacker By Dinam ")
Response.Write (" password: ******* ")
Response.Write (" Md5 : 3f3082fd88c694198de78162285940bf ")
Response.Write (" Checksum : --->> Game Ower :) ")
End If
%>

I think we can rule out any brute force methods, so either this guy applied some social engenering (or was socialy engineered her/him self) or he did some great data scaveging and extrapolated out some sort of pattern to Apple’s password. Likely she/he spoofed his address along with any password requirements.

Well done (I don’t condone defacement of sites, but I admire the effort). This was a lot of work for this person to do, regardless of what loopholes were exploited.

It seems like the hacker gave Apple a break by not having any vulgarity or a clear message (other than self aggrandizement.)

Is it page one news... no.

Also, Kudos to Apple for catching quickly.

wnurse

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
eva01 said:
who thought it was invulnerable?

:rolleyes: Nothing is invulnerable

The people who say viruses cannot be written for the mac (and there are a lot of these people).. now, this is not a virus and heck, who knows what was hacked (apache, OSX??) but yeah, a lot of people said OSX was invulnerable. If you want to find out who they are, go read any thread that discusses viruses in the microsoft world. I'm sure you'll find many mac fanatics loudly exclaiming how that could never happen on a mac. Make a list of the names and then examine it carefully, You might be surprised to find yourself on it.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
benpatient said:
wow. you guys are seriously sensitive about this security risk stuff...

Actually it's a two fold problem.

1.) Perception- we are finding out about problems as we look for them. They were always there in OS X, but as we find them, it looks as though there are more. So in this case I disagree.

2.) Reality- As any OS adds features, 3 things happen. It becomes larger. It has more bugs. It has a larger number of security holes/flaws. So as Apple adds features I agree, but on a day to day basis the OS it's self is not becoming less secure.

MicroSoft, Sun, Apple and the Open source OS s are all making larger and larger OS S, with more features, more bugs to fix, and with intentional and unintentional security holes.

I do wonder why people are touchy about pointing out OS X’s exploits. One can’t preach the virtues of one’s self with out also acknowledging ones foibles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.