apple.com 1996-now

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by phreakout13, Feb 21, 2005.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

I don't know if everyone already knows about this, but if you go to webarchive.org and type in apple.com, you can see what the website looked like as far back as 1996. It's so cool for me cuz I've only been visiting their site daily for about 2 years. It was way different before 2000, and it's awesome to see how the company evolved when Steve came back. Some of the pics are gone, but many are still there, as well as some movies.

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Ah, the ol' black menu bar near the bottom of the page. Boy, does that bring back memories.

3. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Thanks

That nice I had not seen any of those before :rolleyes:

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

haha- talk about deja vu... i remember a few of those old pages... great link! :D

5. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Cool site. Some great stuff on there:

World's Fastest Home Computer
    What's a machine this fast doing at home? The Power Macintosh 6500 runs at blistering speeds of up to 300MHz.

Yeah, blistering alright. And the laptop:

World's Fastest Laptop
    The blazingly fast (240MHz) PowerBook 3400 gives you state-of-the-art multimedia, advanced communications capabilities, and flexible expansion options.

I can't believe how far computers have gotten in just a few years.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

7. Chimera macrumors 6502

Yeah the web archive site is always really cool: just look at the original macrumors pages with supposed scoops on the powerbook G4 and what the case design would be like :eek: :D

One thing this does show about the Apple site is how little it has changed since about 1999 when its design changed.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I used to go to Apple's website all the time on my Powerbook 180c when our family first got a dialup connection back in '95. I spent a lot of time drooling over the Powermacs. :D

9. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i KNOW RIGHT!!! crazy howprices have dropped as well

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

My 1998 WallStreet G3/233 was $2569 will floppy drive and a minimum of everything. Ugggh.

12. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

13. Crikey macrumors 6502

*I* can. I *have* a PowerBook 3400, and it's flat funny to think it was the fastest laptop on the planet (at least as measured in CPU cycles) for a while. Funny also to think that its list price when introduced was something like $6500. Thank human ingenuity, competitiveness, and gadget lust for progress!

Crikey

14. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

That's so funny - that site came up in a Google result a couple of weeks ago, and after I saw it, the first site I tried (obviously) was Apple's. It was a blast - a great example in general of how web design has evolved (simple text based, ect), and it's amazing to see some of the stuff that's changed - iCards had their own TAB? Apple's current website design in my opinion is 100% spot-on, it is most certainly the best company webpage I have ever been to (apart from maybe Pixar, although they don't have as much stuff to show). It seems the progression to perfection took a while.
    I wonder if they'll ever give their layout a complete overhaul? Maybe with OSXI. Who knows.
    The only problem with WayBack is it's (understandably) SLOW. I really take my high speed for granted, lol.

15. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

yeah, i have teh wayback javascript bookmark and ive tried apple.com sometimes, really cool.

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

wow! thats a pretty sweet site. It's so cool seeing all those old versions of sites. Like google.

17. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

18. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

OMG Apple's website, I mean this in the utmost respect, sucked back in 1996, I love their site today, I just keep on visiting it.

EDIT: Lol so did Microsofts

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Does anyone remember the G4 Supercomputer commercial? The G4 was so fast, the US government classified it as a supercomputer and it required a special export licence to countries like China. That ad, believe it or not, was what made me switch to the Mac, as well of course, with the introduction of Final Cut Pro.

It's funny I'm typing on a PB on my lap now. A supercomputer on my lap! :D

20. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. The commercial with MiniMe & Yao Ming, CLASSIC! :D

21. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

22. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Awesome!!!

I love that link!! It's so cool to see what Apple.com looked like in the days of the CRT iMac and older PowerMacs, PowerBooks, etc.