Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I've restored the deleted posts. as clearly there's a natural direction this thread will take.

other forum rules are in effect. no direct insults. these threads tend to degenerate so keep it civil.

arn

butnotforme

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2007
disappointing

I was really bummed when I opened up and saw Gore on the front page. I can't stand that man and his false message. It's too bad Mc had to involve such nonsense with their great product. I love Mac way too much to stop buying, but I will say that I've lost some respect for them...

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
For example, when we volunteer at Christmas to send gifts to the soldiers serving overseas or help buy gifts for underprivileged children. That stuff never would make the homepage though.

As noble as those actions are they do not equate to winning a Noble Prize. If you won a Noble Prize, you'd have it on your homepage, trust me.

I think we should amend this with.... "since 2003, or whenever it was his movie came out."

I swear, everything must have been fine with the climate before then because I never heard so much about it until now. And I sure as hell don't remember it being a part of Al's initiatives during his '01 run. Convenient...or inconvenient?

Many people knew all about the problem of climate change long before the film. That says nothing about climate change and everything about you.

cadex41

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2004
abuse of power

I love apple, and I have for years. I'm one of those people who checks the website everyday, just to see if something new is out!

But this is a little unprofessional. If Steve Jobbs wants to promote what gets him off, get a blog.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
cadex41 said:
I love apple, and I have for years. I'm one of those people who checks the website everyday, just to see if something new is out!

But this is a little unprofessional. If Steve Jobbs wants to promote what gets him off, get a blog.

I agree, Apple should stick to what they have always done, just focussing on products:

jimmycarter.jpg

applehomepage.jpg

apple.jpg

harrisontribute.jpg

applehome.jpg

(All images fromThe Mac Observer)

Apologise for the scrolling, but people have such short memories!

This won't be the first or the last time the Apple homepage looks beyond its own products to the wider world.

barryd

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks Arn for restoring the posts. Nobody gains anything by deleting one side's opinions.

what is wrong with the people who rated the thread negative?

It's funny because I was thinking the same thing...except replace the word "negative" with "positive." Oh well, to each his own. I'm going back to bitching about Mac Pros and their Commodore 64 GPU.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I think it's great that Apple shows off this accomplishment. Congrats.

On another note, I'm rather disgusted by the posts of so many on here. I use to respect the manners of people here, but apparently those days are gone.

LastZion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
I agree, Apple should stick to what they have always done, just focussing on products:

This won't be the first or the last time the Apple homepage looks beyond its own products to the wider world.

Great post, thank you!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
The Nobel Prizes are the most prestigious prizes the entire human race has to offer.

Not all recipients have been saints, and probably not one has been in truth saintly.

Instituted by Alfred Nobel, the inventor of dynamite, one of the greatest killers of the 20th century, the winners of the prizes are as complex as Alfred was himself.

Environmental issues are one of the greatest global challenges facing us, and whatever the reasons behind it, it is as complex as any other issue facing us adults who no longer live in a simple, black and white world.

Al Gore, with a wealth built on oil, is spending that same fortune on trying to make the world a better place. Just as Alfred Nobel did with his money from explosives.

Like many people, I disagree or am uncertain with some elements of the environmental issues presented to me today, but the overall thrust is compelling.

I remember campaigning on environmental issues 15 years ago. At that time it was seen as pretty wild and loony to even think about it. Today, it's become one of the most mainstream issues.

Banks, bankers, stockbrokers, national governments, accountants, laws and lawmakers, supermarkets, scientists, all have shifted to a strong focus on environmental issues to an extent completely unimaginable decades ago.

It took a *lot* of people and a *lot* of work to get to here, and we have a lot further to go.

But Al Gore seems to have been one of the main people responsible for getting it through the heads of people in power that there's something they should at least pretend to take seriously, instead of dismissing it as something that only affects plants, animals, poor people, and non-voters.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY

jimmycarter.jpg

The only one that matters is the first one. I did not know there was precedent. I withdraw my objection. Thank you for presenting some facts in this argument.

I stand by all awards being equal though.

viper002060

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
i believe that most people who tend to buy macs, tend not to be ignorant and stubborn. plus al is on the apple board of directors and he did use a powerbook in his award winning film, and i think it is only fair that they honor his hard work on their home page and let their customers know that they support the cause. brave move on apple's part, but it was the right thing to do.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Yes it is? Why would they have that up there? Kind of dumb to have on your front page, and can alienate some customers. They should have products up there!

"We are bursting with pride"? :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm amazed that this would be an Apple headline. I guess they had to say something to make it into an Apple headline.

Up next, a story about Hillary that strangely turns into a story about how iPods are helping her educational initiatives.

Rudy was in a crisis, and his iPhone bailed him out.

Obama almost missed the deadline to announce as a candidate, but realized at the last moment that he was standing next to an iCafe. He rushed in, and an Apple employee helped him get his form filled-out and submitted over Apple's express network with the latest MacBook. Good thing Apple was there or he'd have missed the cut-off.

Bush fumbles, but it's not his fault. He was using a PC. It locked-up, and sent the wrong command. Instead of withdrawing the troops, it sent the entire Army and National Guard.

You see, it's all Apple, all the time. Everything that happens in this world is an Apple commercial :D

Merser

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
NJ
Although I personally think Al Gore is full of crap, I don't think people should be alienated by some Nobel Prize winner a company chooses to recognize on their front page. Yeah, Apple supports Gore, but that doesn't mean they're not still Apple, who has been churning out amazing products for as long as I can remember... (No rants about Al Gore, there's other threads for that!) :D

He's on the BOD? :O Whoa.

I agree wholehearteldy. Although I do not support Al Gore nor his theories on "man-made" climate change. I have trouble buying into anything that is not allowed to be questioned... "the consensus is in... the discussion is over..." "Oh that scientist over there that disagrees with our findings... he's just a denier.." (ie see the above thread... "Any fool that believes otherwise is completely disconnected from reality and the scientists actually in the field.")

Well anyway, thats all for a different day and different thread on a different site....

I see nothing wrong with Apple wanting to acknowledge the hard work and efforts of one of their board members. If he wasnt on the board, then I would probably feel a bit otherwise.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
I'm all for Al getting the congrats he definitely deserves, but I'm still a bit confused...

This year's Nobel Prize winning physicists, France's Albert Fert and Germany's Peter Gruenberg, pioneered "giant magnetoresistence" which is at the heart of today's magnetic hard drive technology. Their Nobel work accounts for the guts of nearly everything Apple makes, and they haven't received even a blip on Apple's Hot News or homepage. Seems Apple owes a lot more appreciation to those guys than good ol' Al.

FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.