Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I don't know where to put it but I'm getting an iPod soon and I was wondering if apple.com charges sales tax. Thanks in advance!!!

rkristich

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Punta Gorda, Florida
Yes, you will be charged sales tax, based on what your state's sale tax rate is.

According to Apple:

Tax rate
In accordance with state and local law, your Apple Store purchases will be taxed using the applicable sales tax or seller’s use tax rate for your shipping address. If the tax rate changes before your purchase is shipped, the rate in effect at the time your order was received into our system will apply.

If you don't mind not ordering from Apple.com, I don't think Amazon.com charges sales tax.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
depending on which ipod you order it might be cheaper to get it from a place that didnt charge sales tax, rather than use your $30 coupon. like if you got the 60gig ipod and payed $369 with 10% sales tax, that's $36.90 in sales tax, making it cheaper to pay full price without sales tax. just a thought though :) i ordered mine with edu discount since i got it for $269 with 7.75% (iirc) tax so it came out cheaper

guitarded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
OK, one other thing, is it possible to get the same 30$ discount if you buy from a local apple store instead of the website?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
guitarded said:
OK, one other thing, is it possible to get the same 30$ discount if you buy from a local apple store instead of the website?
Yes, but they'll probably ask to see your student ID.

guitarded

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Richmond, VA
okay thanks. I was going to order online until I saw that it could take up to a week to ship. That's why I wondered about the apple store itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.