apple.com vs apple store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by soleil1601, Dec 24, 2004.

1. soleil1601 macrumors newbie

Well I've been researching my upcoming iPod purchase as soon as I discovered I would not be getting one tomorrow for Christmas. I did not know about (but am so excited) about the educational discount that can be used both online & at stores.

So here is my really bizarre question...
    While I want to run to the Apple Store immediately on December 26th, are computer products taxed? I'm from Pennsylvania, but go to a school in a state without sales tax on most things (leaving me perpetually confused), so I just want to know if it's worth the shipping wait to save my 10% without tax online, but obviously if there isn't sales tax I would just go to the store.

Ah yes stupid question, but that's the only thing holding me back from pressing the purchase button right now on apple.com!

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I don't know how tax works over on your coast. If you're buying from a state where there is a sales tax, then yes, your iPod will be taxed.

Just to let you know: you may not be able to get the edu price at an Apple store. As a matter of fact, you probably won't. To get the edu discount, you will probably have to go through apple.com's online edu store, or maybe check your university computer store (if you have one) to see if they sell iPods there.

3. kerb macrumors regular

my local Apple re-seller (in the UK) gave me an edu discount on an iPod. I'd check.

4. MentalFabric macrumors 6502

MentalFabric

I don't know about the taxes, but you can get the edu discount at the store as long as you have a student card.

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Here in the DC area the Apple Stores do give EDU discounts on hardware. Not sure if the iPod is part of that or not though.

6. Rubin421 macrumors member

In NY it is, and I would suspect it's the same everywhere.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Apple Edu Prices

Apple stores offer the edu discount on all apple hardware products at either the brick and mortar or the online stores. Sales tax is not charged on shipped items unless apple has a physical presence in your state or the state does not charge tax.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Keep in mind a store front is not the only requirement for a "presence" for sales tax to be collected.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Whether a local Apple Store allows a student discount seems to vary with. So it would be best to call ahead. I like the personal touch of going to my local store, in my case I would be taxed either way. If the location of your school doesn't have a sales tax, then it would be best to wait.

10. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

my local apple store offers edu discount on everything in the store but using it at least for me seems impossible they say my student ID isnt enough to prove im a student im not sure what they need to see so il use the online apple store

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

huh?

What store do you go to? The Phoenix location requires a student ID, class schedule OR some sort of directory proof. It's pretty lax...