Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
I just saw the Apple blurb below on the homepage.

This implies to me that Apple is committed to MS Office which means I don't expect to see Apple release any more software that competes directly with Office or one of it's components (as some hoped iWrite would)

edit: oops forgot the image! So I'll just have to tell you what it said:

It's Microsoft Office for the rest of your life.

Introducing iLife '04

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
What they are saying is "It does for you outside of work what Microsoft's Office product does for you at work."

They are NOT saying that "You are stuck with Microsoft's Office for the rest of your life."

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
I think you are on to something. Why else would Apple bring MS up on stage to demo the new Office? Why would they make so many references to Office throughout the keynote (such as the iLife comment)?

I don't think we'll see an Apple Office anytime soon. Apple is promoting MS Office too much to turn it's back now.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
The quote pertains to iLife and has nothing to do with Office. It's just making a comparison that just as Office is used for everything work-related, iLife is used for everything"life" related. Office 2004 does look great though, so I don't see Apple being in a rush to get rid of it anytime soon.

KershMan

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2003
VA, USA
Originally posted by dukemeiser
I think you are on to something. Why else would Apple bring MS up on stage to demo the new Office? Why would they make so many references to Office throughout the keynote (such as the iLife comment)?

I don't think we'll see an Apple Office anytime soon. Apple is promoting MS Office too much to turn it's back now.

I think this is spot on. From a marketing perspective, the comment acknowledges that Microsoft is king of the office suites. Apple would have a very hard time marketing their own office suite.

Now, they still may make a consumer level application ala Microsoft Works (like an updated Appleworks). But from a business perspective, I think Microsoft Office is it. And it is pretty damn good to begin with.

Think about how much Keynote is lacking in functionality and how long it would take Apple to make up that ground across an office suite. Just wouldn't happen that fast.

But, Microsoft is not providing a consumer level package and that is where I think there is a market place for Apple. Update Appleworks and sell it cheap.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
I think a couple of you missed the point of my comment. I also think dukemeiser summed it up well.

There's been a lot of talk and hope in these forums that Apple would release a competitive product to MS Office. Also, I was told six months ago by an Apple Centre salesman that everything pointed to MS dropping Office for the Mac and that v.X would be the last ever.

As dukemeiser summed up better than me, MS Office is here for a long time yet, and Apple are giving it a lot of support.

That ad not only says iLife is the best choice for those sorts of apps but says too:
- Office is the best choice in it's field (which is gunna sell more Office for Mac)
- Macs have Office (which will sell more Macs)

Yep - as I said a couple of months ago, Steve and Bill are buddies and that looks like lasting a long time yet.

PS In all, the ad says, the only place can you get the best Office product and the best iLife type apps, is on a Mac.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
yeah, I thought of that during the keynote too, and it disappointed me. i was really hoping for an apple-made alternative to Office in the near future. ah well...

blueflame

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2003
Studio City
CHarisma

Wow, the microsoft people hurt me on stage, i felt like i was wathcing someone lie to me. It hurt to watch. I was seriously squinting the whole time they were on stage, the difference between the salespeople from mirosoft and the chraisma of steve is amazing
AK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.