Apple Competing with Dell Over Largest Order Ever

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacBytes, Oct 6, 2003.

1. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC

I wish I really believed that Apple "had the edge" because of their previous high-profile iBook deployments. The reality is that Dell can easily undercut any offer Apple makes, if they so choose. Both companies have a lot of cash in the bank, but Dell still has the deeper pockets.

Add to that the fact that a lot of parents are going to want their kids to learn Windows because that's what's used in the "real world", and I see almost no chance for Apple to make this sale.

If I were Apple and I was trying to sell to 6th graders, I'd work the Unix angle. Basically, OS X is the easiest, most fun operating system, but at the same time students that are interested in technology can be introduced to the wonderful world of Unix, actually giving them a *huge* advantage. After all Linux (and increasingly OS X) are also part of the "real world".
  2. bosskxx1 macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2001
    I think that Apple could possibly have a lead in this bid becuase of a couple of reasons

1. Macs last longer
    2. Much less security problems (Cost less to maintain)
    3. Almost all educational software is aviable for the mac
    4. Not that many games for the Mac (Bad for consumers but a plus for high schools, because some students like to install some games and play on the network during study, and the teacher always has to de-install them)
  3. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    This will be interesting to watch. If the desicion is based on the total package (hardware, software, training, etc.) I think Apple has a good chance. If it becomes a question of which is less expensive (which is usually the case), then Dell or Gateway will most likely be the winner.
  4. sinbushar macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2002
    i don't think the money is really an issue...they already have a preassigned budget..and considering for how much it is will probably meet it...

i believe apple has the edge cause, think of it this way...they are sixth graders...they are going to want a fool proof system..something that cannot be messed up....i believe it's almost a sure thing for apple... laptops have relatively sharp edges...ibooks are rounded...liability ;) ....and dells just look ugly...ick

my 39 cents..

5. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Damn, I hope apple wins this.

They need to show they have the experience, and the necessary skills for this massive project...

Go apple.
  6. zamyatin macrumors regular

Jul 15, 2003
    Strong Odds for Apple

Dell seemed like a juggernaut a few years back, but Mac OS X and other moves by Apple have slowed or reversed that. Maybe the recent spate of viruses has also dimmed people's enthusiasm for monocultures in computer platforms. Or maybe people are just tired of Windows and all its errors, and have finally realized that if you buy Dell, you get Windows whether or not that's what you want. (Linux would be cool, but Dell's just too deeply wedged in MS' pocket to be smart like that.)

Apple's total package is and has always been better. People are once again realizing this.
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    it will depend if they want the best for the kids, if they go mac they will have it, if they go dell they will have it-it meaning a bigger IT dept.
  8. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    I think Apple has an edge, and will probably win for 1 main reason. and that is that they are even considering apple. most schools would go dell and never look back. but apparently letting apple in the door means something significant in my opinion. and with the success of the other schools I think Apple will win this easily. They will have nice laptops, durable laptops, preloaded with all the software that a student or teacher would ever need, a painless setup for airport cards and base stations, virus free, and much much more. and most importantly of all, they deal with one company. ibook messes up send it to apple, questions about the OS and talk to apple about it, setting up airport base staions and cards can be dealt with apple. there is no doubt in mind that apple will be able to blow them away with ease and power that comes with these laptops, and I know dell can undercut them. But when you are looking at this many computers and money, schools arent really thinking of the lowest price, they are looking for the best investment and what will get the job done.

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Apple Competing with Dell Over Largest Order Ever

Michigan plans to buy 130,000 laptops for 6th graders, this could be the most important sale for Apple ever if they get it.

Story Here
  10. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't think there's any contest: Apple will get the contract. The people making the decision will pay attention mainly to the preferences of the teachers, and also to other districts/states that have similar programs. Blah.... there's more to say but I can't think of it.
  11. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    Am I the only one thinking that this is totally mad, that they would be better off hiring more teachers and making smaller classes to improve the educational system ?

Oh well, at least it will be good for Apple. I am sure they are going to chose Macs, if only to reduce the risk of students playing games on the laptops. ;)
  12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Grr my thread was hijacked by MacBytes, my first post was the original submission of the story, well whatever.
    One thing may turn the tide in Dell's favor though, they may give alot of the laptops to the district for free, thus making them want to go with Dell.
    I hope Apple gets this.
  13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    MacBytes posted this yesterday, so no, your thread wasn't hijacked, it was consolidated. ;)
  14. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Man! When I was in 6th grade, all I had was a clone Apple ][, and a VT100 term with a 1200 baud modem. (Seriously!)

Pushing the Unix angle might be interesting. They should show that clip from Jurassic Park where the girl looks at the lab computers and says "This is Unix... I know this!"

15. yamabushi macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2003
    I hope that Apple will be able to deliver the units in a timely manner if they get the contract. Dell appears to be a little faster at ramping up production to meet peak demand.
  16. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, Ca
    At my sister's school (my old one) all of the 6th, 7th, and 8th graders get their own iBooks for the year. Ridiculous.
  17. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    It'll be Mac if those folks aren't foolish. I'm sure they'll talk to the Henrico folks. I did, and the Super there is one of the most intelligent men I've ever met. Henrico has REAL data, and I pray Michigan considers it.
  18. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    dell will dazzle them with low prices, apple will dazzle them with everything they want to do all in one computer, as well as coming close to dells price to seal the deal.