Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Applelogo1.png
During today's fourth quarter earnings call, Tim Cook announced that Apple has completed a total of 15 "strategic" acquisitions during the course of fiscal 2013, which equates to one acquisition every three to four weeks.

Over the course of the year, Apple has focused on purchasing quite a few mapping companies, with the aim of improving its mapping services. Acquisitions have included Embark, HopStop, WifiSLAM, and Locationary.

Apple has also recently acquired data compression startup AlgoTrim, personal assistant app Cue, wireless chip developer Passif Semiconductor, and discovery and recommendation startup Matcha.tv.

While quite a few of Apple's acquisitions have been made public, a number of deals have clearly remained under the radar and may come to light as Apple works to unveil products in new categories over the course of 2014.

According to Tim Cook, Apple has "great products" coming in categories that Apple does not currently participate in, potentially alluding to its iWatch or upcoming advances in the television industry.

Article Link: Apple Completed 15 'Strategic' Acquisitions in Fiscal 2013

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I'm looking forward to the future of Apple. Can't wait to see what's in store for us in 2014!

JayCee842

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2013
I can't wait to see the new categories! :D

Also hope that if they do end up going with a watch they don't pull of a Samsung. Don't rush the product entirely, but get it close to perfection. :D

----------

I'm looking forward to the future of Apple. Can't wait to see what's in store for us in 2014!

Macbook Air with Retina display? Hopefully. :)

Aye

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2013
I can't wait to see the new categories! :D

Also hope that if they do end up going with a watch they don't pull of a Samsung. Don't rush the product entirely, but get it close to perfection. :D

Oh you meant the ugliest product of the year? *cough Samsung Galaxy Gear ... The year's ugliest & useless biggest flop!*

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Great. Apple - just be sure to make those acquisitions before Google and the like. And while you're at it, please "acquire" more people for your mapping service, particularly as you've now released a desktop Maps app (problems I've sent in are yet to be fixed... 1 year on!!).

Last edited:

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
this year's acquisitions prove that Apple is running out of innovation

the only solution when you no longer have good ideas is to buy others'

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Over the course of the year, Apple has focused on purchasing quite a few mapping companies, with the aim of improving its mapping services.

You know how else they could improve its mapping services? Fix the friggin' misspelled street name in my neighborhood that I've reported via the Maps app at least a half-dozen times over the last year. :mad:

Seriously, does anyone even look at those user reports? :confused:

** Correction: two misspelled street names in my neighborhood I've reported multiple times. **

Last edited:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

This is a silly comment, because it suggests that the purchase of cool small companies is a new thing for Apple when every major success from the last 15 years relied heavily on buyouts, even if the final products didn't align with the original business plans of the acquired companies.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Desperate attempt to put a negative spin on things.

Buying a company is the same thing as hiring a new employee, just at a bigger scale. Do you think Apple shouldn't hire any new employees either?

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
You know how else they could improve its mapping services? Fix the friggin' misspelled street name in my neighborhood that I've reported via the Maps app at least a half-dozen times over the last year. :mad:

Seriously, does anyone even look at those user reports? :confused:

** Correction: two misspelled street names in my neighborhood I've reported multiple times. **

The maps STILL seem to think that the hiking trails in the state forest behind my house are car-accessible. Every time I try to get drections, I have to skip over the first route because the car can't go though the woods....

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London
"but apples not innovated in years, its like they are totally dead inside... they shouldn't be buying more companies cos they need to refind their passion"

"why didnt apple buy as many companies this year, as they did last year. Apple suck, they don't know what their customers want in their phones, or laptops. Can't they just buy google so my maps app will work"

uhhhmmmmm... I think we can all agree that Apples strategic acquisitions department seems to be paying off at the moment ;)

:apple:

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY

Or you know, get employees that you know are good for the job and work good together very fast and easy or you could just teach your employees that work on camera stuff and teach them to work on mapping stuff instead, seems logical.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Desperate attempt to put a negative spin on things.

Buying a company is the same thing as hiring a new employee, just at a bigger scale. Do you think Apple shouldn't hire any new employees either?

Perfect response. What is a company anyway? (rhetorical question)

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
I'd like to see apple, and if not another company get into the digitizer market to compete with wacom. Their products are great be cost way too much!!

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
Better they spend their money in the computer industry than throwing it away for the greedy Mr Buffet.

Actually Mr. Buffet said Apple management is great and should just keep doing what they are doing. Perhaps you mean another greedy billionaire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.