Apple Computer - From Proud PC Inventor to Niche Player

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Dec 1, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68020

revenuee

"In a surprise move, Jobs reached out to arch-enemy Bill Gates to be a partner. Gates, for his part, not only lent the distressed firm some 150 million dollars, but also committed to developing the crucial Microsoft Office software package for the MacIntosh platform. The colorfully designed iMac computers, successful laptop offerings, and portable entertainment devices like the iPod music player have helped Jobs lead Apple out of its crisis state."

I did not know this

3. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Yup. I still remember when Jobs made the announcement. I wasn't a Mac user then, but I was still like, "holy crap.":eek:

The article seemed kinda pointless. All it did was give a nickle tour of Apple's history.

Lethal

4. Moderator emeritus

I was interested in knowing that this author change NeXT Computer to NeXT Software, changing history forever. To add to this, he changed the name Macintosh to MacIntosh.

Perhaps, he should have been a bit more accurate and used a spell checker. ;)

5. macrumors regular

didn't office or maybe just word come out on the mac fist? wasn't it an investment rather than a loan?

MaT

6. macrumors 6502

It was an investment. And the whole thing is pretty ironic. But how much fun would it be if the whole world was Macintosh now. Nothing would've happend like it did. They would just be a huge monopoly with no innovation. Just somethin to think about.

7. macrumors regular

pretentious

I know Excel was first on a Mac, but I don't know if the rest if the suite was as well.

The whole 1997 thing is shady at best, it came out as a non-voting 'investment' by MS. but I have information that it was deeper than that.

8. Moderator emeritus

I believe that Office was first announced for Windows 95.

Word and Excel were available for Macintosh first. I don't remember the date of the originals but I recall using Word 4.x in 1990. There was also a DOS version of Word. MS' first spreadsheet application was Multiplan, which was available in GUI for Mac and MSX.

Remember that Microsoft was commissioned to develop MacWrite, MacDraw, MacPaint, etc. but Apple ended up doing the majority of the work.

9. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

I had MS Multiplan on my Amiga 500 in the late 80's. :D

10. macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

"I was with Apple on the day when IBM announced its PC. They weren't interested in the news at all," says Microsoft founder Bill Gates. "It took them an entire year to understand what was happening there."

Creepy! Bill Gates at Apple. Yes, I know the history, but still.