Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original Apple Computer Inc or current Apple Inc?

• Total voters

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I miss the old Apple Computer Inc which focused on developing new computers. If I could choose between it and the current Apple Inc which focuses more on consumer electronics such as iPhone, iPod, iPad, iWatch, etc., I would rather choose the old one. How about you?

Reactions: grahamperrin

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As per the bottom of there website...

Copyright © 2016 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Does it matter if they dropped the "computer" word from their name? I mean its just reflective of Apple's direction.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
As per the bottom of there website...

Copyright © 2016 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.

cheater :)

I would say Apple Computer... For the most part, they still make "computers".... apart from a smart watch which is still "a computer" u just wear it... so for me, not enough for a name change for consumables

If they bring more consumables out then ya it makes sense, but most of it currently is still laptops/desktops..

While a different direction, its still currently not much of one.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I guess I prefer former direction.
That's different, I suppose. You're saying you prefer the old apple (which used to be called Apple Computer).

I miss the old Apple too, but I also remember the old Apple struggling, and on the brink of bankruptcy. seemingly behind the curve with the PPC based Macs because Motorola and IBM could not keep up with Intel in volumes, and improvements.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
The Apple that I chose in the past was not defined by its company name.

… on the brink of bankruptcy. seemingly behind the curve … improvements.

The Apple that I chose was – for many years – comfortably somewhere between (a) that brink of bankruptcy and (b) a brink of inflexible, somewhat insular homogeneity.

Homogeneity per se is not troublesome. For me the trouble began with Apple's 2014 coupling of inflexibility with insularity (other customers might have sensed that coupling at different times) and altogether, the trio was a passion-killer.

Playing with words there so I threw a couple at DuckDuckGo and found Heterogeneous vs. Homogenous product ecosystems on SlideShare. Slide 9 asserts that heterogeneity does not win but then there's emphasis on quality and in final slide 11, the first key is Connection – how easily others can plug into the platform to share and transact. With attention to those two things:
  • quality is debatable
  • from the outside looking in, Apple's ecosystem is not a compelling platform for sharing.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
The combination of homogeneity, inflexibility and insularity

A recent comment by @yaxomoxay reminded me of the underlying thought.

Apple has become what Apple Computer mocked in 1984

Picture: a majority of customers as a crowd of people, gazing in just one direction (the Apple ecosystem), either unaware of – or too jaded to question – the wrongness of excessive conformity across a wide diversity of devices …

Or, maybe I'm wrong

For the Apple customer there is, at least: a choice of watch straps through which "the impression of plausible, physical nonconformity can be refined".

Reactions: yaxomoxay

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Those devices are all computers. You can emulate an Apple II or III on most of them, and a zillion times faster than the actual computers. An iPhone 6s is significantly faster at numerical scientific computing than a Cray X-MP supercomputer. (Figuring out how to get your Fortran IV card deck converted to Swift 3 code is a little more difficult...)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The combination of homogeneity, inflexibility and insularity

A recent comment by @yaxomoxay reminded me of the underlying thought.

Apple has become what Apple Computer mocked in 1984

wow! I feel honored.
However yes, I think that Apple is slowly becoming the new IBM or late 1990's Microsoft.
[doublepost=1472162250][/doublepost]
Those devices are all computers. You can emulate an Apple II or III on most of them, and a zillion times faster than the actual computers. An iPhone 6s is significantly faster at numerical scientific computing than a Cray X-MP supercomputer. (Figuring out how to get your Fortran IV card deck converted to Swift 3 code is a little more difficult...)

I don't think that the topic is on what kind of product Apple is developing. Rather, the trouble is the focus of it. If you develop a computer which is good, but with an eye on "fashion" (how slim, sleek etc.) is one thing, and it's not a problem.
If you develop a fashion item with computing power, well that's the problem. See Apple Watch, the rumored iPhone without a headphone jack, or the lack of new Macbooks.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
However yes, I think that Apple is slowly becoming the new IBM or late 1990's Microsoft.
Agreed, and I suppose it's enevtiable, but still, sad to see corporate bureaucracy take over. I guess its a natural progression for companies that are on top of the heap and grow so much

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
"Current Apple Inc which focuses on consumer electronics". Boy, talk about skewing the question. Answer that and you'd feel like a Watch-band thirsty hipster.

"Original Apple Computer Inc which focused on computers and nothing else" would have been more accurate for the other answer. Then see how many votes it would get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.