Apple confirm PowerBook memory problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Penman, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Penman macrumors regular

I just got off the phone with Apple who told me that PowerBooks with over a Gig of memory (not exactly a Gig) randomly lose their airport connection due to some problem in the software. I have 2 Gigs in my Rev. C 17" and it's been driving me nuts.

Please complain to Apple if you experience the problem - they have had some feedback but say they'll only expedite a fix if they hear from enough people to make it a priority.

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'd like to help, but my PB only supports 1 GB. Sorry.

3. Penman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks anyway. It's an FYI for those about to buy. Be warned - more memory can be a problem.

4. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Well that's not good. I was thinking of getting a 1Gb stick to put into my PB to make it have 1.25Gb of RAM. It's a good thing I decided to go with the 512MB stick instead!

What would too much RAM have to do with an Airport connection? Oh well, thanks for the info, I hope they address the problem.

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

hmm, i randomely lose my signal with the PowerMac. I wonder if its a problem in all Macs?

6. sandercox macrumors newbie

New 17" no airport reception

Well, I just received my new Alu PowerBook 17" it is supposed to have Airport build in but I've not had the pleasure yet of using it :(
    It is configured with 512MB standard apple ram + 512MB installed by my dealer but airport reception is as good as not available. I'm within 5 meters from my basestation, my iBook has full reception but the powerbook has none and flashes with on and off with 3 stripes but it is absolutely unusable.

Maybe I should try and remove the additional 512MB ram to see if that is the problem but I'm not liking this at all :(

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

8. sandercox macrumors newbie

I've just installed the update, I thought I had everything up to date allready (ran softwareupdate a couple of times) but it seems tha the update is very new :)

Unfortunately the situation remains the same overhere. Still no usable airport connection :(

9. citizenchunk macrumors newbie

i have a 1.5GHz 15" with the stock 2x256 config, and i'm having the same lost connection problems with AE. it seems to happen when coming out of sleep. a real bummer, as i have to manually enter the encryption password to get it back. :mad:

i'll try the driver tonight. good luck to all the other people with this affliction.

10. sandercox macrumors newbie

Ow, I feel stupid. I just remembered that I secured my Airport network by MAC address and did not yet added my PowerBook to the list... :D

It's working fine now :)

11. Penman thread starter macrumors regular

The update today seems aimed directly at fixing the problem based on the description given. I'll let you know when I've had a chance to take it out for a run.

12. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

So a single gigs ok? Yes?

13. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if you read his first post...you might be able to answer that for yourself. i still don't understand why people have over a gig of ram in a G4...but to each there own. If your going to spend that kind of money on a G4...get a G5.

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I wasn't aware that you could get a G5 PowerBook.

I have 1.25 GB in my G4 tower. It's cheaper than a G5, runs OS 9, and runs Virtual PC.

15. Penman thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. My G4 needs all the help I can give it. For $350 a stick RAM's cheap and as I've said before - a sub 2GHz G5 PB won't light my fire.

Anyway thanks for reading...

16. Penman thread starter macrumors regular

Yes - but the update seems to have fixed it now.

17. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

good to see you got it working sandercox,

Simple things always drive you crazy