Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Red-Logo.jpg
Apple is considering issuing about 200 billion yen ($1.62 billion) in bonds as early as June in Japan, in what would be the company's first fundraising activity in the country, according to Nikkei. The report claims that Apple plans to take advantage of low interest rates in Japan to procure the funds, which could be used to boost shareholder rewards and expand Japanese operations.
"Early this month, Apple started gauging potential demand for the yen-denominated bonds among regional banks, life insurers and other institutional investors," claims the Nikkei Asian Review. "The bonds will target Japanese investors but will likely be sold to overseas investors as well."
Apple has issued 2.8 billion euros ($3 billion) and 1.25 billion Swiss francs ($1.31 billion) in bonds since last year, and will reportedly benefit from an interest rate on bonds in Japan about 1 percentage point lower than in the United States. It was also reported in February that Apple was planning to raise $6.5 billion in a corporate debt sale. The funds are used for corporate purposes such as repurchasing of common stock and payment of dividends through Apple's capital return program.

Article Link: Apple Considering $1.6 Billion Bond Sale in Japan

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
/\ Has billions in his account, yet the ugliest guy in a suit I've ever seen....

More than just a suit, he represents all that is ugly in capitalism. Throw your money about then use and abuse your position to make, more money.

I'll be glad when he ******* off and finds another cash cow to feed off, leaving apple execs to focus on what is best for the company.

rmatthewware

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2009
I wonder if Apple is issuing the bonds on low interest, hoping that some day the US government will allow them to repatriate their oversea profits, without taking a huge tax hit, and pay it off.

Of course, my understanding of finance is incredibly limited, so I'm probably way off :D

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I wonder if Apple is issuing the bonds on low interest, hoping that some day the US government will allow them to repatriate their oversea profits, without taking a huge tax hit, and pay it off.

Of course, my understanding of finance is incredibly limited, so I'm probably way off :D

Yes, that is what they are doing.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I'd like to know if the US government lowered the rate by 10% how many companies would bring cash back to the US and how much more money the US govt would have vs not have.

Would it be wise to allow this "bring the cash back" to the US for a span of 60-90 days without a huge penalty?

minus.toes

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Apple here in Japan SUCKS. My house is filled with Apple products - MBPs, iPhones, Retina iMac, Apple Tv, etc. They have ALL had physical damage issues. I don't believe there's a product from Apple in this country which doesn't have some level of blemish to scratch to marks straight out of the box. And Apple Japan customer service is worthless.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Apple here in Japan SUCKS. My house is filled with Apple products - MBPs, iPhones, Retina iMac, Apple Tv, etc. They have ALL had physical damage issues. I don't believe there's a product from Apple in this country which doesn't have some level of blemish to scratch to marks straight out of the box. And Apple Japan customer service is worthless.
And yet Japan is the country where Apple has its biggest market share.
I've been lucky with all my devices but Apple Maps and some of their apps and services are a joke compared to the US versions.

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
Brilliant strategy, issue the debt in Yen and with the significant devaluation of the currency, it'll be cheaper to pay off as the Yen's value continues to fall against the US$ because of how much money they're printing.

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
And yet Japan is the country where Apple has its biggest market share.
I've been lucky with all my devices but Apple Maps and some of their apps and services are a joke compared to the US versions.

Maybe they get lazy because they have a big market share.

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
ELI5 please?

Apple is planning to issue bonds in Japan, a low interest rate environment, meaning money is extremely cheap. Instead of using solely the cash they generated, they can use debt capital to reduce their overall cost. Debt interest also helps companies pay less in taxes.

Prudent debt is good for corporates.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

Totally different experience here ... All scratches got applied by my wife ... The only "issue" I have that they declare my MBP17" as vintage quite early and don't really repair anymore. But that'd I assume more a HQ policy.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
More than just a suit, he represents all that is ugly in capitalism. Throw your money about then use and abuse your position to make, more money.

I'll be glad when he ******* off and finds another cash cow to feed off, leaving apple execs to focus on what is best for the company.

Capitalism will be better of when he dies.

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
I'd like to know if the US government lowered the rate by 10% how many companies would bring cash back to the US and how much more money the US govt would have vs not have.

Would it be wise to allow this "bring the cash back" to the US for a span of 60-90 days without a huge penalty?

Problem is that we've done that in the past, which only encourages more of the same activity by companies. If you break your rules to get short term gains, you keep encouraging the same behavior you don't want companies to do.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

We could lower the corporate tax rate by ~10% across the board, and not lose any tax revenues, if we closed all corporate tax loopholes. Some overseas money would get repatriated as well, which would be gravy.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
/\ Has billions in his account, yet the ugliest guy in a suit I've ever seen....

That's not uncommon among the super rich. :)

----------

Well considering the Apple products in Japan are the same as the ones anywhere else in the world, that probably has little to do with Apple Japan, eh? :) Speaking of which, what's that got to do with Apple doing a bond issuance in Japan?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.