Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Oh, yeah, from "The Most Transparent Administration... EVAH!"

I don't actually see the big deal. That's a pretty significant position, so I have to assume Apple's board thinks this guy can do the work. I find it a little silly that the focus is solely on the last 3 or so years of his career.

I got the impression that Steve tried to stop, or at least slow down, the revolving door between government and the corporate world. Tim doesn't seem to mind the revolving door given his likeness of fondling with the government world.

Usually when people complain about that, it's because someone took a cushy job with a company that they regulated in their prior position. This would indicate that they either sold out their principles or favored an industry they were supposed to regulate. Can you explain how that applies here, because I genuinely don't see it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wouldn't hire that guy to watch my pets for the weekend. Lousy choice, if true, Apple.

A hire like this would show that Cook is letting his personal politics cloud his judgement. I have a hard time believing there are no other qualified candidates.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Aren't PR figures at any of these corporations a bit outdated? We already know they're lying to us because their mouths are moving... Don't you think that cash could be better served somewhere else on the payroll? :rolleyes:

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
"doofus D.C. retread" - :S
This based on fox news? Based on his resume and what I heard of him (outside the podium), he seems like a brilliant guy. His expertise is what got him to the top and the President of the United States had enough faith that he will deliver the position of the administration day in and day out to the world.

That being said, I also do not feel that Apple and Jay Carney would be a good mix just because people's existing impression of him. Apple definitely does not want to alienate its die-hard republican/teaparty niche who might just boycott Apple products based on the hate they have of this guy.

He should just get into MSNBC or some other liberal leaning TV/Web based media.

Please don't do it Tim!

A doofus D.C. retread known for selling spin and obfuscation from an deeply incompetent administration is not the kind of experience or "talent" that Apple requires.

If hired, will bring a negative halo to the company as the John Browett of PR.

Apple needs to project power close to ideas, not ideas close to power.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I got the impression that Steve tried to stop, or at least slow down, the revolving door between government and the corporate world. Tim doesn't seem to mind the revolving door given his likeness of fondling with the government world.

That must be a different Steve than the Steve who put Al Gore on the Apple board.

Excellent point.

The question remains though- why? He doesn't know technology or business.

----------

"doofus D.C. retread" - :S
This based on fox news? Based on his resume and what I heard of him (outside the podium), he seems like a brilliant guy. His expertise is what got him to the top and the President of the United States had enough faith that he will deliver the position of the administration day in and day out to the world.

That being said, I also do not feel that Apple and Jay Carney would be a good mix just because people's existing impression of him. Apple definitely does not want to lose its die-hard republican/teaparty customers who might just boycott Apple products based on the hate they have of this guy.

He should just get into MSNBC or some other liberal leaning TV/Web based media.

Brilliant guy? A reporter who became Washington Bureau Chief for Time magazine? What is brilliant in his background? The press corps couldn't stand the guy.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Apple’s first pick, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf (Saddam’s minister of information) was apparently too busy to accept.

For those of you unfamiliar, He is best known for his grandiose and grossly unrealistic propaganda broadcasts before and during the first Gulf war, extolling the invincibility of the Iraqi Army and the permanence of Saddam's rule.

In the US he was popularly known as Baghdad Bob, in the UK as Comical Ali, and in Italy as Alì il Comico.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
A hire like this would show that Cook is letting his personal politics cloud his judgement. I have a hard time believing there are no other qualified candidates.

A post like that shows you don't know how executives are hired at companies of that size:p.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It's an odder-than-odd choice.

Carney's position at the WH was to stifle and re-arrange information for the press. He was a bulwark of frustrating miscommunication... that's not good PR. It didn't play to almost anyone.

So why a top PR position at Apple?

Surely there are much better prospects that can turn bland facts into thrilling news. Carney didn't have sparkling words or delivery. He merely had a poker face and a shameless visage despite the messages he was told to deliver.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Apple’s first pick, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf (Saddam’s minister of information) was apparently too busy to accept.

For those of you unfamiliar, He is best known for his grandiose and grossly unrealistic propaganda broadcasts before and during the first Gulf war, extolling the invincibility of the Iraqi Army and the permanence of Saddam's rule.

In the US he was popularly known as Baghdad Bob, in the UK as Comical Ali, and in Italy as Alì il Comico.

Fantastic reference. We need to find the clip of him on the streets of Baghdad discussing how the streets will run red with US blood while US troops stand a few yards away watching his press conference.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
A post like that shows you don't know how executives are hired at companies of that size:p.

When Katie Cotton retired re/code said Cook was personally leading the search for a new PR person. The head of PR isn't really an executive position and I doubt would have to be approved by the board. And even if it did, they're just going to rubber stamp whoever Cook chooses.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
So when you choose someone in Public Relations, don't you choose someone credible, believable, honest (at least publicly)? Only someone who has been a zombie for 4 years could ever say Jay Carney is credible in any way. I don't even think Obama believes Jay is credible anymore.

I actually have no idea who he is.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
So... you're looking for a PR person who doesn't hide the things the boss wants hidden?

Exactly how long do you expect your self-proclaimed "company" to last with hiring policies like that?

Uh, if I had a company, I would never ask or expect any employee, including a PR executive, to go about lying on a daily basis to cover my butt.

I would expect my self-proclaimed "company" to do very well by hiring with integrity. Mr. Carney has NONE!!

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I feel like people don't understand this job.

Do you trust the executives or don't you? That's pretty much all there is to it.

If you think that Tim Cook is going to tell the new guy to lie about stuff then why didn't you think Tim was telling Katie to lie about stuff?

What changed?

same person in different body.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Uh, if I had a company, I would never ask or expect any employee, including a PR executive, to go about lying on a daily basis to cover my butt.

I would expect my self-proclaimed "company" to do very well by hiring with integrity. Mr. Carney has NONE!!

At least Apple's butt probably needs to be covered less often than Obama's does.

----------

Honestly, I think the psychological toll of lying to people's faces just got to him. It must have been humiliating.

Yeah, he doesn't look very happy in that picture either. Must have been a bad job to have.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
When Katie Cotton retired re/code said Cook was personally leading the search for a new PR person. The head of PR isn't really an executive position and I doubt would have to be approved by the board. And even if it did, they're just going to rubber stamp whoever Cook chooses.

It may have been approved by the board, but I don't think he's on his own with hiring. I don't understand how people get so fixated on what the guy has done in the past few years when there isn't an inherent conflict of interest present. You do know the guy is probably looking for work right now. How does impart politics here when he wasn't in a regulatory position relative to Apple?

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, that is very funny. Carney is quite similar to Bagdad Bob. He could lie for an hour every day, with a straight face. Carney knew that every knew he was lying and it never even phased him (publicly at least). How can anyone respect him? How can he respect himself?

There is no way this rumor is true.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Look, if Tim Cook tells his employees to not talk about the iPhone 6 they'd darned well better not tell anyone about the iPhone 6.

I'm not clear why you think they should hire someone who'd just say "nuts to you, old man" and blab away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.